Education Policy Analyst
Post Number : 6SNIEP0066PA
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Dakar
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 05-JUL-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and performance.ORGANISATIONAL CONTEXT
IIEP-UNESCO Dakar is the International Institute for Educational Planning’s (IIEP) Africa-based office located in Dakar, Senegal. IIEP is a UNESCO specialized institute with a mandate to strengthen Member States’ capacity to plan and manage their education systems. The IIEP-UNESCO Dakar, is renowned for its cutting edge educational sector analyses and supports African countries in developing realistic and credible education system development plans in support of the Education 2030 agenda, an essential part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Through a well-crafted and targeted capacity development approach, IIEP-UNESCO Dakar contributes to the creation of diagnostic analyses, sector plans and pedagogical tools. In concert, these contribute to more relevant and sustainable educational policies across Africa. IIEP-UNESCO Dakar is also actively involved in knowledge creation for the education sector in Africa. For more information about its activities please follow this link IIEP-UNESCO Dakar
Reporting to the Head of the Dakar Office and under the direct supervision of the Program Manager for Training, the incumbent will participate in the technical support of IIEP Dakar to member countries in the planning and management of their education systems, as well as in the initiation, design and implementation of training activities offered by the IIEP Dakar. While participating in analysis and capacity development, the incumbent will strengthen the IIEP Dakar’s capacity in qualitative and institutional analyses. The products of the work they carry out are subject to an internal validation process under the responsibility of the Head of Office. Specifically, the incumbent will:
A. Contribute to and manage training activities, specifically:
- Ensure the tutoring of distance learning modules of the IIEP Dakar training on education sector analysis Politiques Sectorielles et Gestion des Systèmes Educatifs (PSGSE), in collaboration with the Cheikh Anta Diop University of Dakar and its English version, Sectoral Analysis and Management of the Education System (SAMES), with the Jomo Kenyatta University of Nairobi (Kenya), designed for stakeholders in the educational community, mainly national technical managers and technical and financial partners, and in collaboration with the Programme Manager for training ; ensure that the tutoring of all modules of said training is carried out with rigor, quality and promptness (including the correction of homework and exams).
- Regularly revise the various modules of the PSGSE and SMAES training or ensure the revision by mobilizing other analysts from the IIPE Dakar, taking into account in particular the methodological evolutions in sectoral analysis, and the experiences acquired by IIEP as a whole during ESAs and other studies carried out in the field, the analytical and methodological outputs of the IIEP as a whole and those of its partners, and the comments and observations of the participants in the training.
- Identify, in collaboration with IIEP Dakar colleagues, the training needs of national technical managers in terms of analysis, policy and sectoral planning in education and contribute to the development of IIEP Dakar (long and short) training offer responding to these needs.
- Design and develop training content and / or mobilize and manage training content design and writing teams and mobilize and manage teams to facilitate training workshops.
B. Contribute to and manage Technical Cooperation activities, including:
- Assist African countries, as per their requests, in the development, implementation and monitoring of education policies, in particular on aspects related to institutional and organizational analysis at central and decentralized levels;
- Support the development of management and Monitoring and Evaluation tools, and the preparation of Joint Sector Reviews. Lead and manage a portfolio of selected countries;
- Assist with developing and sustaining political and education policy management and planning dialogue with the highest authorities of target countries;
- Manage dialogue, exchange and coordination with development partners in country. Support international initiatives for the Education 2030 Agenda including the design tools for analysis, planning, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation of education and training policies in Africa.
- Create training materials and / or outreach strategies that meet the needs of targeted audiences;
- Contribute to the professional development of officials in charge of management of education planning, management and training in Africa.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Professionalism (C) Communication (C) Accountability (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Economics, Statistics, Education or Social Sciences.
- Minimum four (4) years of relevant working experience in the fields of analysis, planning and management of education systems of which preferably two (2) years acquired at international level.
- Experience in the design of education and training sector development plans and budgeted action plans.
- Experience in working with countries on institutional analyses, capacity gap analyses and institutional strengthening.
- Experience in conducting trainings for professionals in the education sector.
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrable knowledge of African education systems.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the sociology of institutions.
- Knowledge and use of Excel and at least one statistical software such SPSS, SAS, STATA
- Demonstrable knowledge of techniques to develop an education and training development plan.
- Good knowledge of the problems of education in the context of developing countries particularly in Africa.
- Ability to undertake regular missions, especially in diverse and challenging contexts.
- Ability to lead, motivate and support multicultural teams.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Excellent knowledge of either French or English and good knowledge of the other.
- Knowledge of other UNESCO official language (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information about UN salaries, benefits and entitlements, please consult this ICSC booklet
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include a written assessment exercise followed by a virtual competency-based oral interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.