Gift Officer, Midlevel Giving
New York City (United States of America)
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $500 million annually in funds to meet the financial needs of our organization.
In Development, the Midlevel Giving team is responsible for raising over $100 million from midlevel donors through a hybrid of high touch engagement and integrated mass marketing strategies.
Do you love building new relationships and sharing your passions with everyone you meet? Do you take initiative to maintain meaningful and successful relationships? If this sounds like you, and something that will “fill your cup” we would love to hear from you.
Doctors Without Borders seeks a Gift Officer, Midlevel Giving to help grow our robust midlevel program ($1,000-24,999 cumulative). In this new role you will cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of donors across the U.S., deepening connection and securing funds for our lifesaving work. You will focus on providing the very best moves management system to retain and upgrade these important donors.
Working closely with the Associate Director, Midlevel Giving, you will inspire loyalty and commitment with a focus on donors who have the greatest potential in this highly valuable cohort. You will be an important donor facing part of a fundraising team striving to raise more than $100 million.
You are a dynamic relationship manager that loves to provide top notch donor care. You listen for financially savvy vehicles and non-cash gift opportunities, elevating unrestricted and multi-year giving, and successfully closing gifts. You convey credibility and expertise. No task is too small.
In this role you will report to the Associate Director, Midlevel Giving. Your responsibilities will include:
- Develop and implement effective cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for a portfolio of assigned donors nationwide with an eye toward prioritization.
- Qualify capacity to make leadership gifts within Midlevel and identify prospects for lasting investments and transformational giving, collaborating with Planned Giving and Major Gifts
Build relationships with assigned donors to strengthen long-term financial support and create a two-way dialogue with donors. Ask thoughtful and strategic questions, inspiring donors to communicate philanthropic goals.
Increase donor engagement and commitment to the organization through an active schedule of moves management with donors including phone calls, personalized email communications, ongoing written contact, visits, and events (when safe to resume).
Personally acknowledge gifts from assigned donors and coordinate additional leadership team acknowledgements when warranted.
Record donor activities, preferences and cogent notes on interactions in CRM in a timely manner.
Monitor and report-out on portfolio performance and effectiveness of strategies and tactics; recommend changes to course correct and improve metrics as needed.
Participate in routine pipeline meetings and donor strategy sessions.
Stay abreast of MSF programs and international news as well as key support and mission delivery issues around the world. Reads our publications and attends aid worker presentations.
Interpret and communicate the lifesaving work of Doctors Without Borders in compelling ways.
Contribute ideas and experience to help evolve messaging, design, and processes for Midlevel Giving
Strong collaboration with Midlevel Giving (including Concierge), Donor Services, Prospect Research, Major Gifts and Planned Giving.
Attend and travel to local and nationwide events to meet with donors and cultivate relationships.
Additional assignments as required.
- Minimum three to five years’ experience in fundraising with at least two years in midlevel giving, leadership giving, major gifts or transferable constituent facing roles.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain meaningful and successful supporter relationships in a front-facing role.
- Ability to communicate effectively and comfortably with donors in person and over the phone. Comfort in “cold calling” and soliciting donations.
- Demonstrated ability to develop successful strategies for donor recruitment and retention.
- Demonstrated experience with moves management process, defining the steps along the donor continuum moving a midlevel giving donor to major or legacy giving.
- Familiarity with all aspects of fundraising concepts, including Planned Giving, Major Gifts, and stewardship functions.
- High level of discretion with donor’s private information and motivations.
- Collaborative team player able to work effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Proficiency in tracking progress through fundraising CRM such as Salesforce NPSP.
- Self-starter with strong organizational and time management skills; attention to detail and process.
- Embraces the mission, principles, and messaging of Doctors Without Borders with enthusiasm. Willing to professionally advocate for humanitarian issues.
- Commitment to principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to travel for donor visits, MSF events, and industry events once safe to resume.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Prior demonstrable success securing four and five figure gifts, plus multiyear commitments.
- Experience with KPI and forecasting measurement objectives.
- Ability to identify and anticipate obstacles, and judge when and how to engage key stakeholders with discretion.
- Needs to be comfortable with ambiguity and have ability to operate amidst change.
- Digitally literate and comfortable learning new software applications.
- Clear, legible handwriting for writing to donors.
This position requires sitting (or standing as preferred) for long periods and to concentrate on work. This includes typing and close proofreading.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Relocation and visa sponsorship will be offered for this position.
We offer Great Benefits including supporting Work-Life Balance initiatives
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
No phone calls and emails please. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
While temporarily remote, this role is based in our New York City office.
MSF-USA/Doctors Without Borders is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No employee, or applicant for employment, shall be discriminated against in any term or condition of employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. We are constantly striving to make our organization anti-racist. Diversity, equity and inclusion are core values. As an employee, you become part of that mission. We expect this same commitment from our staff.