UNDP - Programme Analyst, Energy and Environment
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Sustainable climate and disaster resilience, as well as nature-based and low carbon growth is one of the pillars of the cooperation between the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Republic of Kazakhstan (RoK). As part of this, clean and affordable energy and nature-based (environment) solutions to development are implemented by UNDP across the country and for the benefit of its people to support the Government of RoK in implementing the Paris Agreement and other environment commitments. By supporting the expansion of the green economy to tap into new opportunities for jobs and businesses, UNDP in Kazakhstan partners with the Government and non-government organizations, United Nations agencies, development partners, and vertical funds (such as GEF, GCF, AF) to provide technical expertise to translate strategies into action, establish a monitoring framework for climate change adaptation and mitigation, and develop plans for transition to green energy, land management, biodiversity, reforestation, disaster risk reduction and waste management. The full description of UNDP priorities are reflected in the UNDP Country Programme Document (CPD) informed by the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework, which are available on: https://www.kz.undp.org/content/kazakhstan/en/home/about-us/legal-framework.html.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribution to policy advice and implementation of the programme strategies the area of energy and environment
- Programme Quality Assurance and Oversight in the area of energy and environment and supervision of the team as delegated by the CO Senior Management
- Strategic Partnerships and Resource Mobilization
- Knowledge Management
- Thorough analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and support the collaborative preparation/revision of CCA, UNSDCF, CPD and other corporate planning instruments. Support the management in the operationalization of UNSDCF and CPD through portfolios, projects and initiatives, including with funding from vertical funds (i.e. GCF, GEF, etc.);
- Identification of strategic and innovative programme areas of cooperation and contributing to their translation into action.
- Documenting good practices, covering concepts, strategies and implementation approaches and supporting the management in programmatic responses and policy actions.
- Preparing concept notes, project proposals and project documents to effect the implementation of the CPD and CPAP.
- Contributing substantive support to the leadership in the subject area through identification of key policy issues and formulation of policy options for UNDP both at national and sub-national areas; building and maintaining networks and alliances aimed at supporting national and subnational policy work.
- Supporting the process of preparation and implementation of the annual results-based work plans and result frameworks.
- Ensuring regular monitoring of progress, preparation of progress reports and organization of regular evaluations and reviews.
- Application of Results Based Management (RBM) including Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) methods in programme design and implementation.
- Ensuring organizational set-up and project management systems are fully functional and creating an enabling environment for high level performance of Project Implementation Teams; ensuring timely recruitment and availability of high quality and specialized Project Teams.
- Strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme.
- Following up on audit and other related exercises recommendations.
- Ensuring that results and lessons learned feed into the analytical and project work (i.e. results used to make decisions).
- Ensuring timely preparation of progress reports and submission to the Government and donors, including global vertical funds (GEF, GCF, etc.).
- Organization of cost-recovery system for the services provided by the CO to projects in close collaboration with Operations Manager.
- Acting ad manager level 2 approver in the ERP system.
- Analysis and research of information on partners including donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing;
- Mobilize and network with the experts of international development community, government partners, UN Agencies and prominent think-tanks. Build and maintain regular and substantive relations with partners;
- Prepare proposals for mobilization of human, technical or financial resources from international development organizations, non-government organizations and the private sector;
- Mobilize resources to support the achievement of programme outcomes;
- Contributing to the process of capturing good practices and lessons learned in the area of responsibility in the form of written papers and delivery of presentations as a resource person in knowledge management actions.
- Analyzing evaluations and studies and make proposals of lessons learned to be integrated into broader knowledge management processes.
- Contributing to the process of codifying knowledge in the area of responsibility for the purpose developing specific products to be used by the organization in the process of policy advice and programme delivery.
- Contributing to the national, regional and global networks of practitioners and experts including UNDP networks such as Global Policy Network (GPN) and others.
- Supporting the other units in the organization in preparing communication products about UNDP assistance and experience targeting the UN system, national government, local authorities, private sector, non-government and international development organizations.
- Any other related responsibilities as requested by the Management.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment
- Creates effective advocacy strategies;
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses.
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals;
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to UNDP’s mandate and strategic agenda;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings;
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor;
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach;
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned;
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the country level;
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms;
- Performs analysis of political situations and scenarios, and contributes to the formulation of institutional responses;
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for global advocacy work and adapts it for use at country level;
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective;
- Solicits feedback on service provision and quality;
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Energy or Environment, Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field. (or Bachelor’s Degree with additional two years of relevant experience may be considered)
- Min 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services, hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments. Sound experience in usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Proficiency in English and Russian and/or Kazakh.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.