Legal Intern, Office of the General Counsel
the INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
IDLO internship programs are designed to provide a mutually beneficial relationship between IDLO and university students, young graduates, post-graduate students, or persons similarly situated (collectively referred to as Interns). IDLO offers interns an exceptional learning experience in an international organization and increases their awareness and knowledge of legal issues in the development arena. Internships also benefit IDLO by allowing participants to contribute their skills and competencies to the realization of IDLO’s strategic goals and mission. Interns are fully involved in the work program of the Unit or Department that has selected them to carry out assignments relevant to their studies and experiences under the supervision of IDLO staff.
IDLO provides all full-time interns with a monthly stipend of €600. Internships are offered for 3 months and are renewable up to a maximum of 6 months. Full-time placements (5 days a week) are strongly preferred. Applicants available for less than 3 days a week will not be considered.
Applicants living outside of Italy are responsible for obtaining any necessary visas. Due to the current health emergency, the possibility of a remote internship might be taken into consideration, if required by circumstances.
THE LEGAL INTERNSHIP
The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) is a dynamic generalist legal practice with the overarching aim to advance and protect the legal interests of IDLO, while mitigating risk, fostering accountability, and helping to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the Organization and its governing bodies. OGC is responsible for providing legal advice to the Director-General of IDLO, the Senior Leadership Team, the IDLO Governance bodies, and IDLO employees at its Rome headquarters as well as its branch and field offices. OGC provides advice on matters including the negotiation and conclusion of host country agreements, privileges and immunities, contracts, grants, and other agreements. OGC oversees local counsel in more than a dozen field locations and provides guidance on HR matters and disputes, including the negotiation, settlement, arbitration, and litigation of disputes. OGC also drafts, reviews, implements, and promotes adherence to IDLO policies, regulations, rules, and practices as well as the revision, implementation of and adherence to IDLO's governance documents.
Under the direct supervision of the General Counsel and OGC lawyers, the legal intern will be asked to support the Office with the following duties:
- Provide research assistance on questions of domestic and international law including interpretation of IDLO’s privileges and immunities, human resources matters, internal governance and other areas relating to the functions, structure, and activities of IDLO;
- Assist in drafting or revising organizational governance documents, reports, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Assist in drafting, reviewing, and/or amending contracts for goods and services, Memoranda of Understanding, and other agreements relating to IDLO programs and activities;
- Assist in the interpretation and application of IDLO’s employee regulations and rules, the Code of Conduct, and other IDLO policies and procedures;
- Assist in monitoring compliance with IDLO’s regulations, policies, and procedures Organization-wide;
- Fulfil any administrative and/or substantive requirements of the intern’s educational institution and/or fellowship program;
- Perform any other similar duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Ideal Candidate Profile
Educational qualifications (mandatory)
- Graduate or undergraduate level degree in law or current enrollment in graduate level/advanced legal studies.
Work experience (desirable)
- Experience working in a legal capacity in an international organization or law firm is highly desirable.
- Experience working in an international environment is highly desirable.
- Experience with and/or understanding of international law, contract law, and/or international organizations is desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required. Any additional language proficiency, particularly in French, Spanish, or Italian, would be an advantage.
- Good team player, highly motivated, strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude, flexible mind, comfortable working in multi-cultural settings;
- Demonstrated ability to work proactively and independently, including as part of a small team; and
- Ability to produce well drafted and analysed work product in a timely manner, exercise sound judgment, and manage and prioritize multiple assignments.
How to apply
A position is currently available for summer 2022 (start and end dates are flexible, but the internship is generally expected to last from May through July). All interested applicants are encouraged to apply via our website and are asked to submit a resume, cover letter, and list of references. Applicants may also, optionally, provide academic transcripts or letters of recommendation. All resumes should be in English.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome and encourage applications from individuals with diverse backgrounds. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications are due no later than January 31st. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible for best consideration.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the intern assigned to this work. This may not be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature, or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.