The Programme Management Unit (PMU) of the FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025) facilitates, coordinates and manages all technical and advisory services to be provided by FAO to the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA). The project “UTF/SAU/051/SAU Strengthening MoEWA’s Capacity to Implement the Sustainable Rural Agricultural Development Programme” is the first project that has been approved within the framework of FAO-Saudi Technical Cooperation Programme (2019-2025). The project will provide technical and advisory assistance to the MoEWA in implementing its flagship sustainable rural agricultural development programme that has recently been approved within the context of the National Transformation Programme of the Saudi Vision 2030. The project expected results will be achieved through implementation of nine project components: 1) Development of coffee Arabica production, processing and marketing; 2) Development of beekeeping and honey production; 3) Development of rose production and trade; 4) Development of sub-tropical fruits production, processing and marketing; 5) Strengthening capacity of small-scale fishermen and fish farmers; 6) Strengthening capacity of small-scale livestock herders; 7) Development of rain-fed cereals production; 8) Enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities; and 9) Strengthening MoEWA’s capacity in sustainable management of rangelands, forests and natural resources to support rural livelihoods.
An overall plan and budget is developed and approved, including activities and outputs that are expected to be accomplished under each component. Requirements for international technical expertise of each component have been identified. In order to ensure a coordinated, smooth, timely and successful implementation of the project, long-term competent international technical advisors will be appointed as Component Managers to each of the nine components. Each Component Manager will be supported by a team of international consultants and experts who are technical specialists in the subject matters of the various outputs and activities.
FAO-Saudi Arabia is seeking for consultants with relevant expertise in agricultural marketing, marketing information management, contract farming, agricultural export and trade regulations, agriculture cooperatives, food processing and postharvest technology, geographical indication, branding strategies, entrepreneurship/SME, agribusiness incubation and development and value chain analysis and development.
The Component Consultants report to the Programme Director in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia under the overall guidance of the Assistant Director-General/Regional Representative, RNE.
Capacity development and knowledge management for enhancing value addition from smallholdings and rural activities.
Tasks and responsibilities:
The Consultants of the project component on value addition enhancement and development in coordination with the Component Technical Adviser and National Manager will:
- Undertake situation analysis to identify opportunities and constraints facing smallholders and agri-entrepreneurs in marketing of their produce, and support the establishment and development of local marketing centres for target commodities.
- Undertake situation analysis and comprehensive sector review for rural agricultural value chain in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) and assess the comparative and competitive advantages of value chain in KSA.
- Undertake situation analysis and assess the capacities and performance of existing rural agriculture cooperatives for target commodities in the target regions, and review and revise as appropriate smallholder’s specific agricultural cooperatives policy, institutional and regulatory frameworks to comply with international cooperatives standards
- Benchmark, identify and promote best practices in value addition among small agribusiness entrepreneurship and small rural producers.
- Assess the need for target commodities fruit, coffee, rose, animal products, fish, cereals, and honey production and processing infrastructure including cold storage, value addition centre and drying or other facilities and develop plan to strengthen such facilities.
- Establish commodity/enterprise specific viable agri business plans, agri-entrepreneur and agribusiness incubation programme as a viable mechanism for promotion of small agribusiness entrepreneurship particularly among youth and women.
- Undertake skill, entrepreneurship and technical capacity needs assessment of small producers, their cooperatives, rural youth and women and value chain actors on marketing, agribusiness management, and value chain development, and design and deliver needs-based training programme to fill capacity gaps.
- Support the formation of micro- and small-medium enterprises involved in target commodities, processing and marketing, in particular women-only enterprises.
- Develop a mentoring programme to promote rural agribusiness and traditional /indigenous food enterprises, and establish models for small businesses for the development and dissemination of rural traditional/indigenous agricultural food enterprises, small growers' cooperatives and associations.
- Introduce and disseminate post-harvesting technology for target commodities to minimize loss and maintain quality and safety, and facilitate development of infrastructure and logistics needed for production and processing of rural agri-food and traditional/indigenous commodities.
- Review and assess status of contract farming and other direct marketing methods as implemented in Saudi Arabia, and prepares strategy and action plan for the promotion and implementation of contract farming among small-scale producers.
- Develop smallholder-adapted e-market information systems to enable access to useful, timely and transparent market and price information for improved decision-making.
- Develop and implements a training programme to strengthen business and marketing skills of smallholders of the target agricultural commodities in the target regions.
- Develop pilot business model for target commodities small grower’s cooperatives and association in KSA, and develop and implement a training programme to strengthen technical, operational and managerial skills of the agricultural cooperatives’ members.
- Developand disseminate information and knowledge products for strengthening agricultural cooperatives; marketing, agri business, value addition and contract farming, and design and implement awareness campaign for small agricultural producers and cooperative members on cooperatives concepts, roles, rules and membership regulations.
- Collect and assess all available data and information on the Coffee Arabica, Al-Taief Roses, Jazan and Al-Baha honey commodities products, for which Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) and Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) certificates are to be established and establish geographical indication and develop effective branding strategies for Arabic coffee, rose and honey.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in agricultural marketing, contract farming, agribusiness management, value chain analysis, geographic indication, or related field.
- 12 years of relevant experience in technical cooperation assistance programmes in the field of agricultural market development, contract farming, SME agribusiness and entrepreneurship development, and value chain development, including at international level.
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO languages (French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian) for Consultants. Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location and particularly in field positions.
- Extent and relevance of experience in small scale agri-commodities value addition, processing and entrepreneurship, marketing industry and agricultural cooperatives development.
- Familiarity with project management skills including familiarity with results frameworks, project work planning and budgeting;
- Demonstrated communication skills, including the ability to convey and present sensitive issues/positions.
- Analytical skills and ability to write clear and concise reports is considered a strong asset.
- Proficiency in English is essential and familiarity with Arabic language is desirable.
- Work experience with international organizations and in technical cooperation projects supporting countries.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and experience in small scale producer’s marketing support and related issues.
- Ability to provide technical and advisory services.