Intern, Communications - Web
Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
Secretariat of the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
Office of the Director-General (ODG)
Publication/Transmission Date\: 2 June 2021
Deadline for Application\: 16 June 2021
Title and Grade\: Intern, Communications - Web
Duration of Appointment\: 6 Months
Indicative Remuneration\: Monthly stipend
Duty Station\: Remote Internship
Date for Entry on Duty\: As soon as possible
The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA) is an inter-governmental organization headquartered in Abu Dhabi, mandated to promote the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy in the pursuit of sustainable development, energy access, energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity. IRENA’s mission is to play a leading role in the ongoing transformation of the global energy systems as a centre of excellence for knowledge and innovation, a global voice of renewable energy, a network hub for all stakeholders and a source of advice and support for countries. At present, IRENA has 164 Members (163 States and the European Union) that acceded to its Statute, and 20 additional States in the process of accession and actively engaged.
The Agency implements its mandate with the view to sustainable development, increased energy security and low-carbon economic growth and prosperity.
Objectives of the Internship Assignment
The internship post is located in the Communications Unit within the Office of the Director-General (ODG). The intern will provide support to the work of communications, particularly in the implementation of specific activities and initiatives taking place.
In line with the objectives outlined above, the intern is expected to perform a range of communications, technical and organizational functions to support the development of IRENA website, including but not limited to\:
- Daily review of the main website Irena.org to fix all broken or inadequate links; optimize existing images for web display to improve page loading times; identify odd-looking pages and page headings, or other content pieces.
- Work on improving existing content structure on the site.
- Help with tracking new content submissions and organizing publications translations.
- Work with colleagues across the divisions to gather and review additional content e.g. existing PowerPoint presentations which can be added to the website.
- Improve cross-linking of content within text displayed on webpages.
- Create data visualisation cards for technical papers section based on existing graphs and standard template.
- Assist in creating digital assets, including infographics, interactive charts and graphs etc.
- Help with drafting publications blurbs and related content uploads.
- Revise website content tagging and tag all content accordingly with topical tags to improve presentation of related publications and related content across the site.
- Test website search, report on results and improve results rendering.
- Provide support on improving Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Test webpages post-implementation, including checking links, if widgets are working correctly, if appropriate content sits in relevant sections etc.
- Assist in creating newsletters and mailing lists in the new CRM.
- Perform other tasks as required.
During the internship period, the successful applicant will develop an understanding of the IRENA’s work and knowledge areas, develop skills relating to planning and organizing webpages, working with colleagues across the divisions and creating digital content. The intern will also be able to further develop their skills related to analytical thinking, logical organization of content with users in mind, direct marketing and digital communications.
The internship is for a period of six months commencing as soon possible. The exact period will be determined based on the availability of the intern and the needs of the programme. The maximum duration of the internship is nine months, subject to the intern’s continued university enrolment and performance.
- Candidates shall be advanced in their undergraduate studies or be enrolled in a Master's or doctorate programme at a recognized university at the time of application. Recent graduates may also be included in the programme provided the start date of the internship is less than six months since their graduation.
- Preference will be given to those studying\: Communications, Marketing, Digital Publishing, Journalism or other related and relevant disciplines.
- Basic knowledge on SEO, web content management, editing, knowledge management or digital marketing. Basic working knowledge of software packages for page formatting, image management and content preparation (experience with HTML, Photoshop, InDesign and similar software preferred). Interest in, and enthusiasm for, renewable energy and global energy transition is desirable.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of other United Nations languages is desirable.
- Competencies\: Candidates should demonstrate solid teamwork, planning and organising, professionalism and communications skills.
- Candidates must be able to work in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment. Candidates should indicate in their cover letter the period of availability.
IRENA interns are not considered to be staff members. The selected intern will work remotely on a full-time basis (40 hours per week) as per the working hours of IRENA premises in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
For more detailed information about IRENA Internship Programme, please visit the internships section on our recruitment webpage.
IRENA wishes to encourage applications from female candidates, especially from nationals of developing countries.
This internship is remote based, and the selected intern will be remunerated at a rate of USD 1,200.