The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Office in Djibouti has positions for qualified interns for a period of 6 months, starting mid-March 2022 and later during the year.
UNDP partners with national governments and people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crises, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. Active in more than 170 countries and territories, UNDP offers a global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and build resilient nations. UNDP helps countries to build and share development solutions in the following four main areas:
1. Inclusive Livelihood and Resilience;
2. Democratic Governance;
3. Crisis Prevention and Recovery;
4. Environment and Energy for Sustainable Development.
In all its work, UNDP works to ensure the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women, youth, minorities and the poorest and most vulnerable.
The objectives of the UNDP in Djibouti derive mainly from the Country Program Action Plan (PAPP), and contributions to the strategic results of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF).
The main objective of the country program is to accelerate the achievement of the sustainable development goals. It tackles the interrelated challenges of development, humanitarian assistance and resilience and seeks to reduce poverty, gender inequalities, geographic inequalities and exclusion.
It promotes environmental sustainability and resilience through integrated strategies. It supports the most vulnerable and strengthens national institutional capacities for inclusive growth, poverty reduction, prevention of violent extremism and strengthening social cohesion.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of the Internship
- Enhance the educational experience of graduate students through practical and guided hands-on exposure and involvement in UNDP’s operations and development projects support in Djibouti;
- Provide graduate students with an exposure to the working environment of a multilateral organization and a better understanding of UNDP Djibouti’s goals and activities.
Functions/Duties and Output Expectations
Under the supervision of the Operations Manager, the intern supports the Office Operations by performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The intern will learn client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Intern works in close collaboration with the programme and projects staff, UN Agencies and the Operations team to ensure consistent service delivery.
The interns are expected to support in undertaking the following specific tasks:
Provide general administrative and logistical support to the Office in accordance with UNDP rules, regulations, policies, and strategies
- Arrange travel and hotel reservations for both international and in country travels, process requests for visas, identity cards and other documents, collect information for DSA, as required;
- Provide administrative support to conferences, workshops and retreats for UNDP and other non-resident UN agencies;
- Maintain proper filing system and ensuring safekeeping of documentation;
Provide administrative support to procurement and assets management
- Monitor and maintain office stationery supplies and telephone cards including maintenance of stock list of stationery and telephone cards, distribution and keeping a log of distribution, as required;
- Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, and RFPs documents, seeking quotations for micro-purchasing and their preliminary evaluation, and filing.
Provide administrative support to the implementation of Human Resources services
- Requests and follow up for recruitments and other HR services via UNall portal working closely with the Operations lead;
- Update the UN/UNDP orientation documentation and follow up with orientation package for newcomers
- Compilation and filing of HR documentation.
Provide administrative support with the implementation of common services activities
- Prepare invoices for agencies working closely with the Operations lead for common premises and services at Mezz tower
- Follow up implementation of Operations Management team (OMT) recommendations
- Develop feedback mechanism for services provided by the building management
- Excellent organizational, time management and strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to multi-task, to work flexibly and meet tight deadlines;
- Attention to details and proven ability to work independently and effectively with minimum supervision;
- Networking skills to engage with key internal and external partners;
Required Skills and Experience
Computer proficiency: MS Office
Eligibility and skills
Applicants to the UNDP internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a postgraduate degree programme (such as a master’s programme, or higher);
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (such as bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
(c) Have recently graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) and (b) above) and, if selected, must start the internship within one-year of graduation;
(d) Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program and undertake the internship as part of this program.
Fluency in written and spoken French. Fluency in English desirable.
- Interns may be given a stipend under conditions prescribed in the section on stipends, below. Costs and arrangements for travel, visas, passports, accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of: (a) The nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or (b) The intern.
- Interns are responsible for securing adequate medical insurance for the duration of their internship with UNDP and must provide a medical certificate of good health prior to starting the internship. UNDP will not reimburse the medical insurance of the intern. Any costs arising from accidents and illness incurred during an internship assignment will be the responsibility of the intern.
- Selected candidates for internships must show proof of valid medical insurance for the duty station in which they will intern. Applicants that are neither nationals nor residents of the duty station, the insurance must include adequate coverage in the event of an injury or illness during the internship duration which: (a) Requires transportation to the home country or country of residence for further treatment; (b) Results in death and requires preparation and return of the remains to the home country, or country of residence.
- UNDP accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to personal effects that may occur during the internship.
The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with UNDP but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
Qualified candidates are requested to send their applications to [email protected] with a subject: “Internship –Operations Team”
The application must contain the following materials (NB: incomplete applications will not be considered):
- Motivation letter specifying reasons why candidate is seeking the internship and what is expected from the experience;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Official letter from the University confirming enrollment and specifying expected graduation date as applicable ;
- Completed UNDP Application Form for Internships (MS Word/PDF):
Only those candidates who are shortlisted will be contacted for interview.
Before being offered a Letter of Acceptance for Internship, the selected candidate will have to provide the following additional documents:
- A Medical Certificate of Good Health from a recognized physician. If the intern is expected to travel outside the country of their residence, other than to Europe and North America, the physician must indicate whether s/he is for to travel and has the required inoculations for the country to which they are to travel;
- Proof of both Medical and Life Insurance cover valid for the duration of the internship programme.
Please click the following link for more information about UNDP’s internship programme: