Driver, Multiple positions
Multiple duty stations in Northern Mozambique
Background Information - Job-specific
Located in Nairobi, Kenya, the Kenya Multi Country Office (KEMCO) manages a growing portfolio of engagements, including associated strategic and operational risks. The KEMC/East and Southern Africa sub-region currently consists of an established Operation Centre in Nairobi/Kenya which manages a portfolio of engagements in multiple countries in East and Southern Africa. This includes transactional projects in partnership with the Nairobi based UN Agencies, UN-Habitat and UNEP, other UN partners, development banks and funds. The multi-country office also supports multiple ‘operational’ projects in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Eritrea. The Nairobi based Technical Services Unit provides UN/OPS and external partners infrastructure assessment, planning, design, feasibility and safeguards services.
The project ‘Mozambique Northern Crisis Recovery Project’ will be based in and around the City of Pemba in Cabo Delgado Province supporting the resettlement of IDPs from temporary settlement sites to 20 relocations sites. The project will support both IDPs and Host communities. The project comprises of 4 main objectives related to the
- Component 1: psychosocial social support and community peace building; and enhancing State-society trust and confidence.
- Component 2: provision of agriculture and fisheries inputs, cash for work programs for youth and women and the provision of kits for micro and small business development; and training on entrepreneurship and business management.
- Component 3: the restoration of basic services, small works for agriculture production, education and health infrastructure and the construction or rehabilitation of school and health infrastructure and community services and amenities in temporary and relocation sites and host communities.
- Component 4: strengthening of technical capacity of government authorities and local governments for conflict management. This component will also support project implementation, financial management, procurement, safeguards, reporting, and monitoring and evaluation.
The project will be implemented in collaboration with government authorities and will be guided by the various programme guidelines provided by the World bank- as the funding source.
The project team is expected to contain Programme management staff, Safeguards and Monitoring and Evaluation staff and infrastructure staff and will require significant stakeholder and partner coordination and management.
The project will be based in the city of Pemba, in Cabo Delgado, this position is expected to maintain regular travels to Niassa and Nampula provinces, as needed. The Hardship level of Pemba is 4.
The incumbent will also be required to establish full operations and UNOPS presence in the project location with the support of the Multi Country Office.
While UNOPS has an established presence in Mozambique, this new project requires establishment of operational presence in the North. This will require rapid onboarding and mobilization of technical and support personnel dedicated to this project. UNOPS will support the national Government PIU to deliver this project and ensure adequate support is provided to build sustainable capacity in relevant institutions
Under the guidance and supervision of the respective Administrative Associate, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to project team and visitors, ensuring highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Driver has a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of reliable and secure driving services
- Proper use of vehicle
- Day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Availability of documents/ supplies
- Immediate action in case of accident
1. Provides reliable and secure driving services by;
a) Driving vehicles safely for the transport of authorized personnel and, in the case of peacekeeping
missions, for the transport of cargo goods and/or hazardous goods vehicles;
b) Collecting and delivering mail, documents and other items; and
c) Meeting official personnel at the airport and facilitating immigration and customs formalities as required.
2. Ensures proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
3.Ensures the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle by checking oil, water, battery, brakes, tries, etc.; performing minor repairs and arranging for major repairs; and ensuring that the vehicle is kept clean.
4.Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
5.Ensures that immediate steps as required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
The key results have an impact on the accurate, safe and timely execution of the UNOPS services.
- Completion of secondary school or equivalent is required
- Drivers training with a valid driver’s license is required
- Two years’ work experience as a driver with a safe driving record is required
- Experience in minor vehicle maintenance skills is desired
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs is an asset
- Experience with an NGO or the United Nations is desirable
- First aid training is an asset
Fluency in English and Portuguese language is required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- This is a local post. As such, it is only open to Mozambican Nationals or persons with valid residence permits
- This position is based in a non family duty station
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 2
Contract duration:‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.