ASSOCIATE RESEARCH SCIENTIST
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an African-led and Africa-based international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
The APHRC seeks to recruit an Associate Research Scientist to work on Education and Youth Empowerment related research. The Associate Research Scientist will be based at the West Africa Regional Office (WARO) in Senegal.
- Lead the management and implementation of the research projects in the Education and Youth Empowerment (EYE) Unit;
- Define own area of research interest through developing proposals, concept notes and publishing in the area;
- Lead in policy engagement with state and non-state actors in in sub-Saharan Africa;
- Initiate and lead research proposals in the program and manage relevant budgets;
- Supervise and mentor junior staff including postdoctoral researchers and research officers;
- Lead the development of study protocols and tools and ensure ethical approvals and research permits are obtained;
- Oversee fieldwork in the execution of the research projects to ensure timely implementation of field activities, and quality of data;
- Actively engage in scientific publications and other dissemination resources such as peer-reviewed articles, technical reports, donor reports, briefing papers and blogs;
- Contribute to the implementation of APHRC and EYE Unit strategic plan;
- Contribute to cultivation of relations with key institutions and funders; and
- Represent the Center at high level national, regional and international forums, including relevant technical working groups and expert committees.
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in Educational Psychology, Sociology of Education, Education Administration, Education Management, Economics of Education, Comparative Education, Special Education, Policy Studies, Gender Studies with a focus on education or any other related discipline.
- Have 3-5 years’ of relevant post-doctoral experience.
- Experience working in a research institution, conducting research, leading research programs or managing research projects.
- Strong writing skills and good record of publications which utilize defined analytical methodologies.
- Experience in developing proposals. Evidence of previous successful grants will be an advantage.
- Strong in either quantitative or qualitative analytical skills with a good working knowledge of the other.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team.
- Experience working in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Must be fluent in French and a working knowledge of English.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application in English and include:
- A letter of application
- A detailed CV
- Statement of research interest and goals (1-2 pages)
via our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/ by October 18, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
Immeuble Diallo Lô, 5e étage Lot 325-327 CICES VDN, Dakar Sénégal
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons