Investment Support Officer
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
• Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO's values
• FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
• All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The FAO Investment Centre (CFI) aims to be the go-to place for investment and finance solutions that lead to more efficient, sustainable, inclusive and resilient agrifood systems. Working in over 120 countries, CFI provides a full suite of investment and finance support to FAO Members. It partners with governments, international financial institutions, national and international organizations, the private sector, research institutions, academia and producer organizations to improve the quality and quantity of agrifood investment. The Centre’s four main areas of work include support to strategic investment planning and policy, public investment, private investment, and innovative finance. These are complemented by the knowledge of investment and capacity development for investment programmes that serve to share knowledge more widely and position the Centre as a trusted voice on investment and finance.
CFI is a multidisciplinary Centre comprising the Director’s office, which leads on strategy and business development, knowledge management, communication and administration, and five regional services: Asia and the Pacific; Near East and North Africa, and Europe and Central Asia; West and Central Africa; East and Southern Africa; and Latin America and the Caribbean.
The post is part of the East and Southern Africa Service (CFIA) of the FAO Investment Centre (CFI) and is located at the FAO Subregional Office for Southern Africa (SFS) in Harare, Zimbabwe.
The Investment Support Officer reports to the Chief, East and Southern Africa Service of the FAO Investment Centre and works in collaboration with the Head of the FAO Subregional Office for Southern Africa in Harare, Zimbabwe.
Provide analytical and technical support on any of the following areas linked to: agricultural development, economic and financial issues, water resources management, irrigation, drainage and rural infrastructure, agribusiness development, sustainable natural resources management, land tenure, land administration, sustainable livestock management, agricultural services, rural institutions, resilience and risk management, access to markets, and private sector development for the formulation, implementation and evaluation of investment policies, strategies, programmes and projects in food and agriculture, rural development, natural resources management and agro-processing.
Delivering investment and finance support solutions through the provisions of technical expertise/assistance and support to capacity development, in collaboration with country stakeholders and cooperating partners, to achieve impact at scale in the transformation of agrifood systems within the scope of the FAO Strategic Framework.
• Participates in, and eventually leads, multidisciplinary teams to assist governments in the identification and preparation of investment and finance support initiatives in the fields of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resources management and agro-processing, and participates in pre-appraisal and appraisal missions.
• Participates in, and eventually leads, multidisciplinary teams for the implementation support and the preparation of final evaluation of investment and finance support solutions.
• Provides technical expertise for the preparation of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resources management and agro-processing studies and strategies, in the formulation of national sector and/or sub-sector investment policies, plans and programmes.
• Supports the development of inclusive and sustainable food systems involving producers, their organizations, other private sector actors, civil society organizations and governments.
• Formulates and delivers capacity development initiatives in the areas of food and agriculture, rural development, natural resources management and agro-processing investment support to government staff, non-state actors and private sector organizations.
• Prepares documents in accordance with the requirements of FAO, governments and financial partners.
• Provides support in task organization, selection of consultants, preparation of terms of reference and in ensuring the quality of outputs.
• Promotes international cooperation and collaboration leading to new investment opportunities and cooperative agreements, advocates best practices and effective policy dialogue, and provides technical expertise at international meetings.
• Establishes, promotes and maintains relationships with relevant Strategic Programmes, FAO Technical Units and Decentralized Offices in order to ensure best synergies between investment, policy and innovation work in support to Member countries.
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate Strategy.
• Provides guidance and advice to junior staff.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced University degree in economics, agricultural economics, agricultural sciences, environmental sciences, agribusiness management, natural resources management, irrigation and drainage engineering, rural infrastructure engineering, social sciences or a related field.
• Seven years of relevant experience in conducting agricultural/rural sector/subsector analytical studies, and/or in planning, design, supervision of agricultural and rural investment operations, including elaboration of feasibility studies and implementation of agricultural and rural investment operations in developing countries and/or countries in transition.
• Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge sharing and continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
• Extent and relevance of experience in participating in multidisciplinary teams for the preparation of strategies and sector studies as well as formulation, implementation support or evaluation of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resources management and agro-processing investment and finance support solutions.
• Extent and relevance of experience in food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resources management and agro-processing analytical studies and programme evaluation.
• Extent and relevance of experience in investment design including monitoring and evaluation frameworks and project implementation manuals, implementation support and evaluation procedures of FAO’s main development partners, in particular the World Bank and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) and other partner International Financial Institutions (IFIs).
• Knowledge of the context, as well as partners and institutions, of the specific subregion would be an asset.
• Relevance of experience in capacity development for the design and implementation of food security, agriculture, rural development, natural resources management and agro-processing investments.
• Demonstrated experience in dealing with government officials, development partners and other country stakeholders.
• Demonstrated capacity to write technical reports in English.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: