Casework Officer (National Position)
The IRC has a rich history of assisting refugees to apply for United States resettlement, from its founding in 1933 to help vulnerable individuals escape Nazi-occupied Europe, to pioneering the Joint Voluntary Agency which assisted Indochinese refugees for 22 years, to operations in Croatia, Sierra Leone and Sudan. Since 2005, RSC Asia has resettled over 180,000 refugees to the United States.
Based in Bangkok with field offices in Thailand and Malaysia, the IRC Resettlement Support Center (RSC Asia) is funded by the US State Department Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM) to assist persons throughout Asia seeking permanent resettlement to the United States. Responsible for a portfolio of 37 countries, the RSC: prepares refugee applications for the United States Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) using START (a State Department–managed data system that supports the arrival and resettlement of refugees through technology); provides information to resettlement agencies about arriving refugees; and offers cultural orientation training to refugees bound for the United States.
This position is primarily responsible for assisting eligible refugee applicants prepare the best possible case file for adjudication by an officer of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS. The Casework Officer prepares case files on behalf of refugee applicants to the USRAP including data entry of refugee case information into START, and physical file preparation. Casework Officers achieve and maintain a high- performance standard based on a thorough knowledge of, and adherence to, established resettlement policies and procedures regarding current refugee processing eligibility criteria, database, and file management guidelines, the role of US Resettlement Agencies and refugee producing country conditions.
• Learn and implement established IRC Resettlement Support Centre (RSC Asia), Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM), United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and Refugee Processing Centre (RPC) policies and procedures.
• Conduct prescreening interviews and case updates of refugee applicants in a manner that demonstrates an understanding of the US Resettlement Program and background information relevant to specific caseloads
• Provide support to USCIS Circuit Rides, including roll call, case composition updates, file review, decision letter preparation and distribution.
• Implement complete quality control of documentations and ensure all required documents are available both in START and the physical file before returning for file storage
• Keep immediate supervisor informed of developments in daily caseloads, including any urgent protection or medical conditions of applicants and their families
• Perform work in adherence to policy and procedure
• Perform timely advanced casework on special caseloads in a manner that demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of USRAP policies and practices
• Travel independently to regional locations outside and within Thailand to conduct prescreening interviews and provide USCIS support.
• Responds to case-specific inquiries from other RSC staff
• Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Casework Manager or Senior Casework Manager
Position directly supervises: None
Indirect Reporting: N/A
Other Internal and/or external contacts
Internal: IRC Thailand Staff
External: UNHCR, IOM, Other