New York City (United States of America)
Location: Global, Remote
GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by providing cash grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of it on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing cash transfers as a benchmark for foreign aid – as the index fund is a benchmark for the financial industry – and in the process accelerating the end of extreme poverty.
GD has raised over $700M since launching in 2011, delivered cash to more than 1 million people, and launched offices in 10 countries. We’ve also supported large-scale, experimental research that indicates strong recipient impact of our programs. As a result, GD has been celebrated as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company, while the growing cash transfer movement (and GD’s leading role within it) have been featured in the New York Times Magazine, This American Life, Foreign Affairs, and The Economist.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
About this role
We’re looking for an exceptional VP of Growth to lead the biggest revenue vertical for the fastest growing nonprofit of the century. As VP, you’ll define the roadmap for maximizing the cash we raise and deliver to recipients, building on the 6x fundraising growth we’ve seen since 2019. You’ll work directly with High Net Worth donors, Nobel Peace Prize winners, and other well-known public figures, using a rigorous, research-backed method to accelerate our efforts to end poverty worldwide. Above all, you’ll be driven by a deep dedication to shifting the status quo in the philanthropy space by putting aid budgets directly in the hands of recipients.
Reports to: Managing Director
Sales and Revenue
- Drive $180M in revenue from individual donors, up from $150M this past year (15-20% growth YOY)
- Build and own relationships with high net wealth donors, corporate, and NGO partnerships, and maintain those relationships with targeted touchpoints
Donor Strategy and Analytics
- Systemize and deliver detailed donor funnel, while building out donor acquisition and retention strategies. Acquisition will be primarily organic channels but will cast a wide net (ie press, content driven, social, paid channels)
- Coordinate across teams to execute donor journey
Communications, Marketing, and PR
- Work across teams to collect recipient stories to share out and highlight with donors
- Launch high profile campaign, creating new ways to promote the GiveDirectly brand via the likes of social media, email marketing, and in-person events
Core competencies and experiences
- Experience leading, growing, and adapting in high-growth, high-impact environments
- Exceptional relationship management: you’re excited to build a network in the cash space, both via establishing new relationships for GD and strengthening existing ones
- Strong, succinct communications: Skilled in speaking, writing, presenting, and negotiating across multiple stakeholders
- Analytical problem solver: Looks at problems w/ analytical and iterative mindset, with strong framework for prioritization
- Passion for putting structure and process to ambiguous problems
- Exceptional alignment with GiveDirectly Values
- Active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
- A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
- A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
- A competitive salary
- A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums
- Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
- Desk allowance and flexible work location
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**