Project Officer - IBM
Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Bosnia and Herzegovina is providing assistance and support to BiH authorities in addressing the threats and risks posed to human security. These threats include large and uncontrolled presence of remnants of war and ammunition, terrorism and violent extremism, armed, gender and other forms of violence and men-made disasters. There are several UNDP project-based interventions that provide support to the overall security sector reform at state, entity, Brcko District and community level. Those are organizationally systematized under the UNDP’s Human Security Programme which represents a pillar within Justice and Security Sector of UNDP Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The Roadmap for a sustainable solution to the illicit possession, misuse and trafficking of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) and their ammunition in the Western Balkans, by 2024 (SALW Roadmap 2024) was developed by the Western Balkans authorities, under the auspices of the Governments of Germany and France, in coordination with the EU, and with the support of the South Eastern and Eastern Europe Clearinghouse for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SEESAC). In conformity with the Roadmap goals 2 and 3, UNDP aims to contribute to increased security and safety of the Western Balkans through capacitation of the BiH Indirect Taxation Authority (ITA) and their strengthened integrated border management (IBM) capabilities to better detect and process illicit SALW trafficking. Other BIH institutions that will profit from the project implementation include BIH Border Police and Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Relations (MoFTER).
The project will support BiH to fulfill its obligations under international and regional small arms control instruments and achieve its goal of accession to the European Union. It will also strengthen the areas that require attention under chapters 23 and 24 of the EU acquis communautaire, on judiciary and fundamental rights, on justice, freedom and security.
Please note that the person selected for this position will be offered a contract with UNDP under its National Personnel Services Agreement (N-PSA) modality; the UNDP Service Contract modality is phasing out over the coming year. More information about the N-PSA is available here [link to the N-PSA POPPhttps://bit.ly/3gaGFud)
Duties and Responsibilities
The IBM Project Officer will provide technical support to the project and undertake envisaged project activities in close cooperation with Joint Programme Coordinator and other project team members. The incumbent will, moreover, provide regular technical advice to the Joint Programme Coordinator and Justice and Security Sector Leader for all areas related to SALW Roadmap 2024 implementation in Bosnia and Herzegovina under his/her area of expertise. IBM Project Officer will be expected to regularly coordinate his/her activities with the other projects implemented within the Justice Sector of UNDP BiH.
The incumbent will be based in UNDP BiH office in Sarajevo.
1. Coordination of the design and administration of project activities as well as their oversight;
- Design and administer the overall approach and delivery of the activities planned within the Project in line with the UNDP Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP), as well as best project implementation practices;
- In cooperation with the Joint Programme Coordinator, design and steer the delivery of the comprehensive expert, technical and capacity development activities aiming to strengthen the IBM capacities of ITA (Customs Sector), BiH Border Police to more effectively combat illicit arms trafficking;
- Provide expert advice, guidance, support and oversight through the process of provision of technical assistance and advice, organization of knowledge-transfer events, extensive consultative process and intensive coordination at national and international levels;
- Design and oversee the Project’s efforts to improve the project beneficiaries’ information management capacities (data collection, evaluation, analysis and tasking and coordination within the information management system) in the area of illicit arms trafficking through provision of technical assistance and coordination;
- Review results and monitor performance of Project goals in the area combatting illicit arms trafficking, as per the Project M&E plan and logical framework;
- Provide the Joint Programme Coordinator with substantive data inputs based on project experiences and monitoring of progress against set targets;
2. Provision of advisory, operational and reporting assistance to the Joint Programme Coordinator, ITA (Customs) and BiH Border Police throughout Project implementation;
- Operationally coordinate activities relevant to expert, technical and capacity building assistance to ITA (Customs Sector), BiH Border Police in support to the overall objective of the IBM Project;
- Provide advice to improve operational coordination, cooperation and information exchange between ITA (Customs Sector) and other institutions at national level and with three neighboring states on prevention, detection and deterrence of smuggling of firearms, ammunition and explosives;
- Contibute to preparation of analytical reports capturing lessons learnt during the project implementation and at least semi-annually;
- Analytically captures lessons-learnt and contributes to preparation of reports based on the project experiences and monitoring of progress against set targets, including from the gender equality perspective;
- Prepare relevant ad-hoc and periodic thematic reports;
- Capture and ensure wide promotion and visibility of Project achievements, particularly with regard to developments in the area of SALW Roadmap 2024 implementation;
- Encourage multi-level cooperation across the Project area;
- Ensure regular communication and coordination with Project counterparts and develop and maintain effective mechanisms for integrating and responding to their feedback and insights;
- Encourage active participation of all project stakeholders through regular organization of project board meetings in order to promote their ownership of the activities and results achieved
3. Provision of technical advice and support to other projects within the sector relevant to ITA mandate in SALW control and combat against illicit arms trafficking;
- Provides substantive inputs in the planning and implementation of other programmatic interventions that have linkages to SALW control and combatting illicit arms trafficking;
- Contributes to the required quality level of relevant products delivered by other projects in the sector;
- Delivers analysis of pertinent trends and developments in the area of SALW control in BiH.
