Project Assistant SDG Engagement Facility Project
Honiara (Solomon Islands)
The Solomon Islands Government (SIG) endorses the National Development Strategy (NDS) 2016-2035 as the overarching framework by which Donors, CSOs and the Private Sector alike must implement within its jurisdiction. The NDS stipulates gaps and priority areas where national financial resources and in-kind resources should be directed and prioritized. While gaps are stipulated clearly in terms of national priorities, there is limited facilities directed at mobilizing resources to the immediate priorities of the Government. The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is therefore prepared to support the Solomon Islands Government to mobilize resources where immediate priorities fall under the UNDP Mandate.
This includes three overarching mandatory portfolios of UNDP namely, Governance Portfolio, Resilience and Sustainable Development Portfolio and the Inclusive Growth Portfolio. The emphasis for resource mobilization falls under these specific sectors, Digital Transformation, Response to COVID Recovery, SDG Integration, LDC Graduation, the National Development, Climate Action and Blue Economy.
UNDP is looking for a Project Assistant to oversee the management and implementation of the project and support resource mobilization efforts of the government, CSOs and the Private Sector in addressing issues that are prioritized under the National Development Strategy.
The incumbent will also be responsible to support the Project Coordinator for the day to day management of the Project and the effective mobilization of resources to implement new projects. Partnership building with the national and donor community as well as enhancing visibility of the initiatives led by UNDP will be an important part of the assignment.
The incumbent will be expected to maintain regular cooperation with the local stakeholders, including the Government Partner Ministries, Civil Society Organizations and Private Sector.
The person will be able to work closely to with actual implementing partners and other development partners as well as main counterparts for this project, for Governance, Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of Law and Justice and Ministry of National Unity Reconciliation and Peace. For Resilience and Sustainable Development Portfolio, the main partner is Ministry of Environment Climate Change and Disaster Management and Meteorology and Ministry of Mines and Rural Electrification and Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock. For Inclusive growth main partners are Ministry of Women Youth and Children Affairs, Solomon Island Chamber of Commerce and Young Entrepreneurs Council of Solomon Islands. Other main UNDP Partners include UNICEF, UNCDF, and UN Women.
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the UNDP Country Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
- Support in Project Development and Partnership Specialist to implement the project including developing the strategies for different components outlined in the project and ensures that gender sensitive approaches are integrated;
- Support in coordination with different project partners for implementation of project activities;
- Support formulation of the project Annual Work Plan in collaboration with the project partners;
- Support financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects for achievement of results and ensures capturing of gender disaggregated results.
- Support Project Coordinator to prepare donor reports regularly on activities, outputs and outcomes as per UNDP rules and regulations and ensure that gender dimensions are highlighted in all products; and
- Support the fielding of national and international consultants to the partners and follow up on recommendations to be implemented.
- The Project Assistant will execute the duties and responsibilities outlined above under the guidance and supervision of the Project Development and Partnership Specialist and Project Team.
Required skills and competencies
- Proven knowledge and experience in development assistance projects at national level in the area of governance.
- Ability to network and liaise with relevant counterparts
Required Skills and Experience
Min. Academic Education
Bachelor’s degree in Management and Public Administration,Finance, , Social Policy and relevant discipline, including, law, research governance, commerce, social work and administration.
Min. years of relevant Work experience
At least 3 years of relevant experience in development in a governmental, multilateral or civil society organization in a multi-cultural setting.
Required skills and competencies
Proven knowledge and experience in development assistance projects at national level in the area of governance.
Ability to network and liaise with relevant counterparts.
Desired additional skills and competencies
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of web based management systems; working knowledgeof the UNDP Atlas system is a distinct advantage.
Required Language(s) (at working level)
Fluency in oral and written English, Fluency in Solomon Islands pidgin; knowledge of other languages an advantage
- The incumbent may be required to travel to other Solomon Islands provinces and inland travel in Guadacanal.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Annexes to the TOR
- Links to UNDP Solomon Island website .
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Post will be convertsed to NPSA