WASH/Shelter Program Development Manager - Cameroon Buea
NRC in Cameroon
The humanitarian situation in Cameroon is compounded by three main crises. While the country has been relatively stable for many years, ongoing attacks by armed groups such as Boko Haram in the Far North, Lake Chad region; the Central African Republic (CAR) crisis affecting the East, Adamaoua and North regions; and the Anglophone crisis in the Southwest and Northwest regions have all drastically altered the country’s stability since 2013.
It is in this challenging context that the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has started operating in the Far North region in 2017 and in the North West and South West regions since August 2018 to provide life-saving assistance to vulnerable populations. In May 2019, NRC started operating in the East region with an ICLA project. In the Far North, NRC is implementing the following core competencies:
- Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA),
- Livelihoods and Food Security (LFS),
So far, WASH/Shelter is the dominant core competence that the NRC is implementing in the South West and North West region: scope for sector growth is projected for the year 2022.
About the position
The role of the Emergency WASH/Shelter Programme Development Manager (PDM) is to design, develop and implement projects within the core competences and to contribute to the development/evolution of the NRC Country Operations in Cameroon. The PDM role is to manage the WASH/Shelter team and ensure capacity building and transferring knowledge to the technical team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead the expansion of NRC’s WASH/Shelter activities in all the three regions of Country Operations’ presence
- Identify needs for vulnerable populations and provide appropriate assistance
- Identify and implement appropriate interventions in rural and urban contexts in coordination with other NRC programmes
- Contribute to promoting integrated programming with other Core Competencies(CC)– (ICLA, Livelihoods/Food Security, Education) and protection mainstreaming through systematic planning/cooperation with other CC PDMs
- Lead the efforts of the NRC Country Office in developing/promoting durable solutions for affected populations including through cooperation with other stakeholders (population/beneficiaries, authorities, civil society, UN Agencies, INGOs, donors, etc.)
- Be actively involved with the WASH/Shelter Cluster (national and area level)
- Dedicate time/effort through training/coaching/mentoring to develop the management capacity of the national staffs
- Establish or adapt and develop systems and tools for WASH/shelter implementation
- In coordination with the M&E, monitor and follow-up on quality of services provided by NRC in the field. Make recommendations for improvement. Ensure timely and quality monitoring reports of WASH/Shelter activities to ensure high technical quality and transparent processes
- Develop approaches and activities ensuring lasting behaviour change (aiming to increase durability of targeted positive hygiene behaviours).
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Senior Program Management level in a humanitarian/recovery context;
- Hands on experience in projects’ implementation in complex and volatile contexts;
- Technical WASH expertise;
- Fluency in English and French, both written and verbal;
- Good knowledge and understanding of the mainstream donors’ regulations;
- Knowledge of the context in Cameroon is an advantage;
- Demonstrated experience of community engagement and behaviour change programming;
- Strategic thinker, demonstrated experience with use of logframes and theory of changes.
For more details click here job description
What We Offer
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to join our work culture that empowers every employee to share ideas and take responsibility: At NRC we think outside the box. We encourage ideas and give responsibility to all employees at all levels, to help solve the complex issues that we face. You will have many opportunities to be heard and take the initiative
- 12 months fixed term contract renewable subject to funding and performance
- An opportunity to match your career to a compelling cause
- A chance to meet and work with people who are the best in their fields
Internal candidates are encouraged to apply but we are also open to external applicants who can show a commitment to NRC and being part of a challenging, but important mission to make a difference.
To apply as an internal candidate, click on the suitcase icon “I am an employee” on the top right of the page to be redirected to NRC’s internal career site
**Apply by completing all the system required fields of your experience in your application**