Consultant: INEE Minimum Standards update, antiracism and decolonization thematic review
Multiple locations (Multiple locations)
Background of the project
Over the last twenty years, the Inter-agency Network for Education in Emergencies (INEE) has solidified its role as the go-to network for Education in Emergencies (EiE) practitioners to co-create and source tools, resources and guidance on carrying out and improving the quality of education in crisis-affected contexts.The INEE Minimum Standards for Education: Preparedness, Response, Recovery (INEE MS) is the network’s foundational tool and a pinnacle example of our members’ collective impact. First published in 2004 and revised in 2010, they provide concrete guidance to ensure safe, relevant and quality education to all. The INEE MS represent the collaboration and consensus of thousands of EiE professionals and affected peoples from around the world.
The humanitarian-development landscape has shifted significantly in the past decade. To meet the priorities and needs of INEE members and all humanitarian actors, the EiE community is now embarking on updating the INEE MS.
Scope of Work:
INEE is seeking a consultant to feed into the MS update process by developing a framework of terminology, good practices and critiques to anti-racism and decolonization that can be used as a starting point to review the current edition of the INEE MS (2010) with an antiracism and decolonization lens. The consultant will conduct a review and mapping of references to, antiracism and decolonization in the INEE MS, identify gaps, and provide recommendations on how to mainstream mentioned topics across the INEE MS update process. The consultant work will also serve to provide references to more up-to-date, antiracism and decolonization guidance for the EiE sector. This feedback will be used to inform the update of the INEE MS with new evidence and good practice.
The consultant(s) will take into consideration the October 2020INEE Anti-Racism workshop report, material and Glossary of Terms.
The consultant(s) willwork collaboratively with the “Decolonising Education in Emergencies Consultancy, particularly in the literature review task
Develop a succinct overview, antiracism anddecolonization ofEiE:
- Provide support to the Decolonising Education in Emergencies consultant to develop a succinct overview of current approaches, critiques and good practice related to decolonising the EiE sector, based on desk review and consultations. This resource will serve as a primer on the topic for INEE members and will support the review of the INEE Minimum Standards.
- Based on the desk review and consultations, develop a framework/rubric through which to review the INEE Minimum Standards handbook
- Develop a report that highlights key findings of the succinct overview and includes reflections on different approaches, positions, good practices and critiques of antiracism and decolonization EiE, in addition to developing definitions of anti-racism and decolonization related to EiE for the INEE glossary.
Use the framework/rubric on antiracism and decolonization as the framework to do a review of the INEE Minimum Standards.
- Map where antiracism and decolonization are currently referenced in the INEE Minimum Standards.
- Identify gaps in reference to addressing, antiracism and decolonization in the INEE Minimum Standards.
- Develop a succinct report highlighting key antiracism and decolonization gaps in the INEE Minimum Standards and provide recommendations on new antiracism and decolonization content. (This should clearly reference chapters & sections of the existing Handbook, so it is easy to follow when the overall INEE MS update takes place.)
- Develop a list of recommended stakeholders for future, antiracism and decolonization consultation during the Minimum Standards update.
Provide a work plan + sequence for the work, taking into account Secretariat workflows & processes (minimum 2 weeks for review on Secretariat side).
Provide regular communications on progress with the INEE team.
Manage time effectively; take initiative to discuss roadblocks with the INEE Secretariat and keep informed of progress.
INEE Anti-Racism and decolonization Working Group will provide guidance for the consultancy process.
- Work Plan and Timeline
- Annotated review of the INEE Minimum Standards (2010), ready for utilization during the INEE MS Update process.
- Report highlighting key gaps in antiracism and decolonization in the INEE MS and recommendations for the INEE MS Update.
- List of recommended stakeholders for the INEE MS Update consultations.