Program Finance & Compliance Analyst
Suva (Fiji )
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures the development and implementation of risk management and mitigation plans and activities in the office;
- Ensures full compliance with HACT;
- Oversees planning and implementation of compliance activities at the CO level and in projects;
- Ensures management of audit activities;
- Facilitates knowledge building and management.
- Plans, manages and coordinates implementation of risk management systems, tools and processes in the CO and at the project level;
- Provides input into business process mapping and supports the establishment and regular reviews and updates of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Applies UNDP´s corporate policies on risk management and supports the formulation of office/project specific procedures and tools to manage risk, ensuring adherence to UNDP policies and procedures and corporate guidance on risk management.
- Provides support to project risk management cycle, assesses and proactively identifies critical risks requiring further controls and assurance activities, and advises office units on minimizing risk exposure;
- Supports projects in formulation of risk management plans. Participates in project appraisal to ensure that the risk management framework is properly reflected in project designs;
- Representing UNDP in the UN HACT Task Force and ensuring complementary between UNDP and other UN agencies HCAT-related activities.
- Develops a HACT implementation plan in coordination with relevant project staff.
- Manages macro-assessments of the country’s Public Financial Management Systems, ensuring macro-assessments are conducted once every programme cycle.
- Manages micro-assessments of implementing partners and responsible parties, ensuring all partners are assessed once every programme cycle, keeping abreast of guidance provided by the UN Sustainable Development Group (UNSDG) and UNDP Headquarters and updating HACT implementation Plan accordingly.
- Provides input to the development of project-level HACT assurance activities focusing on spot checks, scheduled and special audits plan and oversees and monitors its implementation.
- With the programme team, coordinates the spot checks with the project monitoring visits as appropriate.
- Analyzes and evaluates data to ensure achievement of HACT compliance and regular updates the Office’s information on the corporate HACT dashboard.
- Provides technical advice to programme staff, government officials and other counterparts on HACT compliance.
- Supports and provides technical guidance to projects and office units in preparation for audits of directly-implemented and nationally-implemented projects (DIM & NIM) Audits and external reviews.
- Oversees management of NIM/HACT audits. Takes lead in procuring audit services and coordination/facilitation of external and internal/DIM & Office management audits.
- Oversees organization of pre-audit meetings for audit preparations with project/portfolio managers of the Office’s units, projects, UNDP Office of Audit and Investigation (OAI) auditors and external audit firms;
- Provides technical guidance to projects and CO units in the development of Action Plans for follow up on implementation of audit recommendations and reporting and ensures follow up takes place
- Identifies potential causes of non-compliance with corporate rules and regulations based on internal and external audits and internal compliance reviews, and makes recommendations for appropriate corrective and preventive actions;
- Conducts regular office internal compliance reviews, including “independent” and unannounced spot checks in critical and high-risk functions and processes;
- Supports in the development of tools, e.g. SOPs, checklists, and systems for application of internal controls and maintenance of compliance standards;
- Provides support for the implementation of UNDP`s Internal Control Framework (ICF).
- Supports the Team Leader, Integrated Resource Unit in maintaining an updated Delegation of Authority (DoA) for non-system activities (signature of contracts and agreements such as LoAs, MoUs, donor agreements, procurement contracts, Project Documents, budget revisions, etc.) and oversee DoA application and further compliance with ICF;
- Supports compliance of financing agreements and other legal frameworks with UNDP financial rules, regulations, policies and directives;
- Supports the office units and projects in external due diligence and verification reviews.
- Oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Regular monitoring of the office delivery, resource mobilization, TRAC Allocation, revenue management and cost recovery;
- Periodic monitoring of dashboards and exceptions, and identification of remedial actions;
- Regular tracking of NIM advances and follow up with their timely liquidation with programme teams.
- Supports programme teams in timely and orderly project closures fulfilling all requirements.
- Identifies training needs of UNDP staff and implementing partners for the purpose of capacity development in HACT compliance.
- Plan and organize HACT training programmes to staff and implementing partners.
- Provides regular training and technical guidance/advice on audit and HACT compliance matters, including implementation of Internal Control Framework (ICF);
- Provides training and technical guidance/advice on UNDP’s corporate policies and procedures on risk management, and their application in programme/project implementation and operations;
- Identifies and synthetizes lessons learnt and best practices in the area of work;
- Actively promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture within the CO;
- Systematically builds capacities of national staff and trains CO staff in all areas of responsibility.
- Builds capacity of implementing partners in financial management, HACT & Audit compliance as requested by Project Teams.
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates the same in his/her work;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners.
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches;
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing;
- Develops awareness of the various internal/external learning and knowledge-sharing resources.
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system;
- Demonstrates ability to diagnose problems and identifies and communicates processes to support change initiatives;
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Auditing, Economics, Business Administration or related disciplines;
- UNDP Advanced Accountancy & Finance Test will be required unless exempted by UNDP under certain condition as per the qualification of the candidate.
- Upto 2 years of experience in finance, risk management, audit and compliance activities;
- Proven ability to influence senior management, taking initiative and working independently as well as a team player; demonstrably supporting members of other teams, responding quickly and accurately to queries and issues;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal English) and the ability to write clear, concise reports;
- Good organizational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritize work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft;
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet short timeframes.
- Fluency in English is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.