Programme Specialist (Education)
Post Number : 3JMED0003RP
Grade : P-4
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Kingston
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 21-JUL-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education and the direct supervision of the Director of the ClusterOffice for the Caribbean, the incumbent of the post will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of UNESCO’s Regular Programme Activities as well as extra-budgetary projects in the field of Education for the Caribbean. S/he will contribute and support the effective implementation of the UNESCO Education Sector Strategy and will also play a significant role in policy and strategy direction of the office, in resource optimization and mobilization. Within this context, the incumbent’s main activities will be to:Long Description
• Conceptualize, design, plan, develop, coordinate, monitor and implement the Education Strategy; participate in identifying strategic issues, opportunities and risks to effectively integrate them into organizational objectives; provide technical advice and backstopping in the following areas: accelerating progress towards SDG4 - Education 2030 Agenda, building quality inclusive education system, supporting education system responses to contemporary challenges for sustainable development and culture of peace and non-violence, and reinforcing leadership for Education 2030 through advocacy, partnership and monitoring;
• Design, plan, organize and coordinate activities in the field of Sector-wide Policy and Planning, Literacy, Teachers and Technical vocational education and training (TVET); Global Citizenship Education (peace-building and no-violence) and Education for Sustainable Development;
• Develop, coordinate and monitor extra-budgetary projects and ensure periodic reviews and reporting, and sharing of information related to Education 2030, Education for Sustainable Development, TVET, Global Citizenship Education and Education for Sustainable Development;
• Identify key internal and external stakeholders, develop and maintain professional collaboration and partnerships at regional and global levels on education issues and learning assessments, including planning, implementation and monitoring of advocacy activities jointly organized with networks and partners;
• Design and coordinate the implementation of a capacity development programme in strategic planning in education and provide technical contribution to sub-regional organisations;
• Develop joint programmes and projects with other UN agencies and ensure UNESCO participation in to Common Country Assessment (CCA), UN-Multicountry Sustainable Development Framework (MSDF), UN- Sustainable Development Country Framework (UNSDCF) and all other join UN programmatic strategic exercises becoming an active member of the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) in the countries covered by the office;
• Mobilize extra budgetary resources to support sector-wide planning, education policy analysis, education sector assessment and sector management among Member States in the region in line with country policy priorities, the regional Education Support Strategy and overall resource mobilization strategies of UNESCO, by preparing project proposals and cooperation frameworks with Member States and donor agencies and by engaging in fundraising activities;
• Carry out project management, including backstopping, technical, and financial and human resources management. Coordinate and supervise of the office’s education team, identifying human and technical resource needs, recruitment and performance management.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in the field of education, humanities, economics, social sciences, or other closely related fields.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in the field of education development and policy, of which preferably 3 years acquired at the international level.
- Experience in planning, developing, implementing, managing and evaluating programs/projects in the field of education.
- Experience in fund raising and resource mobilization.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to identify key strategic issues, objectives, opportunities and risks; demonstrated ability to translate strategy into priorities and action.
- Demonstrated ability to build, develop, and maintain partnerships, and to coordinate, negotiate and deal with partners and networks in private and public sectors.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively both orally and in writing, with strong representational abilities.
- Solid IT skills including knowledge of office software.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Academic specialization in education policy and/or education economics.
- At least five years’ experience in Education policy development, the organization and management of Education programmes preferably in several countries.
- Experience in planning, implementing and management of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD), teacher education, TVET and development programmes/projects.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the UN System.
- Good knowledge of Education systems in the Caribbean States Arab States, and good understanding of the educational and labour market issues in the Region.
- Working knowledge (written and spoken) of Spanish.
- Good knowledge (written and spoken) of French.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.