4. Gender equality mainstreaming within the Project:
- Support gender equality mainstreaming in Project implementation with special attention to internally displaced women and female-headed households that are particularly vulnerable due to a limited access to land or financial assets;
- Ensure that relevant documents prepared during project implementation are written using gender sensitive language.
5. Ensuring knowledge management in the area of SALW control and coordinating within UNDP and beyond.
- Captures relevant Project experiences and lessons learned;
- Researches best practices, generates ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Actively shares experience and knowledge, as well as coordinates Project activities and approaches with the broader local governance team within UNDP and beyond;
- Encourage and support knowledge sharing, exchanges of experience and partnership building across the designated area of responsibility through thematic networking events and other activities;
- Support sharing and scaling-up successful approaches in the broader UNDP Justice and Security Sector Team.
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of Joint Programme Coordinator, SALW Roadmap.
People Management/Models independent thinking and action
- Demonstrates behaviors of teamwork, collaboration, knowledge sharing, maintaining relationships
Leadership/Generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others
- Creates new opportunities for team, not just self to learn and take on new responsibilities
- Actively shares knowledge
Innovation/Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
- Critically assesses established methods
- Contributes to prototyping, piloting, and evaluating lessons / feedback
Communication and Relationship Management/Adept with complex concepts and challenges convention purposefully
- Critically assesses established methods
- Contributes to prototyping, piloting, and evaluating lessons / feedback
Delivery/Meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of products or services
- Embraces complex challenges and opportunities for getting work done
- Ability to embrace challenges with minimal supervision
- Works to develop organizational awareness of UNDP’s approach to client service delivery and integrity and accountability
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise/Apply & Adapt - Contributes skills and knowledge with demonstrated ability to advance innovation and continuous improvement, in professional area of expertise
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
- Provides information for linkages across Project activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of Projects implementation;
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for Project development and helps drafting project proposals;
Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
- Maintains a functioning network of contacts with a variety of stakeholders to promote a better understanding of UNDP’s mandate and to support advocacy efforts
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Establishes and nurtures positive communication with partners
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
- Keeps updated in his/her area of substantive expertise
- Analyses ongoing trends, evolving needs and emerging issues to identify appropriate responses for capacity building
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
Required Skills and Experience
Minimum Academic Education
- Advanced university degree in economics, political sciences, social sciences, or other related areas.
- BA degree with additional two years of working experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Minimum years of relevant Work experience
- Relevant working experience in the area of IBM in Bosnia and Herzegovina not necessary for candidates with MA (2 years with BA);
- Knowledge and expertise in the area of SALW control and BIH capacities/institutions responsible to combat illicit arms trafficking under the overall IBM efforts in BiH;
- Thorough understanding of the overall political, administrative and institutional set-up relevant to agencies that cooperate in integrated border management in BiH;
- Familiarity with key public documents, strategies and trends related to Bosnia and Herzegovina’s international commitments relevant to IBM and SALW control.
- Fluency in English and BSC languages
Important applicant information
All posts in the NPSA categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.