IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
Staff in the General Service category are recruited locally from the Primary Location area, which is where the office is located
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The post is located in the Infrastructure Services (CSLI). CSLI is responsible for the maintenance of the entire headquarters premises and for providing services to staff. CSLI also assists Decentralized Offices in maintenance activities for spaces of FAO and those related to FAO technical projects. CSLI also coordinates the special infrastructure projects of the Italian Government which involves upgrading the structure of headquarters premises, including updating the buildings to current safety norms.
The Electrician performs ordinary and extraordinary maintenance work in headquarters and out posted premises on Low Voltage installations for industrial, office and residential use, medium voltage installations including electrical sub-stations equipped with MV/LV transformers, re-phasing systems, distribution panels, power generators, UPS systems, automatic and manual switchgear of all types, energy monitoring systems. The incumbent possesses a good knowledge of LED lighting systems, centralized emergency lighting systems, Public Address System, Access Control Systems, automatic gates, bars and sliding doors, anti-intrusion alarm systems, CCTV systems, fire detection systems, etc.
The Electrician reports to the Senior Facilities Management Officer and receives direct guidance from the Maintenance Supervisor. He/she acts with other electrician colleagues, or independently, in routine matters and consults with supervisor on new and/or more complex issues and procedures.
The Electrician interacts with a wide variety of colleagues within the work unit and with immediate clients within the Organization, providing routine support services and extraordinary maintenance work.
- Upon instructions from the supervisor, participate in the routine work together with the staff of the group and carry out the day-to-day ordinary and extraordinary maintenance assignments;
- Ensure efficient functioning of all electric equipment at all times according to prescribed Italian and European safety codes, work schedules and other needs that may arise;
- Install, connect, test functioning, maintain, repair, trouble-shoot, electrical wiring and fixtures as above for general condition, for proper functioning, for energy conservation, for environmental concerns and safety;
- Detect extraordinary maintenance problems and identify areas requiring repair/improvement and arrange with the Maintenance Supervisor for all necessary preventive maintenance to be carried out taking measures to prevent further damage;
- Operate to ensure that the electrical consumptions are within the standard consumption patterns and read regular meter readings of specific systems;
- Operate and plan maintenance tasks utilizing the CSLI Maintenance help-desk monitoring system;
- Perform emergency interventions on electrical panels, electrical substations, fire detection alarms, always in accordance with safety measures and International Electrical Codes in force;
- Maintain an updated situation of spare parts and materials in stock and prepare lists as necessary of supplies/materials and tools to be ordered;
- Compile daily and monthly reports of works executed, listing in detail the materials used;
- Perform other related duties, as required.
Impact Of Work
The incumbent's work impacts on the timely and efficient delivery of technical support services and on the overall output of the work unit.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
Education: Secondary school education or diploma from accredited technical school and training in all aspects of electrical trade; Have obtained the PES qualification
Experience: Three years of experience in installation and maintenance of complex electrical systems in large buildings in Medium Voltage and Low Voltage including Computer Centre, UPS, power generators, access control systems, anti-intrusion alarm systems, CCTV systems, Public Address systems
Languages: Limited knowledge (Level B) of English
IT Skills: Basic knowledge of the MS Office applications, Internet and office technology equipment
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Ability to read blueprints, estimates, technical specifications, electrical graphic symbols and prepare wiring drawings;
- Ability to make calculations of quantity of materials required, dimensions of cables, switches and evaluate work involved.
- Theoretical and updated knowledge of basic electrical standards
Desirable Qualifications and Skills
- Knowledge of existing electrical and security systems on FAO premises.
- Sound theoretical and updated knowledge of concepts and principles of electrical and electronic systems and components.
- Working knowledge (Level C) of English and Italian
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a technical / competency-based interview.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency