UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UN Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) makes public and private finance work for the poor in the world’s 46 least developed countries (LDCs). With its capital mandate and instruments, UNCDF offers “last mile” finance models that unlock public and private resources, especially at the domestic level, to reduce poverty and support local economic development. This last mile is where available resources for development are scarcest; where market failures are most pronounced; and where benefits from national growth tend to leave people excluded.
UNCDF has brought its expertise in promoting a green and climate resilient local communities and economies for returnees, youth and women to support job creation in regions of departure, transit and return in Ghana, creating local ecosystems that facilitate the development of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and enabling the transition of local economies to green and climate resilient development under the Boosting Green Employment and Enterprise Opportunities in Ghana (GrEEn) project, funded by the European Union Trust Fund for Africa.
This programme in contributing to addressing the root causes of irregular migration through green and climate resilient local economic development and improving future prospects of beneficiaries, by creating employment and enterprise opportunities in selected sectors and regions (Ashanti and Western). The action aims at supporting job creation in regions of departure, transit and return of Ghana, creating local financial ecosystems that facilitate the development of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) and enabling the transition of local economies to green and climate resilient development.
The main results under the GrEEn Project are the following:
- Result 1 (R1): Local economies are stimulated and short-term job opportunities for youth, women and returnees are created through green and climate resilient investments.
- Result 2 (R2): Employability of youth, women and returnees are improved through orientation support and assistance, to transition to skills development for the benefit of green and climate resilient local economies (cash for work beneficiaries).
Result 3 (R3): Increased access and usage of financial services, leveraging remittances and digital solutions, adapted to the needs of (i) youth, women and returnees benefiting from cash for work schemes and (ii) local communities and MSMEs
Duties and Responsibilities
UNCDF is working with 10 districts in the two targeted regions to deliver green and resilient infrastructures/investments (subprojects) through Cash for Work (CfW) schemes under Results 1 (R1) over the 4 years of the project. Results 1 of the project will be implemented through the Ministry of Local Government, Decentralization and Rural Development (MLGDRD), which is also the anchor Ministry of the GrEEn project.
Amongst the different result areas of the project, UNCDF is responsible for providing a set of integrated services to 4,000 CfW beneficiaries. In addition, UNCDF is to provide these CfW beneficiaries with specific training opportunities on basic life skills (R2) through its partner SOS NL/GH and a full range of financial services, including payments of stipends, opening of savings accounts and others to be provided under R3 of the project.
The Programme Specialist (Decentralization) will work under the daily technical supervision of the National Technical Specialist (Local Government Finance) and under the overall supervision of the Programme Management Specialist. The Programme Specialist (Decentralization) will be part of the 20+ country LoCAL programmes and benefit from the links with this network.
The expected activities to be carried out by the Programme Specialist (Decentralization) are summarized as follows:
- Ensures the Local Climate Adaptive Living (LoCAL) Facility implementation through the various stages (40%),
- Guarantees the effective, efficient and transparent project implementation in line with UNCDF project management regulations (40%),
- Knowledge management and communication (10%)
- Networking and partnership building (10%)
4. Institutional Arrangement
The Programme Specialist (Decentralization) will work under the daily technical supervision of the National Technical Specialist (Local Government Finance) and under the overall supervision of the Programme Management Specialist.
- Experience in policy, regulatory and technical advice and project management related to the fields of local government finance, performance-based climate resilience grants and local economic development or equivalent;
- Proven experience in project management;
- Relevant technical experience with policy and regulatory bodies and central and local governments in developing countries;
- Work experience with environmental sustainability and climate change in developing countries and Ghana;
- Experience with addressing gender equality as project objective and/or cross-cutting issue;
- Experience working with local communities, youth and women.
- Experience forming, leading or being part of teams, working with other stakeholders to achieve common goals;
- Strong client orientation, recognizing the importance of providing appropriate, user-friendly and affordable services;
- Proactively identifies, develops and discusses solutions for internal and external clients, and communicates with management to develop new projects or services;
- Comfortable advocating and advancing an agenda, including with high level counterparts and other stakeholders;
- Experience managing project teams and/or consultants, including recruiting, hiring and managing and evaluating international and national expertise; Takes on new approaches and fosters innovative thinking;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities, and resolve problems;
- Approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and responds positively to feedback.
- Proven ability to manage projects and managing for results;
- Excellent speaking and proficient writing skills in English are necessary;
- Excellent analytical and communication skills;
- Strong general IT skills, including ability to work regularly with MS Office Suite;
- Proven cross-cultural communication, able to function effectively in an international, multicultural environment;
- Demonstrated broad knowledge of development issues, especially in the areas of poverty alleviation and local development.
- Builds and promotes teams and partnerships;
- Displays cultural and gender sensitivity and adaptability;
- Creates and promotes open communication;
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrates political acumen and calculated risk-taking;
- Builds confidence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Conducts fair and transparent decision making;
- Treats all persons fairly without favoritism;
- Shows strong corporate commitment.
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
A Postgraduate degree in Economics, Public Policy, Finance, International Development, or other related fields. A first-level university degree in combination with ten additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Min. years of relevant Work experience
At least 10 years of national professional experience in the fields of public financial management, development economics and/or job creation with a specific emphasis on local governance, development planning, local government internally generated fund strategy formulation, finance, and/or mainstreaming,
Experience in programme design, capacity development and institutional strengthening on public financial management and economic development, ideally in the context of decentralization processes,
Prior experience with performance-based grants and similar tools like budget support, ideally for job creation, Natural Resource Management (NRM) and/or climate change.
Relevant technical experience with policy and regulatory bodies and central and local governments in Ghana,
Strong communication and interpersonal skills and experience in organizing and facilitating consultations, field visits and workshops,
government finance, performance-based climate resilience grants and local economic development or equivalent.
Proven experience in project management.
Relevant technical experience with policy and regulatory bodies and central and local governments in developing countries.
Work experience with environmental sustainability and climate change in developing countries and Ghana;
Experience with addressing gender equality as project objective and/or cross-cutting issue.
Experience working with local communities, youth and women.
Excellent speaking and proficient writing skills in English are necessary.
Fluency in local languages
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.