Driver (3 Positions)
Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
*Note: This position is part of the Change Management process for OHCHR Cambodia and is only open to internal affected staff members.
Under the guidance of the Head of Programme Support Unit and direct supervision of the Administrative Associate, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to OHCHR’s Representative, staff members and other high-ranking UN officials ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The Driver may be also assigned by the supervisors to provide driving services to non-UN officials including Special Rapporteurs, Consultants, Experts, and other high-level visitors.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use and day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles
- Ensure availability of required kits, documents, supplies in assigned vehicles
- Provision of back-up support in maintaining transportation services
1. Provision of reliable and safe driving services:
- Drive office vehicles for the transport of OHCHR’s Representative, staff members, other high-profile official/visitors to various destinations in the city as well as throughout the country;
- Ensure well-coordinated pick-up, routing, and drop-off at various types of departure and destination points including, event monitoring, airport normal and VIP lounge, government ministries and diplomatic missions and residences;
- Ensure time-efficient, safe, and secure driving services (including delivery and pick-up of mail) by studying well the road conditions, consulting map and traffic/route navigation (using available technology like phone applications), regular update of information of street addresses of all stakeholders as well as locations of other important, regular or possible destinations;
- Ensure that the operations of the vehicles as well as the vehicles themselves meet minimum operation safety and security requirements.
2. Proper use and day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicles
- Daily checkup of assigned vehicles including checking oil, breaking system, tires, water, batteries, etc.;
- Keep the vehicles (in and outside) clean all the time;
- Perform minor repair as required and timely arranging for major repairs and closely monitor/evaluate the repairing quality;
- Make sure to follow procedures before taking vehicles for scheduled maintenance and required repairing;
- Proper and accurate record of vehicle log books;
- Make sure to follow guides and take immediate actions in case of involving in an accident.
3. Ensures availability of required kits, documents, supplies in assigned vehicles:
- Ensure the availability of all required documents including vehicle insurance, waiver forms, vehicle log book, road tax sticker, fuel card, etc. at all time;
- Ensure the availability of first aid kit, vehicle tool kit and spare parts for field trip, and other necessary kits (based on updated checklists for different type of travel) and safe keep them after use;
- Ensure that requested relevant supplies are loaded on and off accordingly.
4. Provision of back-up support to provide effective transportation services:
- Act as backup person in maintaining schedule of Drivers and arranging transportation to support the needs of transportation services;
- Assist in other relevant support service tasks.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe, cost-effective and timely execution of the country office services.
- Ability to adapt to using new tools including technology for map reading, road and traffic navigation;
- Ability to maintain simple records;
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Ability to apply relevant UN rules, regulations, policies and follow guidelines in work situations; and follow traffic law;
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Ability to apply good judgement in the context of assignment given;
- Remains calm in stressful situations;
- Ability to respect confidentiality, use discretion and uphold integrity;
- Responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Readiness to undertake travel throughout the country.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others
- Places team agenda before personal agenda
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments
- Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules
- Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable
- Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
- Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in project
- Meets timeline for delivery of product or services to client
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education and hold a valid driving license. Knowledge of minor repair of vehicle is an asset.
- 3 years of work experience as a driver with safe driving record;
- Experience driving in Cambodia’s various road conditions including difficult ones is desirable;
- Experience in the UN system or international development agency, diplomatic mission is an asset.
- Fluency in Khmer, and knowledge of English.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.