Boat and Vehicle Driver
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO representatives, is to assistant governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner to ensure zero hunger in the country. FAO provides support in three priority areas: sustainable increase in production and productivity, agriculture-based economic growth, and increased resilience of livelihoods to threats and crisis.
The current portfolio of projects in South Sudan includes activities related to agriculture (crop), livestock, Fisheries, Natural Resource management, food information systems is implemented with humanitarian, transitional and development funding. The incumbent will contribute to the country’s Programme and portfolio as foreseen in the project he/she will coordinate and be assigned.
The Boats and Vehicle driver will work under the overall supervision of the Head of field office and direct supervision of the logistics Associate at the respective field office.
• Ensures day-to-day maintenance of the assigned boats and vehicle(s); checks oil, life Jackets, engine, water, battery, tires, and performs minor repairs, reports and arranges for any other repairs necessary to keep the vehicle safe and technically sound at all times in a timely manner; maintains the vehicle(s) in a clean condition;
Tasks and responsibilities
• Drives the field office staff and their official visitors on official trips
• Meets staff and official visitors at the airport and port; facilitates immigration and customs formalities, hotel check-in, and other local procedures;
• Logs official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, and expenditures related to transportation/vehicles, vehicle and boats servicing, and repairs;
• Handles local and organizational formalities when involved in an accident; ensures that in this case all organizational and national rules, regulations and procedures are followed correctly;
• Collects and delivers mail, documents, pouches, and other communications/items to and from the country office; airport, government agencies, other UN agencies, institutions, project sites, etc., to take and deliver items and communications and keeps records as required;
• Undertakes the routine maintenance and repair of vehicles and boats and mechanical equipment as necessary;
• Diagnoses vehicle & boats and equipment faults and repairs or reports for repairs as necessary;
• Accurately records all work done and parts used in the format provided by the Logistics Office in Juba;
• Specifically, carries out routine checks and preventative maintenance as per the manufacturer’s schedule;
• Perform other duties as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Completed secondary education certificate.
• Minimum three years of relevant experience as a driver and a crew experience in a UN or international organization is an advantage. Having a flawless, safe driving record is an asset.
• Minimum three years boat driving experience.
• A South Sudanese National.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results focus
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement
• Have hold a current STCW certificate.
• Ability to swim in Nile River comfortably.
• Ability to use the life jacket properly.
• Working knowledge of English (Level C), including written and spoken, Arabic and other local languages a strong asset
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.