Forest-related Climate Change and Adaptation Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Forestry Division leads FAO's work in promoting sustainable forest management and providing leadership on the environmental, social and economic dimensions of forestry, including contributions of forests and trees to poverty reduction and food security and nutrition. Staff of the Division liaise with member countries, civil society and the private sector in aspects ranging from development of effective forest policies to forest conservation and management issues and strengthening the role of forests in climate change mitigation and adaptation. The Division also collects, analyses and disseminates information on the world's forest resources and on the production, trade and consumption of wood and non-wood forest products.
The post is located in the Climate Change and Resilience (CCR) Team, Forestry Division, NFO. The consultant will be required to support the work of the team which covers climate change adaptation, restoration, dryland forests, forest fire management, forest health (insect, diseases and invasive species control), and Silva Mediterranea (a programme for Mediterranean forest management).
The consultant will work under the overall supervision of the Team Leader and the direct supervision of a relevant technical Officer in the team.
The consultancy aims to provide support to the team’s work on climate change adaptation, forest and landscape restoration, drylands forest management, forest fires, forest health (insect, diseases and invasive species control), and Mediterranean forests. The consultant will be involved in cross-sectoral work that includes forestry, agriculture, fisheries and aquaculture, contributing to FAO’s strategic objectives of making agriculture, forestry and fisheries more productive and sustainable.
Below is the list of programmes within the CCR team:
- Forests and climate change
- Dryland forests and agrosilvopastoral systems
- Forest and Landscape Restoration
- Forest Health and Protection (from pest, disease, and invasive species)
- Forest fire management
- Mediterranean forests
Cross-cutting themes covered by the roster:
- Technical expertise for general or narrow specialties in functional areas (e.g. Dryland forest and livestock expert, Mediterranean forest experts, forest and land restoration specialists, monitoring experts, forest products and socio-economic experts, etc.)
- Policy Advice and Governance
- Geographical Information Systems
- Information Management
- Outreach and advocacy
- Programme/Project Development and Management
- Monitoring and Evaluation
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the development and implementation of guidelines and practical tools and methodologies to promote effective climate change adaptation, through cross sectoral and participatory approaches, in alignment with the main relevant international agreements such as the Paris Agreement and Agenda 2030.
- Support the development and management of technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services.
- Design and conduct research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/specialist/advice and expertise.
- Liaison with relevant FAO units (or other organizations) relevant to their assignment to obtain guidance and advice on specific elements.
- Contributes to the coordination, implementation and administration of assigned programmes/activities in accordance with FAO rules, procedures and systems.
- As applicable, organization and participation in missions and other events in support of the delivery of FOA’s programme of work, including for consultation, training, capacity building and technical assistance to beneficiaries of FAO support programmes and projects.
- Contribution to relevant studies, publications and analyses, knowledge products and advocacy material related to CCR’s area of work, including guidelines, capacity building and training material.
- Any other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in Forestry, Natural Resources, Agriculture, Environmental Sciences, or related field.
- One to four years of relevant experience for base level consultants, at least five years’ relevant experience for middle level consultants, and at least 10 years relevant experience for senior level consultants in issues related to sustainable forest management, climate change, resilience, restoration, dryland forests, forest fire management, forest health (insect, diseases and invasive species control), and Mediterranean forests.
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian (for consultants). For PSA subscribers, working knowledge of a FAO language pertinent for work.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of technical work experience in one or more of the main areas of CCR’s work programmes.
- Extent and relevance of work experience in one or more regions, especially in developing or emerging countries.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate, draft and finalize clear technical and policy documents, guidelines and manuals, in English.
- Extent of knowledge and experience to conduct (global) technical and policy analysis in topics related to CCR’s work programmes.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge management experience, especially related to sustainable forest management in dryland landscapes, may be considered an asset.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency