UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- Project: Improving Living Conditions in Palestinian Gatherings Host Communities: Towards More
- Comprehensive and Sustainable Solutions
- Classified Level: NPSA 5
- Contract Type: Regular
- Office- or Home-based: Office Based
Palestinian Gatherings represent one of the most vulnerable and marginalized host communities in Lebanon. These areas represent informal areas of dwelling for a majority of Palestinian refugees without enjoying a camp status. An estimated 120,000 host and newly displaced refugees live in dire conditions that have long existed in the gatherings, marked by poverty and inequality, lack of service provision, run-down physical environments and limited access to jobs and income generation opportunities. Legal restrictions imposed on Palestinian refugees in Lebanon contribute to the worsening of their socio-economic conditions. Palestinian refugees are unable to own property assets in the country as per the 2001 law, which required to bequeath properties already acquired by Palestinians to religious authorities. In spite of the recent limited changes in labor regulations, Palestinian refugees in Lebanon also remain excluded from all syndicated professions. Moreover, Palestinian Gatherings remain excluded from wider sector development plans or local projects and services. The situation has worsened since the Syrian crisis, resulting currently in 16% population rise in these vulnerable host communities. As a result, Palestinian Gatherings have been witnessing unmet demand on WASH services and infrastructure networks, unprecedented pressure on available shelters and spaces, and additional competition over resources, jobs and relief. All these factors have contributed not only to worsening the living conditions of Palestinian refugees in the Gatherings, but also to the rise of tensions within the Gatherings and surrounding communities.
The project seeks to strengthen the resilience of the host communities in the most vulnerable host Palestinian Gatherings. Interventions will include:
- Output 1: Provide environmentally and economically sustainable WASH services at community level in the gatherings.
- Output 2: Improve environmental and structural conditions of shelter units in the gatherings.
- Output 3: Promote inclusive and safer environments in the gatherings though comprehensive neighborhood upgrading interventions.
- Output 4: Improve hygiene conditions for host and new refugee communities in the gatherings.
- Output 5: Reduce youth risky behaviors in the gatherings through livelihood interventions.
- Output 6: Develop a national coordination and planning platform for response and development in Palestinian Gatherings.
- Output 7: Local communities and institutions supported to respond to COVID-19 in the gatherings.
Under the supervision of the Project Manager, the Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support in all administrative aspects related to the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative support to the Project Manager and team in all administrative aspects related to the project.
- Follow up on correspondence and prepare brief responses when necessary.
- Maintain the electronic and paper filing and documents retrieval system; maintain proper inventory records ofoffice material and equipment and handle supply requisition (purchase orders, etc).
- Keep and maintain proper personnel files for all project staff (leaves, missions, travel, etc.), process entitlements(daily subsistence allowance, remuneration) and follow up on contracts of project staff (extensions, renewals, etc.).
- Coordinate with UNDP procurement department to make sure that rules are followed in procurement activities carried out by the project and maintain the inventory of the project assets.
- Assist in the administrative preparation of requests of interest, requests for information, prequalification documents, requests for proposals, and bidding documents ensuring all supporting documents are in accordance with UNDP requirements, and undertake all Atlas related entries.
- Correspond with suppliers, consultants, and beneficiaries for follow up on various procurement processes such as invitations to bid, clarification requests, setting acceptance operations, etc.
- Support with requests for quotations for services, supplies and commodities for micro purchasing processes.
- Handle the electronic signature of finalized procurement evaluation documents.
- Follow up on the due dates of all procurement contracts and notify the project staff ahead of time of contracts that may require extension.
- Provide support to the Administrative and Finance Officer in processing of payments and make sure they are correctly executed following relevant UNDP procedures.
- Assist in coordination with vendors, companies, service providers and project team to follow-up on progress and issue payments.
- Support the project’s Admin and Finance Officer as needed.
- Ability to plan and prioritize own workload;
- Attention to details and ability to handle tasks accurately;
- Upholds organizational and ethical standards, including respect for diversity and gender equality;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and problem-solving skills;
- Proven inter-personal written and oral communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary degree or Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration preferably in management, administration, or any related field.
- Secondary degree with 5 years or Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of relevant work experience as a logistic, procurement, and admin support;
- Knowledge of handling payment requests and administrative rules/office support tasks.
- Knowledge of UNDP administrative rules is a plus.
- Fluent in English and Arabic
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.