Call for Technical Experts to assist the independent TAP in the review of Fundiing Proposals 1
Home Based - May require travel | kr
1. The Green Climate Fund (“the GCF”) is a multilateral fund created to make a significant and ambitious contribution to the global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community, including the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), to combat climate change.
2. The GCF aims to promote the paradigm shift towards low-emission and climate-resilient development pathways by providing support to developing countries to limit or reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and to adapt to the impacts of climate change, taking into account the needs of those developing countries particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change.
3. The GCF is governed by a Board, composed of an equal number of members from developed and developing countries. The GCF is operated by an independent Secretariat headed by an Executive Director and pursues a country-driven approach in its operations. The independent Technical Advisory Panel ("the Panel") officially reports to the Board through the Investment Committee and conducts independent technical assessments of Funding Proposals against the GCF's investment criteria.
4. The GCF is establishing a roster of Technical Experts who will assist the Panel in the due diligence and assessment of proposals for projects and programmes for funding. The GCF welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates.
II. Minimum required qualifications and key fields of competencies
5. The Technical Experts will provide timely and appropriate advice, suggestions and recommendations on technical matters as specified by the Panel, with the aim to enhance the technical assessments of funding proposals by the Panel and expand the Panel's technical coverage. The Technical Experts will draw from subject matter knowledge and experiences in projects in the relevant areas, such as those from international financial institutions, UN agencies, and multilateral development banks and organizations. The Technical Experts will be accountable to the Panel and the Investment Committee, with contractual arrangements through the Secretariat.
6. Under the guidance of the member of the Panel requiring the consulting, the Technical Expert will be responsible for, but not limited to:
• Providing timely written assessments and subject matter reviews on specific technical matters in the Funding Proposal related to her/his field of expertise, within the scope and timeline of the assignment requested by the member of the Panel, and any further explanations or clarifications required;
• Providing written suggestions or recommendations to enhance the Panel's technical assessments on basis of best practices in the corresponding field, experience in the relevant local and regional context, and citations of relevant scientific and technical publications;
• Participating virtually in the relevant Panel meetings if requested by the Panel;
• Participating, if requested by the Panel, in phone conversations along with accredited entities and relevant stakeholders to discuss aspects of the project or programme being reviewed.
7. Individuals interested to serve as technical experts should have an advanced degree or equivalent in the wider field of environmental sciences (including biology, ecology, hydrology, geology and soil sciences, atmospheric science, oceanology, and similar), environmental engineering, environmental health, infrastructure design, energy generation, agriculture/forestry/ fisheries/natural resources, disaster risk reduction, climate-induced insurance, land use, urban planning, environmental law, environmental economics, policy development, or anthropology;
8. Applicants should also have a minimum 15 years of experience in the relevant field of expertise, including in the design and implementation, assessment, and monitoring projects and programmes, and/or in research at a world-class research institution. The Fund is particularly keen to receive applications from candidates with:
o Wide technical expertise, operational experience and good understanding of the applied technologies related to the GCF’s result areas:
i. Reduced emissions from:
• Energy access and power generation
• Low emission transport
• Buildings, cities, industries and appliances
• Forests and land use
ii. Increased resilience of:
• Livelihoods of people, communities and regions
• Health and well-being, and food and water security
• Infrastructure and the built environment
• Ecosystems and ecosystem services;
o Deep knowledge of UNFCCC requirements for REDD+ / experience in developing, implementing and assessing REDD+ investments according to UNFCCC requirements and other relevant frameworks for REDD+;
o Experience in evaluating project economic effectiveness and efficiency by assessing costs and budgets of project components;
o Experience in developing gender assessments and action plans for development/climate change projects;
o UNFCCC-related experience, including IPCC assessments, carbon accounting, and carbon markets.
• Demonstrated capacity to provide concise, to-the-point, and thorough reports of assessments, recommendations, or technical due diligence or performance reviews;
• Previous experience working as a consultant, working remotely, for an international organization or firm;
• Demonstrated teamwork (ability to work with others to achieve more effective results), leadership (applying interpersonal influence to inspire others to move in a meaningful direction with competence and commitment), and conceptualization (developing viable solutions based on an understanding of institutional perspective and needs) skills;
III. Application and selection procedure
9. Interested individuals should submit their expression of interest by providing a full documented CV and a cover letter specifying their technical specialties, based on their skills and experience, from those listed in paragraph 6 above.
10. The file containing the curriculum vitae should be named “CV [FAMILY NAME]” (e.g. CV SMITH), and similarly, the file containing the cover letter should be named “Cover letter [FAMILY NAME]” with subject line: “Technical Consultant Roster”
11. The experts will be selected through an open, transparent, and competitive process based on the criteria above and the annexed terms of reference.
12. Please indicate your earliest availability to take up the assignment.
This is an open recruitment and hiring will continue on an ongoing basis.