UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNV’s Management Services hold the responsibility for the strategic planning, managerial leadership, oversight and quality control of an integrated platform of operational services ensuring timely, effective and efficient delivery according to corporate performance standards and in compliance with the UN Regulations and Rules and UNDP’s accountability framework.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Budget and Cost Recovery Specialist, the Finance Associate provides leadership in the execution of financial services ensuring effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and integrity of financial services. The Finance Associate guides support staff of the Finance Unit and supervises temporary technical support staff as assigned by the supervisor. S/he works in close collaboration with UNV´s organizational units and teams both at HQ and in Regional Offices and the New York Office to resolve complex financial management and operational-related issues and for information delivery.
S/he promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP regulations and rules and contributes to enhancing financial and budget management performance across UNV through specialized technical support and thorough application of standard practices and approved policies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Administration and implementation of operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures
- Ensure full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and processes under IPSAS as well as applicable policies of financial activities and financial recording/reporting system. Follow-up on audit recommendations, implement effective internal controls, and proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system;
- Map UNV’s finance business processes and elaborate the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance and Budget in consultation with office management;
- Guide Regional Offices/Field Units on budget management and other best practices to ensure that project budget balance is diligently and timely monitored by all decentralised units;
- Provide analysis for proposals and implement cost savings and reduction strategies in consultation with office management
Administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system
- Prepare and modify budgets in ERP system for the various projects, follow up on authorized spending limits (ASL) for management projects;
- Prepare costing of all UNV unit work plans and support with data or advice on staffing, pro forma costs, allocations made and used, and other relevant information;
- Prepare regular reports to provide status and forecast of core, XB and other non-core funds, including income, expenditures and resource balances. Reports include ERP system/NextGenERP generated reports, as well as all reports in Power Bi, Unified Volunteer Platform (UVP) integrated, Oracle Transactional Business Intelligence (OTBI) and other platforms;
- Prepare and maintain year-on-year resource overview to enable preparation of EB and UNV annual reports;
- Monitor the online AWP inputs by all units/sections across UNV to facilitate annual budgeting exercise. Work closely with ICTU and ExO to develop and maintain AWP Power Bi report for further review and endorsement by Management;
- Implement the control mechanism for the various projects through monitoring budgets preparation and modifications, budgetary status versus ASL, review of requests for and release of authorized spending limits (ASLs) based on available resources and approval by fund manager. Maintain the General Ledger;
- Present thoroughly researched information for planning of financial resources; elaborate reports containing analysis of the financial situation and budget delivery status. Ensure that all corrections are processed on time;
- Timely prepare cost-recovery bills/General Ledger Journal Entries in ERP system for the services provided by UNV to Agencies, elaborate and implement the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery;
- Alternate to Programme Finance Associate on budget and resource management;
- Close operationally and financially management projects. Conduct annual inventory of on-going management projects and ensure timely closure.
Accounting and financial management
- Control supporting documents for payments, review of financial reports for various management projects;
- Perform manager level 1 functions in ERP system as required;
- Maintain internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ERP system; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed;
- Perform the role of Global Payroll Administration (GPA) for Bonn local payroll;
- Coordinate and review accounts closure. Prepare year-end working papers required by UNDP for various general ledger accounts as assigned by the Chief, FBS, and UNV funds to ensure balances properly reflect the value of underlying assets, liabilities or required reserves in compliance with IPSAS;
- Monitor management funds for unusual activities, liaise with requesting units and budget owners to resolve anomalies;
- Ensure that annual cost-recovery bills from UNDP are settled as per the corporate agreements related to oversight functions provided by UNDP BMS and other UNDP units;
- Interpret UNDP/UNV financial rules and procedures on the entire spectrum of financial management aspects;
- Organize staff training on financial management in coordination with UNV staff learning team;
- Synthesize lessons learnt and best practices in financial management;
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
- Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, regulations, and policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Ability to evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful manner
- Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets.
- Ability to identify and execute opportunities to improve operational efficiency
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Ability to efficiently handle and share information and knowledge
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance;
- University Degree in Finance, Business or Public Administration is desirable, but it is not a requirement;
- Part-qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage;
- UNDP Accountancy and Finance Test required.
- 7 years of relevant finance experience at the national or international level.
- Fluency in English;
- Proficiency in an additional official UN language is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Experience with ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft, desirable;
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS required;
- Knowledge of UN/UNDP financial rules and regulations is a major asset;
- Compliance with UNDP Financial and Accounting test is required.