Competency Framework Consultant
The Department of Human Resources and Offices Services (HROS) is the central management and coordinating function for human resources management, office services, field operations and security support services. The Learning & Development (L&D) unit (“the Unit”), one of the two (2) teams of Human Resources (HR), is responsible for leading various organizational development projects as well as other change management initiatives in order to develop and maintain an engaged, diverse, and field-oriented workforce. One of the main areas of work for the unit is to develop and launch a competency-based performance management framework.
One of challenges that IDLO faces in proceeding is the lack of a comprehensive competency framework. In addition to it becoming the basis of talent acquisition, development and management activities, the competencies build common organizational understanding and culture on its values. Competencies also help to strengthen transparency and accountability in merit-based processes. With this in mind, the L&D unit seeks a dedicated Competency Framework Consultant (“the Consultant”) to support the Unit in putting in place a relevant competency framework for IDLO.
Under the overall leadership of the Director, HROS and the direct supervision of the HR Advisor, Policy and Organizational Development, the Consultant will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following multi-phased work.
Phase 1: Development and roll-out
Working with various internal stakeholders, the consultant will develop, and coordinate an organizational consensus on an IDLO competency framework. In particular, he or she will:
- Develop a detailed workplan outlining methodology, key activities, time frames for a fully inclusive and consultative approach in the development as well as validation of and consensus on the competencies;
- Review existing elements which relate to the development of competencies, including reviewing the job families, organizational structures, IDLO missions and goals, management strategies, job evaluation factors, and provide a report on findings as well as identifying challenges that may arise in relation to the project;
- Conduct various internal consultations (e.g., face-to-face, or remote interviews, online round tables, internal surveys), analyze results and inputs received and report on findings;
- Identify and propose the new competency framework, including core, technical and leadership competencies, including descriptors for each requisite competency; skills, knowledge, and behavioral indicators for each competency; and competency rating scales;
- Create and conduct a presentation to the IDLO Senior Leadership Team (SLT), laying out the proposed competency framework as well as roll-out plan;
- Develop a competency framework information toolkit comprised of guidance documents and communication detailing the purpose and the use of the framework to all employees, people managers and the HR team;
- Conduct training sessions for the HR team on the use as well as the communication of the new competency framework; and
- Design and oversee as the content expert the development of an online training module of the newly developed IDLO competency framework, detailing its objective and purpose, also as part of new employee induction program.
Phase 2: Integration
In this phase, the consultant will work closely with HR personnel, including the HR Specialist, Workforce Planning and Recruitment, to fully integrate the newly developed competency framework into all areas of work and operation within IDLO. In particular, his or her role will be to:
- Support the development of revised templates for competency-based generic job descriptions;
- Develop and launch toolkits on its use for HR and managers, to raise awareness on the needs and benefits of having competency-based job descriptions,
- Work with HR and managers to re-align and amend job descriptions to the new competencies, facilitating discussions to identify the competencies within the identified job families; for each position;
- Support the development of competency-based interview questions into recruitment process;
- Support the development of job evaluation tools based on the competencies;
- Integrate the new competencies into the employee learning program, including the realignment of learning subjects based on the competencies, and identifying gaps in the portfolio; and
- Support the development of a competency-based performance management framework, ensuring that the competencies are built into all phases of the performance management cycle, from objective setting to appraisals.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The Consultant should have the following skills, qualifications, and experience:
Education and experience
- At least a bachelor’s degree, preferably in Human Resources Management, Organizational Psychology, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or a related field.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience in working in Human Resources, in the areas such as talent development and management, performance management, leadership development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of competency frameworks, including its basic concepts, its structure, use and integration.
- Experience in developing and/or implementing trainings, procedures, and guidelines.
- Experience in recruitment, using and/or developing candidate assessment tools.
- Previous work within the UN system, other international/regional organizations, non-profit organizations is preferred.
Communication and Technical skills
- Fluent oral and writing skills in English. Proficiency in French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Strong oral presentation skills, including the experience of conducting internal training and/or informational sessions to larger groups.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to coordinate and lead small focus groups comprising of people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use computer and Microsoft Office programs.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to work independently and flexibly to deliver the agreed outputs in a timely and professional manner.
- Project management skills, i.e., capacity to work on multiple different projects, and under pressure, while ensuring accuracy and attention to detail.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, credibility, and commitment to the overall objective of the project.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The assignment is for six (6) months, ideally carried out between July and December 2021. Extension is possible, based on the performance of Phase 1, IDLO’s needs and priorities as well as budget availability.
Payment will be made on a monthly basis for the agreed monthly contract amount upon submission of a monthly timesheet, invoice, and approval of IDLO.
The work may be done as a combination of home-based and at the IDLO Headquarters in Rome, Italy.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Consultant assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the consultancy opportunity to meet business and organizational needs, as necessary.
Application deadline is by 23 June 2021.