Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Inputs to elaboration and implementation of operational strategies;
- Management of procurement processes;
- Implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
- Full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, analysis of parameters in support of proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system;
- RSCA Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, control of the workflows in the Procurement Unit in coordination with supervisor;
- Analysis and proposals on cost saving and reduction strategies in the RSCA;
- Analysis and proposals on elaboration of contract strategy, sourcing strategy, quality management, supplier selection, improvement of procurement processes in the RSCA.
- Analysis of information for preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects and monitoring of their implementation;
- Implementation of proper monitoring and control of procurement processes including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulation;
- Preliminary review of submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP);
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Follow up on timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems;
- Elaboration of proposals and implementation of the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement;
- Implementation of harmonized procurement services and elaboration of proposals/ analysis of requirements on common services expansion in the UN House, introduction of joint procurement for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
- Development and management of the regional rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation criteria, quality and performance measurement mechanisms;
- Regularly Process PO for services or Goods which requires PO, Dispatch the PO on Time, facilitate payments to service provided and goods delivered, Closing of PO after completions of the required activities;
- Implementation of e-procurement module.
- Provide the required support, guidance and advice to requesting unit in the area of procurement;
- Actively provide update on their procurement actual status and work collaboratively for enhancement of procurement activities;
- Timely update the status of each procurement through prompt update. Weekly based follow-up to update prompt;
- Have a professional communication with different stakeholders in order to promote UNDP mandate and the profession of procurement.
- Participation in the organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in Procurement;
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member;
- Informed and transparent decision making.
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders.
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up to date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system.
- Maintains information/databases on system design features;
- Develops simple system components.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Actively supports the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs.
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems;
- Monitors the implementation of corporate accountability and results-based management systems and makes recommendations to enhance performance of business units.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent/Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in procurement management. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of web-based ERP management systems
- Fluency in English and national language of the duty station.
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.