Finance Business Partner
Remote | Lausanne
LocationPreferably Global Support Office (GSO) position based in Lausanne, Switzerland. Alternatively, this role can be considered for remote working within Europe with regular visits to the Global Support Office in Lausanne, Switzerland. Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland or Europe, can apply.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full-time open-ended contract.
The role of the Finance Partner (FP) is to collaborate with country programmes and GSO to prepare, monitor and provide key, accurate financial information to stakeholders and to offer advice, analysis, forecasting, support and training in funding management in order to inform decision making, promote best financial practice and mitigate financial risks. The primary responsibility of Finance Partner team is to provide key support to International Programmes in supporting Country Programme (CP) leadership to fund and deliver effective financial plans that will enable delivery of country programmes. Finance Partners support Head of Country Programme (HCP) and country leadership teams to grow and manage their financial resources. With others; International Programme, Engagement and other finance colleagues, the work of Finance Partners contributes to supporting better delivery of programmes.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within the GSO and affiliate offices, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff. The Medair GSO Finance Department, is primarily focussed on Medair financial and investment decisions, acts as a financial gatekeeper and strategic advisor in daily business operation and also mid to long-term strategic decisions of Medair, with streamlined and optimized key processes, via leveraging a fit-for-purpose system.
Key Activity Areas
- Monitoring and analysing overall budgets (including revisions), using financial data to create and update fund matrix, prepare GSO donor cash requests, update Grant Management Tool and monitor PF consumption.
- Supports the quality review of high-risk donor budget proposal development.
- Review performance on donor contracts and Private Fund (PF). Monitor donor income received and receivable; cost recovery, impact of exchange rates – highlighting and flagging risks and/or opportunities to HCP and CD, and Finance management team.
- Ensure all reclassifications and amendment after report preparation are completed.
- To proactively participate in donor audits via collaborating with other parties. Ensure proper communication regarding audit observations are properly followed upon by various stakeholders (Fin Director, Audit Support,..)
- Provide inputs to Audit Support Team when requested and apply audit lessons learned.
- Monitor country PF need overview. To clearly understand & communicate donor requirements, and prepare Donor reports in a proactive and timely manner.
Country funding strategy and monitoring
- Provide technical advice to International Programme (IP) senior management to develop their financial plans, funding and expenditure budgets. Lead the preparation and consolidation annual budgets for the country programs and quarterly re-forecasts on the country programs via collaborating with various stakeholders.
- Develop and/or review of all funding for designated CP – budget applications and reporting (including fundraising initiatives from other affiliates) for both quality and accuracy; cost recovery and relevant financial risks.
- Provide additional financial analysis, reports and advice to International Programme leadership and Finance Director e.g. trend analysis of past performance, funding gaps, burn rate against funds, cost recovery, value for money and other ad-hoc management reports.
- Support the creation of financial models and tools to assist budget creation and analysis across financial years
- Coordinate CP financial risk matrix and reporting on a quarterly basis.
- Participate in HCP Team Meeting with overview of funding/ spending status and projections; and financial risks overview.
- To conduct monthly review meetings with stakeholders and to act as a key point of contact to support the key stakeholders with business operation, capital and investment proposals.
- To advise & direct the funding needs with CD / HCP / CP finance manager. Monitor performance and determine improvement areas by developing key performance indicators for critical metrics.
Innovation and Change Management
- Develop, implement, review and respond to KPIs that measure Finance performance.
- Innovate and improve Finance processes to drive efficiencies and cost savings.
- Support implementation of a new ERP system, automation and infrastructure.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships across the global finance function to ensure an integrated approach, mutual learning and effective use of resources.
- Lead on specific corporate initiatives and projects as delegated, this would include multi-country and global projects. Provide capacity building coordination and improvement in Financial management.
- Provide guidance and strengthen knowledge on donor financial guidelines to key stakeholders.
- Train, coach and empower Finance Managers in country programmes on fund management and allocation best practices. Ensure communication flows between all relevant stakeholders. Build strong relationship with and provide financial support to HCP for the specific country supported and so foster informed decision making.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University and/or Bachelors degree in Accounting or its equivalent
- A Chartered Certified Accountant qualification such as ACCA, CIMA, CPA would be an added advantage
- Excellent working knowledge of the English language (speaking and writing). French would be a plus.
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
What is the ROC and why is it required?
- 5-year hands-on experience working in the finance department of an NGO/and or large complex organisation.
- Strong skills and experience in data analysis, financial reporting and presentation
- Computer literate with very good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Problem solving ability and improvement driving skills. Competent with administrative tasks.
- Organized and structured. Good attention to detail. Resourceful, resilient and solution-focused.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality concerning staff members and customers data and organization’s critical financial information. Enjoys challenges and works hard to achieve objectives.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and entering data.
- Willingness to work in a multi-cultural team. Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Able to work independently and take initiatives within a consultative framework.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: