Consultancy - Local Capacity Assessment Support Consultant
The Central Bank of Somaliland or Bank of Somaliland (hereinafter the “the Bank”) was established in 1994 with the mandate of ensuring financial stability and oversight of financial institutions in Somaliland. While significant progress has been made on establishing a sound legal and regulatory framework, however, the Bank continues to face capacity limitations that impede its ability to provide the necessary support and supervisory functions. One particular area of weakness is the Bank’s ability to combat money laundering and terrorist financing. Somaliland’s Anti-Money Laundering Law No. 87/2019, approved in December 2019, formally established a Financial Intelligence Unit that is an independent department within the Bank responsible for receiving, requesting, analyzing, and appropriately disseminating information concerning money laundering and terrorist financing.
To develop the Banks’ capacity to combat money laundering and terrorist financing, a systematic capacity assessment is necessary to identify critical capacity gaps and propose strategic and tailored capacity development strategies. In this regard, IDLO is seeking to recruit a Local Capacity Assessment Support Consultant (hereinafter referred to as the “Local Consultant”) on a 30-day open contract to support the lead International Institutional Capacity Assessment Consultant that will undertake the assessment for the Bank.
Scope of work
The duties and responsibilities of the Local Consultant will be:
- Assisting the lead International Institutional Capacity Assessment Expert in undertaking the institutional capacity assessment for the Bank;
- Provide effective logistical and administrative support to IDLO Somalia during the assessment;
- Organizing and co-facilitating workshops with relevant stakeholders including the provision of translation services; and
- Facilitating discussions and meetings with the Bank as well as relevant stakeholders; and
- Providing other technical and administrative assistance required by IDLO and by the lead International Institutional Capacity Assessment Expert.
The Local Consultant is required to have the following educational background as well as professional and technical qualifications:
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Economics, Finance, Accounting, Law or related field;
- Minimum 3-6 years of professional experience in a relevant field such as Banking, Research, or related areas;
- Experience in providing administrative and logistical assistance for local and international forums and in using web-based platforms;
- Experience with international development partners, private sector, and Government
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to develop excellent relations with Somali counterparts and donor officials; and
- Fluency in written and spoken Somali and English.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in Somaliland with the correct visa/work permit status.
Applications will be screened on regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline. In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
DISCLAIMER AND CLOSING DATE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Contractor assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline: 27 October 2021 (23:59hrs Rome Time).