Senior Program Officer, China Team
Senior Program Officer, China Team
- Hong Kong
- Hong Kong
- Full Time
- Program (Division)
- Country Programs - China
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries, while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
The Senior Program Officer will work closely with CHAI’s China Country Manager to provide analytical support and engage in project management for a range of partnerships and projects with the Chinese government and private sector actors in the field of global health. They will be exposed to work from various disease program areas, including but not limited to tuberculosis, cancer, maternal and child health, vaccines, malaria, hepatitis and assistive technology.
The main project the Senior Program Officer will be responsible for is focused on pediatric cancer in China. An estimated 30,000~40,000 new cases of pediatric cancer occur in China each year, representing 10% of the total global pediatric cancer cases; however, there currently remain some critical gaps contributing to low patient screening, care coverage and survival rates. The project involves working hand-in-hand with leading Chinese Children’s Hospitals, Hainan Provincial Health Commission, and domestic NGOs on joint planning and project implementation. In addition to this project, the Program Officer will also provide support across other disease programs and international cooperation projects mentioned in the previous paragraph.
The majority of such projects require cross-border cooperation and global coordination with both public and private sector stakeholders. The Senior Program Officer may work independently and/or with mixed teams consisting of project and local site staff from both within CHAI and external partners such as government entities, international organization, private companies and academic institutions.
The Senior Program Officer will be engaged in various activities related to research, data collection, stakeholder interviews, quantitative policy analysis, and financial and business modeling to provide support to the CHAI teams and their government counterparts in identifying root causes and developing appropriate interventions for informed policy changes. Given the scope and purpose of collaboration, the project team will use the insights generated to support evidence-based decision-making that may impact government policy, public health system structure and/or conduct, health financing, and purchasing and supply management strategies.
The Senior Program Officer is expected to lead and manage projects they will be engaged in. This requires both strategic thinking and execution effectiveness. They will be able to work in a flexible, entrepreneurial and results-driven manner under pressure, but still with optimism even in the face of complex challenges.
- Assist the China Country Manager and relevant disease program teams to develop and implement the project activities as required by the partnership framework, work plan and budget;
- Project management, which includes work closely with government partners and other stakeholders to monitor project progress, manage project timelines, control budgets and ensure work orders and deliverables are organized and coordinated to achieve project goals;
- Lead and/or support data collection, interviews, quantitative analysis, report drafting to generate evidence-based policy and formulate recommendations in strategic scenarios;
- Assist government partner teams to develop methodologies including tools, processes, key performance/success indicators that are highly relevant and appropriate for analyses, project management and goal fulfillment;
- Provide strategic recommendations for development of new programs, project management, communication and process improvement;
- Regular relationship development and management with external stakeholders;
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree or Advanced Degree in public health, medicine, economics, political sciences, business, or related fields
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience in international organizations, policy development, management consulting, investment banking and/or similar functions
- Fluent in both English and Mandarin Chinese (speaking, reading, and writing in a professional setting)
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong communication skills in different cultural settings and high level of sensitivity for relationship-building with stakeholders from both private and public sectors
- Strong analytical background, including ability to conduct financial analysis and business case development
- Ability to work proactively and independently without extensive structural or operational support
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, either independently or with teams
- Ability to be effective in high-pressure situations and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to achieve maximum efficiency and impact with limited human and financial resources
- Respectful of and ability to thrive within local cultures and styles across varying global contexts
- Experience working and living in China
- Experience in the healthcare sector
- Project implementation and management experience