You are invited to join a team of dedicated development professionals whose primary role is to support Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa and Tokelau achieve the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the 17 Sustainable Development Goals. As part of the team of the UNDP Samoa Multi-Country Office (MCO), you will work with diverse stakeholders to find and implement country specific solutions that lead to the eradication of poverty, and ensure that no one is left behind and we reach those furthest behind first.
With specific focus on the MCO’s programme portfolio the area of climate change action, environmental sustainability and disaster risk resilience, you will be confronted with diverse development challenges, including addressing basic development needs, supporting institutional transformations to enable sustainable development, and enabling prevention of and rapid recovery from shocks, crises and conflicts by strengthening development pathways. These development challenges are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they often coexist, requiring tailored integrated solutions that can adequately address specific deficits and barriers.
UNDP is looking for individuals who have the analytical, planning and implementation capacities that can address links, choices and connections across issues and sectors, and have a keen eye for detail in making solutions work in practice. We seek people who are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to making a positive contribution to change in the four countries that we serve.
In the area of climate change, environment and resilience, UNDP assists countries in accessing environmental finance for sustainable development in five inter-related areas of work: (i) sustainable management of ecosystem goods and services; (ii) scaling up of climate change adaptation and mitigation; (iii) sustainable, affordable and accessible energy services; (iv) sustainable management of chemicals and waste; and (v) improved water and ocean governance. UNDP is an accredited implementing entity to different environmental vertical funds, including the funds managed by the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and the Green Climate Fund (GCF). As an implementing entity for these funds,
UNDP offers countries specialized technical services for eligibly assessment, programme/project formulation, due diligence,mobilizationofrequiredco-financing,projectimplementationoversight,resultsmanagementandevaluation,performance-based payments and knowledge management. In the four countries managed by the Samoa MCO, UNDPprovidesleadership,technicalsupportandimplementationoversighttothedeliveryofenvironmentalverticalfunds.
Under the guidance and supervision of the UNDP Assistant Resident Representative (ARR) (Climate Change, Environment and Resilience), the Programme Associate will facilitate the effective delivery of the environmental vertical funds portfolio, by providing support and oversight throughout the development, implementation, monitoring/evaluation and closure of projects. This includes effective portfolio data management and monitoring, to maximize the MCO’s timely compliance with UNDP and vertical fund requirements. The Programme Associate will work in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project teams in the MCO, technical staff in the UNDP Bangkok Regional Hub and HQ as well as staff in the UNDP Global Shared Services Unit's global team/staff to resolve complex programme-related issues and to ensure a consistent quality service delivery. S/he promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations, and should preferably come with a strong background and understanding of finance/accounting.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supports the formulation of programme and operational strategies, and adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Presentation of thoroughly researched information for preparation and implementation of UN Common Country Analysis, UNPS and UNDP’s Sub Regional Programme for the Pacific;
- Presentation of background information for formulation of project documents, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements;
- Effective application of Results-Based Management (RBM) tools and support to establishment and achievement of management targets. Establishment of mechanisms to track progress and maintenance of RBM database.
2. Provides effective support to management of the MCO programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Support to initiation of new projects, with responsibility for entering project into UNDP’s ERP system (Atlas) and preparation of required budget revisions;
- Provision of guidance to implementing partners and responsible parties on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources;
- Follow up on performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones, preparation of reports;
- Analysis of the situation in programme, identification of operational and financial bottlenecks, and development of solutions;
- Support to preparation and conduct of audits, and implementation of audit recommendations;
- Support to planning, conduct and follow-up to activities under the UN Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfers (HACT), including Micro Assessments and Assurance (Spot Checks, Programme Visits and Audits).
3. Provides administrative support to the Programme Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Review and quality assurance of the supporting documents for payments and of NEX/NIM project financial reports;
- Ensure proper controls of the supporting documents for payments, and review project and financial reports with the project teams on monthly basis. Maintenance of complete project documentation in an effective filing system;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system;
- Guiding the effective formulation of procurement plans and monitoring of their implementation; entering and updating UNDP-managed procurement data into the PROMPT system;
- Ensuring that all procurement and financial actions are undertaken in full compliance with the UNDP Financial Rules and Regulations, and Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures;
- In collaboration with the UNDP Global Shared Services Unit, correct supporting documents for payments and address budget check errors and exceptions.
4. Provides support in creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of information on donors, preparation of donor profiles and database, and establishment of contacts with donor counterparts as required;
- Tracking and reporting on mobilized resources;
- Implementation of the CO partnerships and resources mobilization strategies, preparation of reports.
5. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organizing and acting as facilitator/resource person in trainings on project planning, implementation and RBM for UNDP MCO staff and staff of implementing agencies and programme governments;
- Documentation and synthesis of lessons learnt and good practices in programme and project planning, implementation and RBM;
- Providing regular contributions to UNDP knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Adapts deliverables to meet client needs.
Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Proactively seeks and recognizes contributions of others.
Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Appropriately involves team in different stages of work and decision-making.
Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Expresses information and views with adaptive reasoning and appreciation for complexity and variation.
Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Takes responsibility for addressing critical situations and delivering core value.
Technical/ Functional Competencies:
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders, and forge productive working relationships.
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve certain goals.
- Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets.
- Ability to create a process to achieve financial goals.
Financial Reporting and Analysis-
- Ability to evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner.
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to insure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse of professionals towards common goals.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance or Bachelor’s degree in Finance/ Accounting Business or Public Administration or related area.
- Secondary education with at least 7 years or Bachelor’s degree with at least 4 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages as well as experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials;
- Experience handling administrative/ financial functions in international development sector would be an added advantage.
- Fluency in English and Samoan (written and verbal).
- This vacancy is open to Samoan nationals only;
- Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.