Administrative Assistant (Corporate Services) - Local recruitment for Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire -
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
The Corporate Services Department (CSD), led by the Associate Vice-President, CSD, provides IFAD with the human resources, administrative services, safety and security, information technology resources and medical support services required to allow IFAD to meet its objectives of enabling rural people overcome poverty. The work of the CSD is undertaken by three divisions: (i) Administrative Services Division (ADM); (ii) Human Resources Division (HRD); and (iii) Information and Communication Technology Division (ICT) and three units: (a) Front Office CSD (FCS); (b) Field Support Unit (FSU); and (c) Medical Services Unit (MSU).
FSU services colleagues and offices in the field, with the ambition of being a strategic, business-oriented and fully trusted professional partner with IFAD managers and staff assigned to IFAD regional, multi-country, country and liaisons offices. The Unit provides a dedicated partnership to IFAD workforce and offices in the field to ensure the efficient delivery of corporate initiatives related to its field activities as well as UN Reform initiatives directly linked to CSD mandate, namely Business Operations Strategy (BOS), Common Back Office (CBO) and Common Premises (CP). To achieve this, FSU is mandated to manage CSD-related field operations and provide coordination and advisory services aimed at strengthening the functionality of IFAD Regional, Multi-Country, Country and Liaison Offices. This includes functions of field-related general administration, administrative support staff pool, CSD-related administrative budget monitoring and analysis for the portion of corporate administrative budget for rent and common services centrally managed by the Unit, coordination of outsourced services with local UN entities or through UN Reform initiatives (BOS and CBO), service level agreements with host agencies, host country agreements, accreditation of offices and staff and privileges and immunities.
The incumbent works under the supervision of the Administrative Assistant (Corporate Services Coordination), and under the overall guidance of the Corporate Services Manager. In performing her/his duties in line with the Delegation of Authority, and aligned to the annual work plan as defined by the Corporate Services Manager, the incumbent will work in close collaboration with the Regional Office Administration.
The Administrative Assistant is accountable for communications, operational and secretarial support services to enhance the smooth running of the team and its workflow and management of information.
Key Functions and Results
1. OFFICE SUPPORT: Ensures the full range of office support to all professionals in the Regional Office. Accountabilities typically include programme related travel arrangements, including related PeopleSoft Financials Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) transactions, handling of visas and logistical arrangements, and supporting staff in being compliant with UNDSS recommendations on travel. Processes and verify accuracy of essential documents and requests for consultancy contract requests received from clients. Reviews all outgoing correspondence and official documents for style, factual and grammatical accuacy as well as conformance with established guidelines and procedures; preparing correspondence for the supervisor’s signature;.
2. COMMUNICATIONS & WORKFLOW: Facilitates the communications and workflow of the organizational unit to enhance the efficiency and timeliness of operations and outputs. Accountabilities typically include managing incoming and outgoing correspondence, e-mails and telephone calls; researching background documentation; communicating routine and some non-routine information pertaining to the work of the team; establishing/maintaining the office filing and reference systems, both traditional and digital;
3. CORPORATE SERVICES: In consultation with the Administrative Assistant (Corporate Services & Coordination) and under the overall guidance of the Corporate Services Manager, the support will be provided in close collaboration with the relevant business owners. The Administrative Assistant (Corporate Services) ensures the full range of corporate services support in line with the Delegation of Authority, aligned to the annual work plan as defined by the Corporate Services Manager, in particular be in the areas of field-related general administration, administrative support arranging travel, procurement, human resources and information technology support.
4. MANAGERIAL FUNCTIONS: Is accountable for integrity, transparency, and equity in the personal use of assigned IFAD resources, including equipment, and supplies.
Key Performance Indicators
Administrative Assistants at this level typically report to a senior professional staff member or to a team leader; therefore the scope of key results is limited to the organizational unit. The Administrative Assistant provides support in the application of established rules and procedures as well as in typical, non-specialized support work. The work is standard in nature; there are no specialized administrative activities that would require formal training performed on a regular and recurring basis. Key performance indicators include the timely and accurate performance of assigned activities.
Administrative Assistants at this level typically are accountable for the exchange of routine, and less frequently non-routine, information with counterparts within IFAD. Routine exchange of information within the Fund includes arranging travel, procurement and information technology support. Typical contacts within the division, office or department as well as external contacts consist of responding to inquiries.
Routine exchanges take place mainly with the CSD business owners in the office, and in offices without relevant CSD business owners with counterparts in IFAD headquarters.
Job Profile Requirements
- Building relationships and partnerships - Builds and maintains effective working relationships
- Communicating and negotiating - Communicates effectively; creates understanding between self and others
- Demonstrating leadership - Personal leadership and attitude to change
- Focusing on clients - Focuses on clients
- Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating - Continuously seeks to learn, shares knowledge & innovates
- Managing performance and developing staff -
- Managing time, resources and information - Manages own time, information and resources effectively
- Problem-solving and decision-making - Demonstrates sound problem-solving and decision-making ability
- Strategic thinking and organizational development - Personal influence
- Team working - Contributes effectively to the team
- Level – High school certificate
- Areas of focus - accounting, business administration, economics, finance, or related areas.
- At least three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in secretarial and administrative support.
- Position-specific experience: Qualifying work experience in supporting office administration, communication and information management, resource planning and output monitoring. Experience with International financial institutions, development cooperation agencies, etc., would be an asset.
- English and French (4 - Excellent)
- Conferences management: Know-how in conference management, including optimal utilization of human and physical resources
- Record management: Know-how in record keeping (e.g. proper handling of records and systems to preserve institutional memory, including correspondence logs, office filing and reference systems, etc.)
- Topical expertise - Administration: Expertise relevant to the specific role (e.g. For ethics office assistant, procedures outlined in the Code of Conduct, Discipline and Anti-harassment provisions of applicable rules and guidelines)
- Time management: Adherence to deadlines under time constraints and pressure (e.g. to deliver governing body documents on time); ability to coordinate and manage complex workflows and in-house and external teams
- Basic ICT & digital fluency: Expertise relevant to the specific role (e.g. in-depth, computer information systems, including micro-computer operating systems software, hardware and applications software and other office technology equipment), end-user computing configuration management
- Initiative and good judgment: High sense of proactive initiative-taking and good judgement (including on security matters)
- Interpersonal skills: Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with others (e.g. visitors, clients, callers, etc.), including senior individuals (e.g. high-level meeting participants)
Applicants for this vacancy must be legally authorized to live and work in the country of recruitment (Côte d'Ivoire) at the time of application. Any job offer is subject to the evidence from the candidate to have obtained and be able to maintain the legal status to live and work in the country of recruitment. IFAD is committed to achieving gender diversity. Women are particularly encouraged to apply. This vacancy is for multiple positions.
Applicants should note that IFAD staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the President of IFAD. In accordance with IFAD's Human Resources Policy, the President can decide to assign them to any of the activities of the Fund.
In the interest of making most cost-effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful.
Candidates may be required to take a written test as well as participate in interviews.