Gender Specialist and Gender Seal for Public Institutions Coordinator
home-based; office-based (new york
Instructions to Applicants: Click on the "Apply now" button. Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. Upon completion of the first page, please hit "submit application" tab at the end of the page. Please ensure that CV or P11 and the Cover letter are combined in one file.
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
UNDP will cover the cost of travel of the individual to the duty station, as well as their return to their home upon completion of their services. Travel costs are covered only in the event that the function will be undertake physically in the duty station and excludes working from home arrangements.
Due to the COVID19 context no official travel is expected. If the contexts changes, the position may require to travel to provide support to country offices within the gender seal framework.
UNDP has decades of work in this area, a global presence in 177 countries, and is well positioned to support and to have a key role in the implementation of SDG 16 in “Building of responsive, accountable and transparent institutions” and support Member States in promoting gender equality in public administration.
Addressing gender equality and women’s empowerment is a key aspect of UNDP’s approach to achieving its core vision. Gender equality and women’s empowerment are seen as goals in their own right and are also central to the achievement of UNDPs development mandate. UNDP is guided in its work by its Gender Equality Strategy 2018-2021 which details how UNDP works towards gender equality in each of the goals and key results.
The Gender Team of the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support (BPPS) is the institutional anchor of UNDP’s work on gender equality and women’s empowerment. The Gender Team provides policy advice and technical support to all of UNDP’s Bureaus and leadership on how to mainstream gender across all areas of their work.
In response to requests from UNDP offices and national partners around the globe, UNDP is now ready to help governments to put in place strong and practical mechanisms to strengthen the policy
process, agenda and procedures that will ensure that gender equality considerations are integrated into every aspect of national development. The Gender Equality Seal for Public Institutionsis a methodological proposal to support and acknowledge the efforts of public institutions towards achieving substantive equality between women and men within the framework of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda.
The Gender Equality Seal for Public Institutions proposes to accelerate gender mainstreaming in SDG implementation, based on a comprehensive process of transformation of key internal and external aspects of the institutional architecture. In-house, the Gender Equliaty Seal intends` to integrate gender equality principles and practices in the institutional culture and processes which are the core of the organizations’ operations. Externally, the GESPI aims to promote public institutions to analyse and mainstream gender into the public policies, to improve their approaches and their potential impact on women’s lives and gender equality.
The GESPI initiative will have global reach, being rolled out in all regions. The core implementation tool in the Gender Seal online platform that will anchor the assessment, learning and knowledge sharing services globally.
The incumbent will provide critical support to the BPPS/Gender Team under the direct supervision of the Gender Seal Programme Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
Coordination of the Gender Equality Seal for public institutions:
1. Coordinate the roll out of the Gender Equality Seal for Public Institutions including:
- Coordinate the global launching of the initiative;
- Provide technical advice to participant COs and participants institutions on gender equliaty and public administration, and on gender masintreaming;
- Liaison with applicants, tracking participants in each step of the Gender Equality Seal, ensure timely response to applicants, and liaison with regional hubs, and ensure actions are coordinated with HQ and regional Hubs;
- Ensure liaison and complementarity with the Gender Equality Seal for the Private Sector and the Gender Equality Seal for UNDP offfices and units.
2. Management, roll out and regular update of the Gender Equality Seal for Public Institutions online platform:
- Management and monitoring of the Gender Seal online platform;
- Development, adaptation and update of the tool based on lessons learnt demand;
- Budget management, produce TORs and manage recruitments as needed.
3. Implement Gender Equality Seal for Public Institutions learning and capacity development component on gender and public administation and gender masintreaming standards:
- Develop and implement training programme for auditors and assessors;
- Design learning materials and tools for public institutions participating in the Gender Seal;
- Design and coordinate set of webinars for Gender SealS users (public institutions) on gender mainstreaming into public institutions, Gender Seal methodology the steps towards the Gender Equality Seal;
- Carry out technical support mission to advice and support capacity development of participant public institutions.
4. Coordination and Quliaty Assurance of assessment services for public institutions participating in the GEndre Equliaty Seal:
- Coordinate appraisal missions to Gender Seal participant public institutions;
- Overview and quality assurance of the Gender Equlaity assessment of assessment services porivided by the Gender Equality Seal.
5. Lead fundraising and partnering strategy for Gender Equality Seal for Public Institutions
- Design and implement a fundraising and partnering strategy in coordination with internal fundraising efforts;
- Support the Gender Team efforts to integrate gender equality with-in the inclusive governance programming, promoting; coordination and synergies with other in-house working streams, and support corporate work of the Gender Team.
UN CORE VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients " and seeks to see things from clients' point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
Min. years of relevant Work experience
Required skills and competencies
Desired additional skills and competencies
Required Language(s) (at working level)