Deputy Country Director
LocationPosition based in Ternipol or Kyiv with field travel to West, Central, North and East Regions of Ukraine via Poland.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, from 12 to 24 months, 6 to 12 months will also be possible.
Manage the development and implementation of the Ukraine support functions to facilitate the implementation of the country programme strategy. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the support functions, the Deputy Country Director plays a key role in systems development, legal compliance, grant management, operational coordination, and team leadership.
The purpose of Medair’s multi-sector relief programme in Ukraine is to save lives and alleviate human suffering by working in emergency response locations, with vulnerable populations and providing essential life-saving health, WASH, shelter/infrastructure, NFI/CVA, protection and mental health and psychosocial services.
Key Activity Areas
- Contribute to the strategic direction, leadership, and change management of the Ukraine programme as part of the Senior Management Team.
- Deputise for the Country Director during periods of absence, assuming responsibility for all aspects of the country programme.
- Deputise for other senior managers as required during periods of absence.
- Promote continuous improvements and innovations to achieve greater operational efficiencies.
Programme Support Management
- Facilitate cross cutting communications between the programme teams and the support functions.
- Support the preparation and implementation of clear policies, procedures, and guidelines as appropriate and with the relevant managers and GSO staff, so as to enhance the smooth running of the programmes through standardized procedures and improved support.
- Manage budgets and expenditures for support and shared costs, ensuring budgets are spent according to proposals, regulations, and time frames.
- Line-manage the Finance Manager to oversee that financial procedures are adhered to, ensuring strong financial monitoring and controls.
- Line-manage the Logistics Manager to provide logistical support to programme staff.
- Ensure procedures are maintained in logistics (procurement, equipment and stock management, fleet, transport, and facilities).
- Line-manage the Human Resources Manager to oversee all human resource functions such as recruitment, onboarding, training and development, performance management, payroll, and offboarding.
- Ensure Medair IT systems for finance, logs, and HR are successfully operationalised and implemented by Medair Jordan and donor guidelines are followed.
- Ensure all in-country legal requirements are met including registration, reporting, insurance, work permits, contracts, employment, etc., overseeing the government liaison to ensure strong relationships with government departments and other official bodies.
- Support the Security Focal Point (Country Director) to oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols (including security incident reports), to manage security incidents, to update and implement security plans and protocols, and to provide training in security-related topics.
- Serve as the Deputy Security Focal Point, providing support and coverage to the Security Focal Point in their absence.
- Ensure all staff members and all visitors receive appropriate briefings and on-going training in security-related topics. Oversee staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Support the Country Director in the maintenance of relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at relevant meetings to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Line-manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development in knowledge and performance.
- Assist designated direct reports in their line management and leadership responsibilities.
- Reflect the vision and live the values of Medair at all times, interacting with team members to provide leadership, advice and support as needed.
- Facilitate regular team and individual meetings and develop and build an effective team through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support-related activities and requirements.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with donors, lawyers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
- Review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
- Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards and WHO recommendations.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). Ukrainian and/or Polish will be an advantage.
Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
What is the ROC and why is it required?
- At least two years of post-qualification management experience in a relevant senior management position.
- At least 1-year post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting. Good understanding of cross-cultural issues.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience in coaching and training staff.
- Advanced leadership and consultative management skills. Accountable decision-maker.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and CHS Standards.
- Excellent communicator. Problem solving ability. Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong organisational and time management skills. Good numerical and report writing skills.
- Dynamic and mature personality, able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
- Able to build trust and enforce procedures.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: