Digital Content Manager
New York City (United States of America)
*Open to remote work options.*
International Rescue Committee
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a global leader in providing emergency relief, rehabilitation, post-conflict development, human rights protection, resettlement services and advocacy for refugees and others uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is committed to restoring hope, freedom, dignity, and self-reliance.
The IRC Resettlement, Asylum and Integration (RAI) department creates opportunities for refugees and other vulnerable migrants to survive and thrive in the United States and in Europe. With a network of 25 offices in 15 U.S. states, RAI serves more than 35,000 individuals each year, among them some 10,000 newly arrived refugees, through a diverse portfolio of programs.
The IRC is a key partner in the National Resource Center for Refugees, Immigrants, and Migrants (NRC-RIM) project, funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM). The primary objective of this project is to support health departments and community organizations working with refugee, immigrant, and migrant (RIM) communities that have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19. To achieve this, a key focus has been on increasing vaccine access. The IRC is creating a responsive, information platform that will provide trusted, reliable information on health and COVID-19 via channels RIM communities prefer and in the language(s) they speak. The IRC will accomplish this by: 1) creating an integrated, multi-channel communications platform to streamline existing communications with RIM communities, 2) disseminating timely, trusted vaccine information though multilingual and culturally-appropriate resources, and 3) providing one-on-one support through trusted, trained messengers to facilitate vaccine access in RIM communities.
This new initiative will be a collaboration between the NRC-RIM team and the Signpost team, which is comprised of a team of frontline responders and support personnel who have expertise in digitally delivered, responsive information services.
The Digital Content Manager brings digital communications, journalistic rigor, social media savvy, and knowledge of content optimization to health and COVID-19 information products created by the IRC and NRC-RIM. These products are linguistically- and culturally-appropriate health communications and resources for RIM communities. They will have primary responsibility for adapting, and repurposing content as digital, user-friendly information, and maintaining social media marketing strategies to reach the target audience. They will be tasked with ensuring content is accurate, complete, easy to understand, and engaging.
They will work closely with a team of bilingual and bicultural messengers, ensuring that messages from users are answered in a timely fashion, in line with best practices, and that referrals follow appropriate protocol.
They will report to the Senior Program officer for Digital Initiatives and work closely with the NRC-RIM project staff, multimedia specialist, and Signpost team.
● Support implementation of communication strategies to reach and engage RIM communities to increase visibility of NRC-RIM resources and materials.
● Regularly adapt, edit, and repurpose multimedia content for multicultural, multilingual audiences.
● Ensure content is accurate, complete, easy to understand, engaging, and renders correctly.
● Manage social media accounts and ensure content is scheduled and posted according to the content calendar.
● Continuously ensure that the editorial content is up to date.
● Use the content management system and other tools to prepare content for publication.
● Define, implement, monitor, and provide reporting for digital advertising campaigns.
● Continuously monitor web and social media performance indicators, flag criticalities, and propose improvements to the communication and marketing strategy.
● Resolve technical issues across platforms.
● Maintain knowledge of editorial tools including content management systems, analytical tools, social media tools (Facebook, Facebook Ad Manager, Page Manager, and Instagram), and project management tools (Trello, Transifex, and Teams).
● Work closely with the moderator team, ensuring that messages from users are answered in a timely fashion and in line with best practice.
● Maintain close working relationships with relevant RAI offices and with technical staff, including the Health Promotion Technical Advisor, to ensure appropriate technical oversight and input.
● Establish and maintain relationships with RAI technical units, team of moderators, and other key internal and external stakeholders.
• BA/BS or equivalent experience in multimedia journalism, computer science, digital communications or relevant field.
• 2-5 years of reporting, writing, and editing experience, including for online platforms and social media.
• Experience with website content management and familiarity with HTML required; preference for experience managing websites in multiple languages.
• Experience and/or interest in health communications, public health, or behavior change considered an advantage.
• Knowledge of and experience using digital analytics tools (Google Analytics) and SEO, creating social media or newsletter content, and managing content in mobile apps strongly preferred.
• Experience working with and developing content for multicultural, multilingual audiences.
• Video and photo production be considered an advantage.
• Basic knowledge of graphic design software.
• Basic knowledge of video and photo editing would be an advantage
• Solid understanding of the digital landscape, social media platforms, and what makes digital content work.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully work in a fast-paced environment within and across departments/functions/geographic locations and develop positive relationships with local and remote based staff.
• Solid organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple tasks, set priorities, effectively manage time, and meet deadlines.
• Detail orientated and self-directed.
• Strong commitment to social service or humanitarian assistance programs and willingness to adhere to the IRC’s code of conduct.
• Individuals with lived experience and/or experience working with RIM communities are strongly encouraged to apply
• Fluency in English required; knowledge of common RIM language(s) (such as Arabic, Burmese, Dari, Nepali, Pashto, Swahili, Tigrinya, Ukrainian) an advantage.
Some travel may be included when safe to meet with partners, refugee communities, and staff based in other offices.
Standard office work environment. Open to remote work options.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.