UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Communication Assistant is a member of UNFPA Georgia CO communications team and supports design and implementation of communications and advocacy activities of the CO.
You will report directly to the Communications Analyst under the overall guidance of the Head of the Office and will work in close collaboration with the UNFPA Georgia CO team. External contacts include other UN agencies and partners in Country Programme activities, including local government, NGOs and international organizations, experts, influencers, private sector representatives, etc.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
You will play an instrumental role in advancing UNFPA Georgia CO team advocacy and communication efforts on ICPD Agenda; strengthening work with media, engaging relevant influencers and private sector representatives in shaping sustainable development of the country and contributing to creating high-quality communication materials.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributing to development and implementation of the UNFPA CO Advocacy and Communication Plan. This includes also contributing to establishing strong network with the journalists specializing in the fields of human rights, gender equality and reproductive health and rights;
- Supporting the Communication Analyst and relevant programme staff in preparing the communication and advocacy materials according to UNFPA visibility rules and regulations;
- Supporting obtaining necessary clearance and approval of all communication materials as required;
- Preparing the direct payments forms related to communications services as required;
- Maintaining and updating the monthly communication plans for relevant programmes;
- Contributing to planning and ensuring social media presence of the UNFPA Georgia CO;
- Contributing to maintaining and updating of all communication materials in UNFPA internal systems;
- Contributing to the preparation of texts and audio visual materials for the UNFPA/Georgia CO website and social media platforms and newsletters for the donor and partner organizations;
- Contributing to planning and implementing local and global communication campaigns conducted by UNFPA and its partners;
- Maintaining information flow with UNFPA supported projects and implementing partners;
- Assisting UNFPA Georgia CO in organizing the advocacy events to ensure increased coverage of UNFPA related news and events by TV, print and electronic media;
- Performing other related tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact
- Internal and external communication and advocacy for results mobilisation
- Managing the organization’s resources
- Building partnerships with CSOs and media
- Managing digital resources and web and social media platforms
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in the following disciplines: communication, journalism, public relations, marketing, social sciences and other relevant areas.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in communication, media, broadcast, media relations or public relations, including building and maintaining relationships with journalists, researching stories, writing press releases and news for web site and social media;
- Experience of internal communications including communication of key corporate messages;
- Experience of managing the production of printed material, including brochures, leaflets, briefing third party designers/printers to ensure corporate brand and style is met;
- Experience in planning and managing public events;
- Demonstrated experience in contributing to communications projects or campaigns;
- Excellent understanding of technologies, new media and collaboration;
- Hands-on experience with web production, social media management and digital/multimedia tools;
- Initiative and sound judgment. Must be highly organized and have demonstrated ability to work well under tight deadlines and in a team;
- High sense of responsibility. Tact, discretion, initiative and good judgment in dealing with staff members, partners and other stakeholders;
- Good facilitation and coordination skills, demonstrated ability to work in an independent manner
Other Desirable Experience and Skills:
- Work experience in the UN or other international development organization, understanding of the UN policies and operations is an asset;
- Ability to perform well under pressure, adapt to change, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to network with external professional organizations to research and improve service delivery;
- Ability to work in an international and multicultural environment.
- Fluency in English and Georgian is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.