Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations System efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women in Lebanon produces a range of knowledge product and studies on gender equality and women’s empowerment in Lebanon. The deadlines are spread over the year and include smaller knowledge products and programme briefs as well as research reports, assessment and analysis products. UN Women furthermore has a range of periodic reporting obligations to its headquarters as well as to multiple donors.
To ensure that the products are submitted on time and to a high standard, UN Women seeks the services of a consultant with extensive experience editing reports and studies in English. The consultant will be responsible to edit and copy-edit the knowledge and analysis product/ report and associated documents (e.g. cover letters, annexes), and to perform a final copy-edit upon receipt of updates and clarifications on the text from the relevant submitting office. The consultant will support the UN Women on a retainer basis during the year.
Objective of the Assignment:
The overall objective of the consultancy is to support UN Women in Lebanon to prepare high quality reports in a timely manner. The consultant will be directly supervised by the Planning and Coordination Analyst and will be provided with a list of reporting obligations on a quarterly basis.
UN Women knowledge and analysis products vary in their length and range between 2 to 100 pages. The UN Women Country Office will approach the consultant as early as possible to discuss the consultant’s available and needed days to complete the review of the report.
UN Women narrative reports (periodic donor reports on programme and annual reports) are prepared in accordance with corporate templates and are usually a maximum of 20 pages in length, including cover page, acronyms, table of contents, as well as relevant annexes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Edit, copyedit and proofread knowledge and analysis products produce by the UN Women country offices or partners and flag issues requiring further elaboration and or clarification by the relevant team.
- Edit, copyedit, and proofread draft country reports (including cover letter, annexes etc.) to be submitted to donors or to UN Women headquarters and others, and flag issues requiring further elaboration and or clarification by the relevant team.
- Ensure correctness of report language (i.e. use of grammatically correct language, spellings, politically appropriate language among others), tone and style, adhering to the UN Women style guide and results language.
- Submit finalized reports to the office within the indicated timeline.
High-quality reports of diverse objective and format, compliant with UN Women reporting guidelines (with an estimate of 3- 7 days review cycle to be set on a case-by-case basis).
- Respect for Diversity.
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues.
- Creative Problem Solving.
- Effective Communication.
- Inclusive Collaboration.
- Stakeholder Engagement.
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-andcompetencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Substantial knowledge of gender equality issues.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in written and oral
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Affairs/Development, Sociology, Public Administration, Journalism, Politics, Economics, Gender and Women’s Studies, or any other relevant field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive relevant professional work experience on proof reading and editing reports.
- Prior relevant work experience with UN Women or any other UN agency is an asset
- Knowledge and understanding of the social, cultural, and political context of the Arab Region, and women’s rights situation and work in the country is an asset.
- Computer skills, internet communication and command of MS Office
- Proficiency in oral and written English is a must including analytical writing skills
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology: Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for the financial evaluation.
Criteria Weight Technical: 70% (70 points)
- Criteria 1: Relevance of Education – 10 points.
- Criteria 2: Relevance of experience in conducting similar assignment – 30 points.
- Criteria 3: Quality of samples of reports provided- 30 points
Financial: Lowest Financial Proposal: 30% (30 points)
The points for the Financial Proposal will be allocated as per the following formula:
- Contract will be awarded to the technically qualified consultant who obtains the highest combined score (financial and technical).
- The points for the Financial Proposal will be allocated as per the following formula: (Lowest Bid Offered*)/ (Bid of the Consultant) x 30.
- 'Lowest Bid Offered' refers to the lowest price offered by Offerors scoring at least 49 points in the technical evaluation.
Interested Individual Consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- A cover letter with a brief presentation of your consultancy explaining your suitability for the work and link to portfolio of work.
- UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
- Financial proposal; Proposed inclusive daily rate.
The above-mentioned documents should be merged in a standalone file including all them, since the online application submission does only permit to upload one file per application. Incomplete submission can be a ground for disqualification.