Economist (for "FILIPINO NATIONALS" only)
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. UNDP is on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, working with national counterparts on solutions to global and national development challenges.
In the programme countries, UNDP supports stabilization, state-building, governance and development priorities in in partnership with the host governments, the United Nations system, the development partners and other partners to help the country to achieve sustainable development by eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development and building resilience to crises and shock.
In addition, UNDP now has the mandate to support SDG Integration to ensure faster progress on sustainable development and offers support in four areas, (1) integrated policy and programming solutions, (2) SDG dashboards, data and analysis using state-of-the-art tools for modelling and forecasting, (3) knowledge and innovation and (4) SDG Financing options to help countries identify innovative ways to expand public and private contributions to reach the 2030 agenda. Lastly, the COVID-19 pandemic has also highlighted an urgent need to adopt a Systems Approach that is orientated towards building Resilience to future shocks through continuously reviewed scenario analyses.
The Economist works under the guidance of the Resident Representative, and s/he will work closely with the programme and operations teams in the country office, accelerator and data labs, and staff in the Bangkok Regional Hub (BRH) and New York in Regional Bureau of Asia and the Pacific as well as the Global Policy Network (GPN) of UNDP. S/he will be heading the porgramme and impact advisory team. P S/he will also collaborate with the Asia-Pacific regional network of country economists. This will include systematic engagement with and oversight from the lead regional economic advisors based in Bangkok and New York. S/he is also expected to develop and maintain a professional network across development partner agencies, government institutions, the private sector, and civil society at the country level.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advice the UNDP Philippines management and programme team to strengthen programme development and implementation.
- Provision of technical advice to national government counterparts and other partners, especially in support of the 2030 Agenda and the introduction of sustainable and inclusive economic policies.
- Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement to support UNDP’s institutional positioning and advance its mandate, when directed by the Resident Representative.
- Contribute to UNDP’s work across the Asia-Pacific region, including collaboration with the regional economist network and analysis of priority regional thematic areas.
- Advice the UNDP country office management and programme team to strengthen programme development and implementation:
- Advise UNDP country office management with preparation and implementation of country programmes and strategies, including the development of country programme document, pipeline of projects and related analysis such as common country assessment.
- Support UNDP country office teams to develop and manage portfolios towards the localization of SDGs.
- Support UNDP country office efforts to conceptualize and implement the National Integrated Financing Framework (INFF) and accompanying process and use existing financial resources more effectively and efficiently to achieve the SDGs.
- Provide thought leadership in the data analysis and research in priority thematic areas at the country level, including publication of policy briefs or other analytical outputs.
- Lead the development of reports, policy briefs and UNDP flagship products such as National Human Development Report (HDR) and ensure that it provides added value in terms of development economic analysis, updated data and information for policy formulation.
- Compile and analyze statistical data as required in support of country strategies and activities.
- Collaborate across UNDP teams, especially to ensure linkages to the work emerging from the network of acceleration labs, deepen understanding of UNDP growing portfolio of projects impact through data analysis.
- Lead the expansion of country office service offers on financing for development, including innovative financing models, city/ circular economy offers and country specific/sector specific studies.
- Work closely with partnership and platforms manager in scanning of the landscape of issues and identifying entry points and linkages across social, political, economic, and environmental dimension.
- Support the preparation of briefs, background notes, speeches, talking points, presentation materials, etc. on critical development issues within the SDG framework for senior management at the country and regional levels.
- Provision of technical advice to national government counterparts and other partners, especially in support of the 2030 Agenda and the introduction of sustainable and inclusive economic policies:
- Manage UNDP Programme and Impact Advisory Team (PIAT) Unit ensuring the development of a robust policy relevant agenda anchored on data and innovation to improve evidence-based policymaking and programme development.
- Provide policy and programming advice and support for development planning and policy formulation at the national, sub-national and local levels.
- Provide high level guidance and leadership to the UNDP’s emerging portfolio of innovation work ensuring documentation of learnings and its relevance to national agenda, enable the innovation portfolio position UNDP programmes to have optimal impact and application of systems thinking to development challenges and translate insights.
- Support the identification and analysis of innovative solutions that can impact multiple development goals and targets at the same time by harnessing a unique set up of data and innovation lab.
- Support monitoring and reporting of progress related to SDGs and other national development frameworks, including to help strengthen national and local level data collection and statistical capacity.
- Develop and facilitate collaboration and partnership with academia, think thanks and research networks.
- Advise and facilitate dialogue on sustainable development issues with government officials, development partners, civil society, and the private sector.
