Communication Associate (Digital Media) Fixed-term, (GS6), Tbilisi, Georgia #115070
Communication Associate (Digital Media) (GS6), Tbilisi, Georgia #115070
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, education
Strategic Office Context and purpose for the job
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Strategic office context :
UNICEF Strategic Plan, 2018–2021 outlines eight Change Strategies for achieving UNICEF goals: 1) programming excellence at scale; 2) gender-responsive programming; 3) winning support for the cause of children from decision makers and the wider public; 4) developing and leveraging resources and partnerships; 5) leveraging the power of business and markets; 6) United Nations organizations working together; 7) fostering innovation; and 8) using the power of evidence.
With change Strategy 3, for the first time, UNICEF identifies communication and advocacy as essential for achieving programmatic goals. The next programme of cooperation 2021-2025 will use communication and advocacy to win support for the cause of children from decision-makers and wider public, place the rights and well-being of the most vulnerable children of Georgia at the heart of the social, political and economic agendas, and foster greater social engagement for children. UNICEF will become stronger voice, advocacy, campaigning, fundraising and communications force for children, engaging partners to build alliances and movements for change. UNICEF communication and advocacy will reach more people with evidence-based messages, stimulating both a national debate on child rights and engaging partners in supporting and taking specific actions for children. UNICEF will engage young people as advocates and campaigners and ensure their voices are an integral part of our communications and advocacy.
Communication Associate (Digital Media) will contribute to the implementation of the UNICEF Communication and Advocacy strategy.
Purpose for the job:
Assists in planning, designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating digital communication initiatives to support the advocacy and communication strategy, including in management of social and digital media platforms. The purpose is to get children’s and women’s issues into the public domain, strengthen political will in support of UNICEF's mission and objectives in the country, and enhance the organization’s credibility and brand.
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks:
- Web management: Manage UNICEF Georgia’s web platform through web-based content management system (drupal) on a daily basis; Plan and gather editorial content for the website to support country office communication strategy, regional and global campaigns and priorities.
- Social Media: Develop and manage social media accounts of UNICEF Georgia on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and any other emerging platform, in line with the purpose of the position. Create visual content for social media platforms – posters, factographs, photo-stories. Develop networks with social media influencers to position children’s issues and UNICEF at the centre of social media discourse in the country.
- Monitoring and evaluation: Timely monitoring and evaluation of activities of social media platforms, website traffic and trends are undertaken according to the expected goals to ensure quality, effectiveness and relevance of UNICEF Georgia’s digital communication efforts.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES and DUTIES & TASKS
- Web management
Manage UNICEF Georgia’s web platform through web-based content management system (drupal) on a daily basis; Plan and gather editorial content for the website to support country office communication strategy, regional and global campaigns and priorities.
Duties & Tasks
- Development of the UNICEF Georgia’s online strategy and website content plan as per country office’s communication strategy, priorities and workplans.
- Collect relevant information related to programme priorities, activities and results to develop content for posting on digital and social media.
- Manage office website through web-based content management system (drupal) on a daily basis.
- Maintain a web and social media calendar of content themes and all upcoming coverage schedules according to the calendar.
Develop and manage social media accounts of UNICEF Georgia on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and any other emerging platform, in line with the purpose of the position. Create visual content for social media platforms – posters, factographs, photo-stories. Develop networks with social media influencers to position children’s issues and UNICEF at the centre of social media discourse in the country
Duties & Tasks
- Maintain all social media accounts of UNICEF Georgia with compelling content, to ensure that reach and engagement is continuously enhanced.
- In line with the evolving world of social media, keep abreast with new developments. Advise where relevant, about the need to engage with emerging social media platforms.
- Maintain and update list of social media influencers, bloggers and advocates who can be engaged to amplify UNICEF’s messages. Assist in developing and maintaining close relationships with these influencers.
- Maintain a library of pictures, infographics, videos etc in an easy to find and use manner.
- Ensure digital content is uploaded to the global platforms through weshare and other sharing mechanisms.
- Conduct trainings and provide support to other sections in understanding better how digital and social media plays a role in the context of the office.
- Prepare social media packs and materials for briefings and visits of high-level dignitaries, donors and other special interest groups. The task includes preparing social media kits with messages and assisting in the planning and implementing arrangements.
- Monitoring and evaluation
Timely monitoring and evaluation of activities of social media platforms, website traffic and trends are undertaken according to the expected goals to ensure quality, effectiveness and relevance of UNICEF Georgia’s digital communication efforts. Monthly reports or the thematic ones pertaining to specific campaigns developed.
Duties & Tasks
- Generate and analyse reports on web traffic using Google Analytics and other social media focused analytics channels.
- Collecting data and information on key indicators that are relevant to digital communication of UNICEF Georgia.
- Monitor and evaluate the reach and engagement of UNICEF’s social media posts and website visitors. Monitor and evaluate the use and effectiveness of media materials. Recommend appropriate and timely action for course correction or for reporting. Maintain a library of coverage (clippings, coverage etc.)
- Monitor the public perception of UNICEF on social media and online platforms and recommend appropriate action to maintain a positive image for the organization.
- Assist in providing inputs/feedback to RO/DOC on the use and appropriateness of global communication materials such as campaign assets, publications, images and multimedia products. Creating reports on reach and engagement of digital media for.
- RO/DOC, as requested.
- Ensure good quality data collection, analysis and evaluation and reporting to ensure effective digital communication strategies, planning and effective and efficient advocacy.
- Undertake lessons learned review of successful and unsuccessful social media and online communication experiences as directed by supervisor.
- Undertake media monitoring to provide quantitative and qualitative analysis of the media content.
- Monitor and analyze stories and conversations that relate to UNICEF, its work and its reputation
Impact of Results
The efficient and effective digital engagement support provided to the development and implementation of the Strategic and Integrated Communication and Advocacy strategy directly impact on the ability of UNICEF to win support for the cause of children from decision-makers and wider public, place the rights and well-being of the most vulnerable children of Georgia at the heart of the social, political and economic agendas, and foster greater social engagement for children. This in turn contributes to enhancing the ability of UNICEF to fulfill its mission to achieve sustainable, locally-owned and concrete results in improving the survival, development and wellbeing of children in the country.
Competencies and level of proficiency required
Core Values attributes
Core competencies skills
Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
Works Collaboratively with others (1)
Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
Relating and Networking [ I ]
Persuading and Influencing [ I ]
Applying Technical Expertise [ I ]
Learning and Researching [ II ]
Planning and Organizing [ II ]
Common Technical Knowledge Required
General knowledge of:
- Social media practices and trends.
- Fundamentals of managing websites.
- Organization of special events.
- Gender equality and diversity awareness
Education: Completion of secondary education is required, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, marketing and related field.
Experience: Six-year practical professional work experience in communication, managing web platforms, social media.
Experience in content generation for social media and websites is critical. Background/familiarity with content management system for website is also required. Knowledge of Drupal will be crucial.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English and Georgian languages.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.