Product Assurance and Safety Manager in the Telecommunications Satellite Programmes Department
Vacancy in the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We therefore welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics. Applications from women are encouraged.
This post is classified A2-A4 on the Coordinated Organisations’ salary scale.
ESTEC, Noordwijk, Netherlands
You will be assigned as integrated support from the Product Assurance and Safety Department, Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality to the Telecommunications Satellite Programmes Department in the Directorate of Telecommunications and Integrated Applications within the TIA Product Assurance and Safety Office and will report hierarchically to the Head of TIA Product Assurance and Safety Office. For the maintenance of professional standards, for the implementation of the ESA general PA&S* policy and for contributions to corporate tasks (e.g. reviews, standardisation, alerts, lessons learned, etc.), you will also report to the Head of the Product Assurance and Safety Department (D/TEC).
* PA&S covers Safety, Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, Quality Assurance, Components, Materials and Processes and SW Product Assurance.
Your responsibilities and duties will include:
• establishment and maintenance of the tailored PA&S requirements baseline for assigned contracts, in compliance with the general ESA PA&S policy;
• reviewing contractors’ plans, specifications and effort proposed for the execution of the project PA&S;
• guiding and monitoring the implementation of PA&S requirements by contractors in order to assess performance/effectiveness, participating in design and safety reviews and directing the necessary preventive or corrective actions;
• planning, coordinating and monitoring the assigned PA&S workforce providing support to the project team;
• representing ESA in the boards established for reviews (failure reviews, test Reviews, etc) and in the disposition of non-conformances/anomalies, etc;
• guiding and monitoring the application and procurement of Electrical, Electronic and Electromechanical (EEE) parts, materials and processes and controlling implementation of the applicable requirements;
• ensuring the implementation of the software PA requirements baseline;
• ensuring the preparation of design trade-offs, analyses and reports using Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS) data to support project decisions;
• monitoring the manufacturing, integration and test activities with quality assurance audits, mandatory and key inspection points, test witnessing and configuration inspections;
• defining the formal acceptance requirements and conducting the acceptance reviews of all contractual deliverable items;
• reviewing contractors’ PA&S analyses and safety data packages, ensuring that they are available at planned dates to support the safety review schedule, in coordination with the safety authorities;
• providing support for the tracking of the overall implementation of PA&S verifications;
• supervising the performance of the contractor PA&S activities during launch campaigns.
In the execution of these tasks, you will be supported by experts from the project team and the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality.
• Result Orientation
• Operational Efficiency
• Fostering Cooperation
• Relationship Management
• Continuous Improvement
• Forward Thinking
A Master’s degree in engineering is required for this post.
Understanding and experience in Telecommunication missions in partnership with operators and/or industry.
For behavioural competencies expected from ESA staff in general, please refer to the ESA Competency Framework.
The working languages of the Agency are English and French. A good knowledge of one of these is required. Knowledge of another Member State language would be an asset.
The Agency may require applicants to undergo selection tests.
At the Agency we value diversity and we welcome people with disabilities. Whenever possible, we seek to accommodate individuals with disabilities by providing the necessary support at the workplace. The Human Resources Department can also provide assistance during the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss this further please contact us email [email protected].
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada, Latvia, Lithuania and Slovenia.
According to the ESA Convention, the recruitment of staff must take into account an adequate distribution of posts among nationals of the ESA Member States*. When short-listing for an interview, priority will first be given to internal candidates and secondly to external candidates from under-represented or balanced Member States*. (https://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/careers/NationalityTargets.pdf)
In accordance with the European Space Agency’s security procedures and as part of the selection process, successful candidates will be required to undergo basic screening before appointment.
Recruitment will normally be at the first grade in the band (A2); however, if the candidate selected has little or no experience, the position may be filled at A1 level.
*Member States, Associate Members or Cooperating States.