- Support to leverage UNDP’s regional and global programmes, to provide holistic and effective support to the country.
- Leverage support and expertise from the UNDP’s global/regional Economist networks to assist in strengthening UNDP’s support on economic analysis and policy development to Government and the UN Country Team.
- Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement to support UNDP’s institutional positioning and advance its mandate:
- Work closely with the SDG Partnership and platform manager to enhance partnerships, strategic business development and bringing in outside capacities and networks for enhanced impact.
- Contribute, in close collaboration with senior management, to the development and/or strengthening of partnerships with UN agencies, IFIs, bilateral development agencies, private sector entities, and civil society organizations.
- Provide technical advice to the UN informal economist group and backbone support to UN outcome pillar leads as appropriate, UN task forces such as for food submit and other collaborative activities with UN agencies.
- When delegated, represent UNDP country office in relevant forums, conferences or workshops, including to present research or programmatic results.
- Assist the Resident Representative in resource mobilization and future growth strategies and contribute to the design of large-scale programme and development solutions.
- Contribute to national, regional, and global knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Contribute to the UN cooperation framework by actively participating in various pillars and taskforces.
- Contribution to UNDP’s work across the Asia-Pacific region, including collaboration with the regional economist network and analysis of priority regional thematic areas:
- Participate actively in the UNDP Asia-Pacific regional network of economists, through attending regional meetings (in-person and/or virtual), sharing relevant experiences, and conducting peer reviews.
- Collaborate and contribute to regional publications, practice notes, and Regional Human Development Reports.
- Substantively contribute as possible to UNDP regional knowledge products and development of programming offers in regional priority areas (e.g., inequality, future of work, innovative financing).
- Enhance UNDP’s understanding and design of new approaches to sustainable development across the region by acting as a regional thematic lead where possible.
Innovation. Ability to make new and useful ideas work. Level 5: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them.
Leadership. Ability to persuade others to follow. Level 5: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to removes barriers.
People Management. Ability to improve performance and satisfaction. Level 5: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others.
Communication. Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform. Level 5: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others.
Delivery. Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement. Level 5:Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions.
Economics. Knowledge of economics concepts, principles and policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
Information Systems & Technology. Knowledge of IST innovations and concepts and ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
Innovation. Ability to try out / test new ways of engagement and communications. Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
Strategic Thinking / Visioning. Ability to analyse the organization’s value proposition and shape visionary/long term plans. Use insight to identify target audiences and partners and to inform communication objectives, messages and solutions. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
Collaboration and Partnership. Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Economics or related fields is required.
- Ph.D. in Economics will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 7 years, experience at the national or international level in relevant areas of economic research and policy and implementation support.
- Extensive experience in research and policy-level analysis.
- Proven policy, advisory and advocacy experience.
- Experience in preparing high quality policy briefs and guidance notes for use by senior policy makers.
- Experience of strategic visioning with strong technical and highly developed analytical capabilities.
- Knowledge of the SDGs and their application at the national level, politically astute with demonstrated experience in stakeholder analysis and engagement.
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data; and
- Previous work experience in Asia and the Pacific region would be an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English is essential.
- Fluency in the official language of the duty station (for National Officer position) is a requirement.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers themselves to be suitable for the position. In order to upload the cover letter:
- Login to your account in eRecruit
- Go to "Applicant Attachments" and click on "Add Attachments"
- Under Attachment Type, choose "Proof of Academic Qual"
- Under Attachment Purpose, indicate "required cover letter for Economist (for "Filipino Nationals" only) application"
To start the application process, applicants are required to register at http://jobs.undp.org by creating a personal profile and completing UNDP Personal History Form. Please note that UNDP only accepts degrees from accredited educational institutions. Only applications received through http://jobs.undp.org will be considered and applications received after closing date will not be considered. Due to the large number of applications received for UNDP Philippines vacancies, only applicants short-listed for written test and interview will be contacted.
UNDP is committed to gender equality in its mandate and its staffs and encourages applications from qualified candidates and persons with disabilities.
UNDP is a United Nations organization whose staff are expected to uphold the highest standards of integrity, neutrality and impartiality. This includes respect for and commitment to human rights, diversity, and non-violent means of dealing with all kinds of conflict. UNDP staff are expected to uphold these values at all times, both at work and outside. Only persons who fully and unconditionally commit to these values should consider applying for UNDP jobs.
UNDP has zero tolerance of sexual abuse, abuse of authority and exploitation.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
The United Nations does not charge fees at any stage of the recruitment process (application, testing, interviewing, etc.). The United Nations does not concern itself with information related to bank accounts.