Senior Operations Officer
San Salvador (El Salvador)
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Senior Operations Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Operations Officer normally works under the direct supervision of the Senior Operations Coordinator or Head of the Office and may have alternative reporting relationships depending on the structure and size of the Operation. S/he and will be the focal person responsible for liaising with Partners through sector meetings and other coordination mechanisms in the Area of responsibility (AoR). S/he will liaise with relevant sections at HQ/Region/Field on a wide range of issues concerning the operations such as protection, resource mobilization and allocations, human resources, budget, compliance, staff welfare and security matters. The incumbent may supervise professional and/or support staff. S/he will actively support the regional operational planning process, reporting and monitoring as well as mapping of areas where persons of concern are currently located in the AoR. The incumbent will contribute to progress on issues such as negotiations on Partnership Project agreements, contractual service agreements, and management of Administrative Budgets related to the AoR.
Within UNHCR, the incumbent has regular contact with other sections/units at Headquarters and with field offices on issues related UNHCR's programme in the operations/countries within the AoR. External contacts are with, UN agencies and NGOs on UNHCR's programmes in the operations/countries covered under the AoR.
- Serve as the focal point for the operations within the AoR and follow up on situational realities, challenges and developments which may have an impact on the refugees, IDP situations, and other persons of concern.
- Analyse information received concerning new refugee situations in the AoR and present coherent, consistent and credible proposals to address the emergency needs.
- Manage the process of gathering information, preparation of analytical papers and formulating recommendations for action for the operations within the AoR.
- Contribute to the preparation of action plans to address any operational/legal gaps that have been identified; and ensure advice/guidance is provided to field offices to improve the delivery of assistance of refugees and other persons of concern (PoCs).
- Provide guidance and support for communication, and sharing of best practices amongst countries/operations in the AoR as well as with other entities in the field and at Headquarters.
- Coordinate with field offices for provision of timely, coherent, consistent, quality information about their operations.
- In the bureaux, support senior staff in the preparation of the official submissions to the meetings of the Budget Committee and Contracts' Committee, and advocate for resources required for the operations to meet their objectives, especially during Annual Planning Reviews, Mid-Year Reviews and ad hoc resource allocation consultations. Analyse Country offices' requests concerning material requirements and staffing and initiate/coordinate appropriate action to provide Country offices with relevant and timely decisions and direction.
- In the field, coordinate and supervise the field activities in the areas of protection and programme in the AoR. Build the capacity of local partners and civil society through training and other initiatives. Liaise with local Government authorities and operational partners on issues relating to the protection and assistance of PoCs. Supervise and monitor the implementation of UNHCR projects.
- Monitor the implementation of programmes within the AoR through regular missions and participate in on-going needs assessments.
- Keep the various sections and technical units at the Bureau and HQ informed on issues related to the implementation of UNHCR's programmes within the AoR.
- Maintain a wide range of external contacts with Permanent Missions, donors, and civil society organization.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P4/NOD - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Political Science; Economics; Social Science;
Business Administration; Law; or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Experience in field operations. At least 5 years of relevant experience in an international capacity. Understanding of UNHCR mandate and operations.
Strong operational background and political awareness. Experience working with UNHCR; or other UN entities or partners preferably in the area of refugee or humanitarian operations. Proven track record in emergency preparedness, response and management.
MG-Field Operations Management;
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M006L3 - Managing Resources Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M002L3 - Managing Performance Level 3
X001L3 - Analytical Thinking Level 3
X004L3 - Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Level 3
X005L3 - Planning and Organizing Level 3
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies advertised in this addendum is Monday 14 June 2021 (mid-night Geneva time).