Software Developer (C++ Backend Developer)
- Function title: Software Developer (C++ Backend Developer)
- Reference: NOC-MA-2022-FGIV/459
- Location: Maastricht - Information about living in Maastricht
- Nature of the competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL
- Grades: AC 16/18 - Check salary simulations for the basic grade
- Generic post: Specialist (FG-IV) (16/18 )
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration of engagement: 3 Year (s)
- Security clearance: EU/NATO SECRET
- Directorate/Service: MAAS/ATM/TS - Technical Systems
- Competition publication date: 28/04/2022
- Competition closing date: 26/05/2022 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Directorate Maastricht Upper Area Control Centre , The "Technical Systems" service is responsible for the maintenance, development and improvement of software products which support MUAC in achieving its safety and capacity targets and sustain the growing air traffic demand. It provides also resources to various projects in its area of expertise and maintains technical hardware.
EUROCONTROL Maastricht UAC (MUAC), looking at enhanced automation support tools for Air Traffic Controllers (ATCO), is building a new system called ATC Real Ground-breaking Operational System (ARGOS), acting as an “electronic assistant” to the ATCO. ARGOS, fully designed and developed by MUAC, will support ATCOs in managing traffic in their sectors. It can detect potential threats with a look ahead of 8 minutes and is able to adopt specific interaction avoidance / separation assurance strategies based on lateral or vertical manoeuvre, on the basis of a deterministic model derived from the strategies currently used by the ATCOs.
ARGOS is finally supposed to be operated in three different levels of automation:
- Decision Support Tool mode of operations
- Hybrid mode of operations
- Automated mode of operations
The successful candidate will join the Surveillance Data Processing Team of the Technical Systems unit and become a member of the ARGOS server development team, responsible for the design and implementation of the ARGOS algorithms in an operational and safety critical system, using the C++ programming language. S/he will work in close cooperation with the other ARGOS teams: the Human Machine Interface (HMI) Team, responsible for the Controller Working Position (CWP) as user interface, and the ATM Capacity Tools and Environment (ACE) Team, responsible for prototyping the completely new ARGOS algorithms.
As member of the ARGOS project team, you will work on the design and implementation of a new and innovative product to support automation in Air Traffic Control.
Your role will be to:
- Analyse requirements in close collaboration with the operational experts, evaluate, identify and design innovative software solutions to satisfy business needs.
- Design and implement complex software changes, including prototyping, documentation, unit testing and delivery in compliance with aerospace-grade quality and safety management standards.
- Analyse technical and operational problem reports, determine the diagnostics and fix for the problems, including modification of existing source code.
- Critically review source code, documentation, test suite changes and test results performed by other developers.
- Produce complex technical papers and software lifecycle documents and contribute to safety and security assessments.
- Manage software development work packages, including effort estimation, planning and implementation.
- Coach and train other engineers on relevant technical matters.
- Participate in working groups and studies related to ATC automation.
- Carry any other task related to the main purpose of the job.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of at least 4 years in Computer Science or an equivalent engineering domain with keen interest (e.g. thesis, electives) in algorithms, mathematics, artificial intelligence, SW development or other innovative programming.
- In addition to the above, minimum 4 years of relevant working experience.
- Experience in designing and developing large scale software applications (>100 kSLOC), implementing complex, high-performance algorithms, preferably in a Unix environment.
- Experience using C++, knowledge of recent C++ standards and techniques experience in developing and maintaining software and documentation in accordance with recognized industrial quality and safety standards (SWAL 3 or equivalent).
- Experience with the “git” version control system would be an asset.
- Understanding of Air Traffic Management systems.
- Analytical thinking: analyses information and identifies relationships.
- Problem-solving: anticipates and solves business issues.
- Creativity and innovation: applies new approaches.
- Communication: fosters two-way communication.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular post, thorough knowledge of English and satisfactory knowledge of the other language to the extent necessary for the performance of the described duties are required. The levels relate to the Common European Framework of References for languages (CEFR).
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only.
- The selected candidate will be offered a contract of 3 Year (s) pursuant to the provisions of the Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL. The contract may be renewed. Before being established in the post, he/she will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- The successful candidate shall be engaged in principle at the basic grade of the advertised grades.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the closing date of applications.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: https://www.eurocontrol.int/careers
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, age, disability, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, religion or belief, marital or parental status and sexual orientation.
In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from the under-represented diversity characteristics.
- Candidates should go to our Careers website and read the tips on how to apply.