- Function title: Systems Engineer
- Reference: NOC-NM-2022-AD/460
- Location: Brussels - Information about living in Brussels
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Staff regulations governing officials of the EUROCONTROL Agency
- Grades for publication: AD5-6-7-8 - Check salary simulations for the basic grade
- Type of post: Administrator (AD5-AD12 )
- Number of posts: 3
- Duration: 5 Year (s)
- Security clearance: None required
- Directorate/Service: NMD/TEC/DAD - Development and Delivery Unit
- Competition publication date: 21/04/2022
- Competition closing date: 02/06/2022 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Network Management Directorate , "Technology" develops and maintains NMD’s mission-critical systems, including all airspace network management operational systems, the related communications facilities and technical infrastructure. It supports the Agency's IT solutions and services.
Your role will be to:
- Participate to the definition and follow-up of the product roadmap implementation and support the product lifecycle.
- Ensure that the products’ deliverables fulfil the business needs and are compliant with safety, security and quality standards and regulations.
- Ensure that business domain experts and business analysts review, analyse and translate business requirements into technical specifications for internal and/or external development teams.
- Monitor the product delivery progress; ensure compliance with development processes, identify risks, obstacles, solve product related problems, conduct trade-off analyses, review priorities, take decisions and coordinate with relevant teams.
- Oversee external suppliers and their deliverables.
- Drive the maintenance and evolution of the Digital Products to ensure very high level of availability, reliability and quality.
- Contribute to or lead workshops, share expertise, participate to internal and external working groups, projects, fora, etc.
- Carry out any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- University studies of at least 3 years in a relevant domain (e.g. Computer Science, Engineering, etc.). A higher education level (e.g. Master’s degree) would be an asset.
- Internal candidates should check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant working experience.
- Experience with the application of modern software development methodologies and standards in large-scale software systems.
- Experience with system and software architectures.
- Understanding of Agile process and principles.
- Experience with the following systems would be an advantage:
o Mission critical systems
o ATM systems
- Technical drafting skills (English).
- Analytical thinking: Analyses information and identifies relationships.
- Communication: Fosters two-way communication.
- Result focus: Seeks to improve personal performance.
- Decision-making: Takes decisions based on balanced arguments.
- Teamwork: Fosters teamwork.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular job, candidates must be proficient users of English at level C1/C2. The selected candidate will be required to become basic users of French at level A1/A2 before the end of the probation period.
The levels relate to the Common European Framework of References for languages (CEFR).
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only.
- Duration of appointment: This is an appointment for a determined period of 5 Year(s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 9 years or converted into an undetermined contract.
- Internal candidates
If selected, the person will keep their current type of appointment duration (undetermined or determined).
The internal staff member with a determined contract will be offered, in principle, an appointment for 5 Year(s) with a maximum total duration of 9 years.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade in the function group and to the type of post indicated in the vacancy notice, or, if a group of grades has been published, in principle at the basic grade.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the closing date of applications .
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: https://www.eurocontrol.int/careers
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from the under-represented diversity characteristics in order to complement diversity of teams and rebalance the workforce.
- Candidates should go to our Careers website and read the tips on how to apply.