Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The Volunteer Services Centre (VSC) is responsible for providing timely and high-quality services in the sourcing, identification and recruitment of international UN Volunteers, as well as in the management of the conditions of service of volunteers, and in the management of payroll, service desk and special initiatives for volunteers and UN entities globally. VSC works in close collaboration with other relevant sections at headquarters, as well as with Regional Offices and Field Units to ensure seamless and consolidated services in accordance with regulations and rules, pertinent policies, and internal procedures.
Reporting to the Payroll Associate who coordinates volunteer payroll, the Payroll Associate provides technical and functional payroll support for the processing of Atlas payroll services for UN Volunteers consistent with UNV Conditions of Service. The Payroll Associate works in close collaboration with the volunteer recruitment and management staff in the Volunteer Services Centre for resolving complex payroll-related issues and information exchange. The Payroll Associate promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and supports to the maintenance of high-quality service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Administration of payroll services
- Ensure full compliance of Atlas payroll processes and procedures in line with UN, UNDP and UNV rules, regulations and policies, as well as effective implementation of the internal control framework;
- Ensure timely and accurate determination and processing of entitlements for UN Volunteers;
- Ensure accurate payroll data entries, verification and validation to reduce recoveries, advances and other exceptional payments;
- Maintain records (amounts, currencies and schedules) and processing of recovery in Atlas for all payroll-related advances which are paid out in Atlas;
- Support banking and disbursement services;
- Take timely corrective actions on erroneous data in Atlas that affects the payroll;
- Timely follow up with relevant staff on volunteer payroll issues;
- Prepare vouchers for UN Volunteers as required.
Operational support on payroll related matters
- Ensure that UN Volunteer destination banks are correctly set up to achieve fluidity of payments;
- Ensure full understanding of all available payment methods specifically to facilitate timely payments to UN Volunteers in countries with complex banking arrangements;
- Follow upon on claims of Non-Receipt of payment and ensure replacement of payable entitlements for rejected/returned payments
- Support the review and analysis of data for bank reconciliation when required;
- Perform payroll helpdesk and end-user support function;
- Ensure queries from UN Volunteers related to payment and/or non-payment of their entitlements through payroll are addressed
- Ensure timely corrective actions on technical issues by escalating to technical support.
Production of payroll reports and support to queries
- Audit checks and balances for due diligence and financial accountability within the Financial Rules and Regulations of UNDP;
- Monitor and take corrective action on Payroll reports which indicate unusual or questionable activity and payment;
- Provide information to management and staff on payroll rules and regulations;
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in UN Volunteer payroll;
- Provide sound contributions to internal business simplification initiatives and knowledge networks.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Knowledge of payroll processes and management and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
- Ability to perform administrative and procedural activities to ensure that quality requirements and goals are fulfilled
- Ability to engage and foster strategic partnerships with other parties, inter-agency coordination and forge productive working relationships
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education with specialized certification in HR or Finance;
- University Degree in HR, Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of experience in HR, payroll finance or general administration is required;
- Working knowledge of Atlas is an advantage.
- Fluency in English;
- Proficiency in another official UN language is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc);
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment;
- All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment;
- This post is open to nationals of Malaysia only.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
UNDP/UNV reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP/UNV at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.