Job status: In-progress
Job category: Consultancy
Duty station: Remote
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
CIFOR-ICRAF science writers will write science- and research-based news articles that reflect the missions of CIFOR-ICRAF and GLF and grow the audiences of Forests News and Landscape News, the news platforms of the respective organizations. The writers will work under the supervision of the Forests News and Landscape News editors, who will assign stories based on research publications, sectoral events, the global environmental news cycle and web traffic/readership trends. The writer has a strong journalistic and storytelling background and can write accurately and engagingly, weaving together information from multiple sources and meeting deadlines. The writer also fact-checks his/her articles and works collaboratively through editing processes. The writer might also write/edit web, social media or other communications content as needed.
Duties and responsibilities
- Writes 1-5 articles per month, based on need, approximately 600-1,500 words each, assigned by editor or from an accepted pitch
- Works closely with Forests News and Landscape News editors throughout writing and editing process
- Organizes and conducts interviews, often across time zones, during reporting process
- Understands CIFOR-ICRAF and GLF networks of scientists, partners and donors, and incorporates relevant sources and research publications into the research and interview processes
- Covers CIFOR-ICRAF, GLF and partner events when necessary, writing quick-turnaround coverage
- Writes across a variety of different story types, including news, feature, profile, photo essay, list, how-to, etc.
- Pitches ideas to editors based on organizational missions and events, as well as links to wider trends, news and stories in the climate and environmental space
- Understands SEO and readership growth, and aligns writing of articles accordingly
- Liaises with social media teams when needed to help manage promotion of stories
- Able to also write content for web, social media, and other communications products (press releases, newsletters, etc.)
Education, knowledge and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, (digital) marketing or a related, relevant field
- English native and excellent in communication (both verbal and written)
- 3 years of full-time experience as a writer/editor for online media or print media
- Strong understanding of journalistic writing and principles and AP/Chicago style
- Knowledge of French, Spanish, German, Bahasa Indonesia, Portuguese a plus
- Experienced interviewer
- Experience doing research using multiple sources
- Always meets deadlines
- Must be able to multitask and work well under pressure
- Excellent understanding of different multiple type of content formats and channels and strong knowledge and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media
- Proven ability to coordinate content contributions within a team and/or across teams; ability to build strong working relations with counterparts
- Background and understanding of environment, climate, forestry or related subject areas and science communications
Personal attributes and competencies
- Accomplished and passionate journalist
- Inspired to contribute to a more sustainable future through storytelling
- Excellent communicator and collaborator
- Strong sense of ownership in decision-making
- Enjoys and excels in research, interview, writing and editing processes
- Attention to detail and focus on quality output is essential
- A results-driven personality who’s inspired to work independently
- Has flexible work hours and enjoy working remotely
- Must possess excellent organizational and planning skills
- Flexibility and ability to work effectively across different time zones
- Proven ability to work well under pressure and manage a high workload efficiently
- Able to manage multiple projects and keep track of multiple deliverables at once
Terms and conditions
- This is a consultant position.
- The duty station will be remote. To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers To learn more about CIFOR, please visit our website at: https://www.cifor.org CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
Application processThe application deadline is 01 Jun-2022
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.