ASSOCIATE RESEARCH SCIENTIST- DEMOGRAPHER
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya. APHRC conducts policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues in sub-Saharan Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit an Associate Research Scientist- Demographer to work in the West Africa Regional Office (WARO) based in Dakar, Senegal.
- Lead the development of a demographic research theme with a focus on the West and Central Africa regions;
- Provide leadership to demographic research, explore and analyze demographic data within the region, including but not limited to fertility, mortality, urbanization, demographic dividend, population projections, and other human population changes;
- Lead and contribute to proposal development and fundraising for research projects;
- Provide analytical advice and support to researchers developing proposals and writing scientific papers;
- Lead desk reviews, policy analysis and development of protocols and tools;
- Oversee data management and analyses;
- Contribute to policy engagement and the unit’s strategic planning;
- Mentor junior researchers and facilitate in the Center’s training programs as needed;
- Ensure community mobilization and education of the community in relation to the research;
- Secure and manage the necessary human, financial and material resources of the project;
- Represent the Center at high level national, regional and international forums, including relevant technical working groups and expert committees;
- Actively engage in scientific publications including peer-reviewed articles, briefing papers and blogs and production of donor reports;
- Contribute to institutional publications including and not limited to lay dissemination materials such as policy/research briefs and fact sheets; and
- Oversee/lead development of field and training manuals.
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in Demography, Populations Studies, Public Health, Sociology, Statistics, or equivalent in related disciplines.
- Have 3-5 years’ of relevant post-doctoral experience.
- Strong writing skills and good record of publications, which utilize defined analytical methodologies.
- Experience in developing proposals. Evidence of previous successful grants will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in managing research projects, including experience in conducting, coordinating and managing surveys.
- Proven experience in conducting desk and literature reviews
- Strong quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting data), with good familiarity with quantitative statistical packages (e.g. STATA, R).
- Expertise in political economy research or qualitative methods; familiarity with qualitative analysis software packages (e.g. NVivo) will be an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team.
- Experience working in Francophone West Africa.
- Must be bilingual with (fluently communicate and write in English and French).
This position is classified under Internationally Recruited Positions (IRP), Grade V in our scales.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application in English and include:
- A letter of application;
- A statement of research interests and goals (1-2 pages); and
via our recruitment portal https://aphrc.org/vacancies/. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Cover letters should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
Immeuble Diallo Lô, 5e étage Lot 325-327 CICES VDN, Dakar Sénégal
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the protection of vulnerable persons