Istanbul Regional Hub (IRH) is UNDP’s main knowledge and advisory hub for the Europe and CIS Region (ECIS). It aims to connect the region to a global network of development experts, to build knowledge and capacity, and to forge partnerships to meet the development challenges of a large and diverse region. IRH also aims to capture and spread development successes and best practices in the region and to improve the impact of UNDP’s work through effective communications and advocacy.
We are also exploring innovative solutions for labour market integration of the most vulnerable e.g. migrant returnees, people with disabilities, Roma, rural women experiencing multiple forms of discrimination, low-skilled and long-term unemployed etc. In our analytical, advisory and programming work, we are actively cultivating partnerships to explore new ways of ensuring more inclusive growth patterns, while fully respecting the principle of “leaving no-one behind”.
UNDP IRH is implementing a sub-regional Project “Strengthen national and local systems to support the effective socio-economic integration of returnees in the Western Balkans”. The Project is part of the IPA II Multi-Country Action “EU support to Fundamental Rights of Roma Community and Reintegration of Returnees”, which has been entrusted for implementation to UNDP, the World Bank and the Council of Europe and targets Albania, North Macedonia and Serbia.
The project promotes holistic solutions in addressing the multi-dimenional vulnerabilities of the returnees and their family members, by addressing the systemic gaps and institutional bottlenecks for effective governance of the process of returnees’ integration. Bearing in mind that Roma constitute a large proportion of irregular migrants, results of the project will contribute to the implementation of the broader Roma inclusion agenda.
In each country, the project will support establishment of local reintegration platforms in 3 municipalities, with a purpose of mobilizing public service providers, business community and civil society in co-designing and implementation of local strategies for reintegration of returnees.
Against this backdrop UNDP intends to hire a Communications Specialist to support the implementation of the Project’s Communication and Visibility Plan. The main objective of the communication activities will be to promote the results of this EU-UNDP partnership, as well as to raise awareness among policy makers and local stakeholder of the multi-dimensional vulnerabilities that returnees are experiencing, thus mobilize society-wide action in addressing the issues.
The consultant will work under direct supervision by the Regional Project Manager, based in Istanbul. He/she will closely collaborate with the National Project Teams in Albania, North Macedonia and Serbia.
Duties and Responsibilities
The objective of the assignment is to support the implementation of the Communications and Visibility Plan of the Strengthen national and local systems to support the effective socio-economic integration of returnees in the Western Balkans Project, which sets up the overall framework of communication activities to ensuring effective public outreach, strategic communication and visibility.
The main duties of the Communications Specialist include
- Elaborate the Project’s Communications and Visibility plan to ensure greater visibility and public understanding of the projects’ goals and results;
- Produce public relations materials for internal and external promotion of the project, and assist with planning and publicizing;
- Support organization of public events on regional and national level in order to achieve better Programme understanding, recognition and visibility;
- Use traditional media and social networks to share information about the project and the support it offers to weathering socio-economic distress of vulnerable returnees;
- Manage and feed the UNDP websites content with news, innovative topics and useful content;
- Manage and feed Organization’s social media platforms with content and news-worthy topics;
- Support and coordinate the creation of promotional videos (documentary or testimonials) filming successful stories on project beneficiaries in different venue, while organizing the entire production process (preparation, production and post production);
- Prepare human stories featuring project beneficiaries and how the project has impacted their lives and testimonials from the business sector and civil society representatives and local government authorities and public service providers to share experience from the Project at national and regional events;
Key Results Expected:
- Deliverables and Timeline
The consultant is expected to produce the following deliverables.
Elaborated communication and visibility plan, in line with EU standards, contextualized to the needs of UNDP Istanbul Regional Hub and Country offices in Albania, North Macedonia and Serbia
31 November 2021
9 facts sheets, infographics, brochures, one per beneficiary municipality prepared for print and online publishing
Executive summary, PPT and visual presentation of the Annual Progress Report
28 February 2022
27 testimonials collected from public, private or civil society collected from 9 beneficiary municipalities
30 April 2022
Developed 3 audio-visual products i.e. one per participating country offices
31 May 2022
3 success stories from the project completed and published on social media and UNDP websites
30 June 2022
Background documents and communications products for regional the conference on Roma Returnees integration practices
30 September 2022
3 blog posts (one per country) and 1 op-ed
31 October 2022
All communication products will need to be prepared in English language and in coordination with National Project Teams translated in the respective local languages. The consultant should provide sufficient lead time for reviewing and endorsement of the communications product, which shall not exceed 7 working days.
