Nutrition and Food Systems Officer
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Food and Nutrition Security Resilience Programme (FNS-REPRO) funded by the Government of the Netherlands to FAO is a four years programme of USD 28 million that contributes directly to the operationalization of the United Nations Security Council 2417 by addressing the 'cause-effect' relationship between conflict and food insecurity, in Sudan (Darfur), Somaliland and South Sudan.
The FNS-REPRO Programme adopts an innovative area- and livelihood-based approach that looks at the multidimensional threats and risks that communities are exposed to, while identifying and utilizing opportunities for improved livelihood resilience. Value chains that can contribute to more resilient food systems resulting in improved food and nutrition security and localized peace dividend were agreed in the proposal
The Nutrition and Food Systems Officer reports to the Deputy FAO Representative in Sudan.
FNS-REPRO activities in Sudan will work towards resilient livelihoods and food systems, which contribute, to sustainable localized peace in the North and East Darfur States. The project will assist gum Arabic producers and value chain actors in the North and Easter Darfur States to increase their resilience and income opportunities by improving productivity and supporting the development of the value chain in both states. The project will also work towards the establishment of inclusive governance mechanisms and Natural Resources Management (NRM) plans between farmers and pastoralists.
Research and analysis of information, data and statistics, and the maintenance and updating of related tools, methodologies, and/or databases to support the delivery of programme products, projects, publications, and services.
• Researches and analyses [agricultural, economic, trade, market, social, environmental, nutrition/food composition and/or gender related] data, statistics and information to provide technical, statistical and/or policy related information and analysis to support the delivery of economic and social development programmes work, products, projects, publications and services;
• Produces a variety of technical reports and input for technical documents, divisional publications and/or web pages;
• Provides technical, statistical, and/or analytical services on various studies, projects, and/or assessments and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
• Participates in the development of improved/updated technical, statistical and/or analytical tools, methodologies, systems, databases, and/or key social/ economic/ environmental/ nutritional and/or early warning indicators, etc;
• Participates in multidisciplinary teams, collaborates with other divisions and agencies on work groups and committees and promotes best practices;
• Collaborates in capacity development activities involving the planning and organizing of training workshops, seminars, and major meetings and the preparation of related information, materials, online tools and information kits;
• Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations;
• Participates in resource mobilization activities.
• Contributes to the development of approaches for food systems analysis and for monitoring the effects of food and agricultural policies, and programmes on nutrition outcomes;
• Reviews and formulates recommendations for key agriculture commodities value chain development;
• Supports in developing guidelines for FAO's contributions to the nutrition governance mechanisms and policy dialogue;
• Compiles evidence, lessons learnt and good practices of FAO work and makes recommendations in nutrition-enhancing food and agricultural policies.
• Supports FAO Sudan work to enhance the capacities of the Food Security Secretariat in nutrition-sensitive policies, programming and investments;
• Provides technical support to the Food Security Secretariat (FSS) to monitor the food and nutrition policy and programme design, implementation and evaluation;
• Supports resource mobilisation for country office to improve healthy diets and improved nutrition;
• Supports innovative public-private partnerships for increased and effective agricultural value chain financing and business development;
• Supports gender mainstreaming in agribusiness and value chain development;
• Reviews and identifies gaps to formulate capacity building needs of agro-food value chain actors to implement food quality management systems and food loss reduction strategies;
• Supports the Food Security Secretariat for the implementation and reporting of the SDGs related to food and nutrition security;
• Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agricultural development and/or policy, nutrition, food science or a related field;
• Five years of relevant experience in integrating nutrition into agricultural policies and programmes;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge of nutrition and food systems policy and programme initiatives and multistakeholder processes;
• Extent and relevance of experience in the analysis and formulation of food security and nutrition policies and programmes for sustainability improvement in agricultural sector;
• Demonstrated analytical skills and ability to prepare publications, technical reports and other relevant materials;
• Extent and relevance of experience in analysing complex nutrition-sensitive food system issues;
• Working knowledge of Arabic will be considered as an asset.