Senior Legal Adviser - Climate Justice (internationally recruited)
The principles of the rule of law are embedded throughout the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and articulated in Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 16, which aims to “promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels”.
As the only global intergovernmental organization exclusively devoted to promoting the rule of law as an enabler of peace, sustainable development and human rights, IDLO is fully committed to advancing Agenda 2030 and the SDGs, with a special focus on SDG16 and especially in lower and middle-income countries and fragile development contexts.
As highlighted in its Strategic Plan 2021-2024, IDLO is committed to climate justice, supporting fair, effective and equitable legal frameworks to help protect the environment and promote sustainable use and governance of land and natural resources. A rule of law-based approach to climate justice can enable concerted action at national and international levels and empower communities affected by climate change to claim their rights and participate in development.
In this context, IDLO is seeking a Senior Legal Adviser - Climate Justice to lead its climate justice portfolio and advance its climate justice strategy, integrating program, research and policy elements, with a focus on fragile and developing contexts. The Senior Legal Adviser will advance policy, research, programming and network development and drive the visibility, coherence and coordination of IDLO’s climate portfolio, in line with its Strategic Plan.
Under the supervision of the Director, Research and Learning, and in coordination with the IDLO climate justice thematic cluster, the Senior Legal Adviser will be responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following duties:
- Lead the implementation of IDLO’s climate justice strategy, integrating research, policy, program development and program implementation elements;
- Identify and actively pursue opportunities to expand/consolidate IDLO’s climate justice portfolio and contribute to global policy dialogues on the link between rule of law and climate justice, natural resources, sustainability, with a focus on Agenda 2030;
- As the thematic lead of the internal cluster on climate justice, champion climate-related activities within IDLO including through knowledge-sharing webinars, staff mentoring, capacity development activities and curation of a knowledge repository;
- In coordination with the Department of External Relations and Partnerships, support strategic partnerships and resource mobilization in the area of climate justice and rule of law;
- Help establish and coordinate a high-level Climate Justice Expert Advisory Group;
- Guide the production of climate justice-related knowledge products within IDLO;
- In coordination with the department of Programs, support the development and delivery of IDLO programming on climate change, including in fragile and conflict-affected countries;
- Guide and supervise the preparation of briefing materials for IDLO’s engagement in climate justice events;
- Effectively lead the team by providing clear direction, addressing staff development, and implementing performance management through ongoing dialogue, feedback, and mentoring; motivate and support team with a view to fostering a teamwork approach in meeting objectives and goals; address possible conflicts in a positive and constructive manner; encourage initiative and maintain effective working relationships within a multi-cultural setting.
Ideal Candidate Profile
Education and Work Experience
- Master’s degree in Law, Development Studies, Environmental Studies, Climate Justice, Environmental Policy or a related field is required.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience in climate justice, environmental law, rule of law, justice sector, security and human rights is required.
- Sound understanding of global policy developments in climate change, climate justice, the environment, sustainable development and rule of law.
- Proven experience in leading climate justice policy activities, research and / or program design, preferably as part of an international organization, international NGO, think tank or other organization with global reach.
- Experience in designing and / or mainstreaming gender-responsive rule of law approaches to climate issue.
- Proven track record of producing high-quality policy research and analysis.
- Excellent and consolidated network in climate justice, sustainable development and rule of law.
- Fluent oral and professional writing skills in English are essential. Knowledge of additional languages would be an asset.
Specific Knowledge / Skills / Competencies
- Demonstrated knowledge of climate justice policy and programming.
- Demonstrated knowledge of rule of law and access to justice policy and programming.
- Demonstrated knowledge of major actors and funding environment for climate justice.
- Established policy and program network in climate change / climate justice / environmental law.
- Capacity to work across strategic sectors, with a focus on gender.
- Excellent drafting and editing skills.
- Ability to work effectively across and within organizational boundaries.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience working in a diverse professional environment.
- Works well with others and actively participates, shares information, contributes, encourages, and motivates others to become involved in thematic activities, including providing constructive feedback.
- Proven ability to see tasks through and set and deliver results.
- Proven ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability and willingness to travel to high-conflict areas, if necessary; and
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this internationally recruited professional position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an international Affiliate Contract of 24 months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
IDLO shall offer a basic salary of Euro €73,000 and a benefits package including provident fund contribution, medical insurance, leave entitlements in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules. Relocation and installation support are also available for internationally recruited employees.
Salaries and benefits paid by IDLO to employees are exempt from taxation in Italy. IDLO employees are responsible for compliance with income tax laws of their country of nationality or residence and/or of any other relevant fiscal jurisdiction.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates. IDLO is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature, or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs, as necessary.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.