Payment schedule will be arranged in line with the submission of each deliverable.
? Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
? Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
? Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
? Fulfils all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment
? Client Orientation: Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
? Teamwork: Participates in teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills
? Relationship Building: Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors
? Stress Management: Remains calm, in control even under pressure
? Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
? Development and Operational Effectiveness: Ability to participate in communications planning and its implementation
? Judgment/Decision Making: identifies key issues in a complex situation and proposes course of action for overcoming of the issues
? Experience in communication or public relations for projects of similar scope;
? Experience in developing and implementing communication plans.
Required Skills and Experience
- B.A. degree in journalism, communications or social or economic sciences;
- Master’s degree is a strong asset.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional expertise in journalism, planning and implementing communications plans and management of social media platforms,
- Proven experience in web publishing and maintenance: Evidence of at least 3 co-authored products is required to be submitted.
- Proven experience in use of creative and effective communication tools; E.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram,
- Experience in liaising and co-operating with media journalists, government officials, NGOs and private sector.
• Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills in English language
- Knowledge of languages spoken in the Western Balkans shall be considered an asset.
Payments will be made only upon confirmation of UNDP on delivering on the contract obligations in a satisfactory manner.
Individual Consultants are responsible for ensuring they have vaccinations/inoculations when travelling to certain countries, as designated by the UN Medical Director. Consultants are also required to comply with the UN security directives set forth under dss.un.org
General Terms and conditions as well as other related documents can be found under: http://on.undp.org/t7fJs.
Evaluation of Applicants:
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on a cumulative analysis taking into consideration the combination of the applicants’ qualifications and financial proposal.The award of the contract should be made to the individual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as:
- responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
- Having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
Technical Criteria - 70% of total evaluation – max. 70 points:
- Criteria A (Relevance of education) – max points: 5;
- Criteria B (Relevance of work experience in preparing and implementing communications products, use of social media tools) – max points: 15;
- Criteria C (Relevance of experience in supporting communications activities in EU funded projects) – max points: 10;
- Criteria D (Language)– max points: 10;
- Knowledge of English will be counted maximum 7 points.
- Knowledge of each of the Western Balkan languages spoken in Albania, North Macedonia and Serbia will be counted 1 additional point.
- Criteria E (co-authored communication products, written articles, blogs: Minimum threshold is the submission of at least 3 co-authored sample products. Quality and complexity of the products will be measured in the assessment) - max points: 10;
- 3-5 sample products: 5 points
- 6-8 sample products: 7 points
- 8-10 sample products: 10 points
- Criteria F (Interview – assessing technical knowledge, motivation and communication skills) – max points: 20.
Financial Criteria - 30% of total evaluation – max. 30 pointsOnly those candidates who will obtain min. 70% of points will be invited for the final stage of the technical evaluation (interview) and financial proposal evaluation.
Qualified candidates are requested to apply online via this website. The application should contain:
- Cover letter explaining why you are the most suitable candidate for the advertised position, together with samples of minimum 3 (co)-authored communication products i.e. a web-page, video, a blog, social media campaign;
- Filled P11 form including past experience in similar projects and contact details of referees (blank form can be downloaded from http://www.eurasia.undp.org/content/dam/rbec/docs/P11_modified_for_SCs_and_ICs.doc); please upload the P11 instead of your CV;
- Financial Proposal* in USD - consisting of a) total all-inclusive lump sum amount for professional fee for tasks specified in this announcement b) travel costs to/from duty station (if any). Price offer must not include costs related to official missions. Missions will be paid separately as per UNDP rules and regulations;
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials.
*Please note that the financial proposal is all-inclusive and shall take into account various expenses incurred by the consultant/contractor during the contract period (e.g. fee, health insurance, vaccination, personal security needs and any other relevant expenses related to the performance of services...).Payments will be made only upon confirmation of UNDP on delivering on the contract obligations in a satisfactory manner. Individual Consultants are responsible for ensuring they have vaccinations/inoculations when travelling to certain countries, as designated by the UN Medical Director. Consultants are also required to comply with the UN security directives set forth under dss.un.org
General Terms and conditions and related documents can be found under: http://on.undp.org/t7fJsQualified women and members of minorities are encouraged to apply.Due to large number of applications we receive, we are able to inform only the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.